HID Headlights for 308/328: Sylvania Xenarc X6024 | FerrariChat

HID Headlights for 308/328: Sylvania Xenarc X6024

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, May 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was investigating upgrading the headlamps on my 328 to true HID (my 308 had "Xenon" which was a very nice, cost effective upgrade for $100 total, but I was looking to do true HID this time around).

Sylvania makes an HID product line called "Xenarc", with the X6024 version appearing to fit the 7" round headlamps we have in our 308/328s:
    http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/prodinfo.htm

Here is the specific page on their X6024 product:
    http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/x60246054.htm

You'll note that it is listed as being street legal (whether or not it's DOT approved, or if that even matters, I don't know.) This is a sealed beam kit that comes with a wiring harness, ballast, built-in halogen high beam support bulb, standard HID bulbs, and installation instructions. Seems to be complete.

Here's a link to the Installation Manual (PDF):
    http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/pdfs/x6024man.pdf

These prices seem to have come down significantly. Here is one online store that you can get the kit for $349, with free shipping:
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rodi/sylxenhidx6s.html

This store has them for $497:
    http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/Headlights-x6024.htm

(I don't know anything about the reputation of this store, I just found it online by doing a Google search.) Xenarc products are also apparently sold in many retail auto shops.

I thought I read that Chuck (Atlantaman) And Greg Rogers both had tried this kit.

Any experience or thoughts with HID systems, or this system in particular? (Not interested in the non HID upgraded lamps, which I have direct experience with...).

Of course, too, there's also HID auxilliary driving lights! Do these fit the 328 driving lights?

2. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    I will also be doing this upgrade to my Dino when she comes back from the paint shop. Actually, I've been considering doing this ever since I saw a Cobra with HIDs. So I figured both cars have 7inch lights so it's gotta be a universal kit.

I'd be interested in hearing any experiences as well.

3. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    The XENARC 7" kit works fine in my 308. The lighting is great although the light "pattern" is a bit funky--looks like a "Y" pattern--go figgure.......

anyway--i got mine off of EBAY on a closeout for 350

you will need to take a cutting wheel/die grinder and cut out a 2x1" notch in the bottom section of the headlight "ring" (thing that headlight seats up against) to accomodate teh new lamp shape--it had a bulge in the lower half for teh secondary H1 highbeam.

I have not tried the x2020 fog lights-- yet---

4. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    OH YEA--- there is a diode box included to keep the lowbeams on full time --you do not want them to go off when the hi's are on---the Ferrari uses independant wireing on right and left sides. you can either call sylvania and they will send a second diode for free OR-- install a relay to the lights and run it from 1 side only.

I installed a relay and run them off of 1 side --NOW ANOTHER POINT----

when switching from low to hi or hi to low --you may have noticed that your lights go out for a second--danmed lowsy ferrari design here i must say--i installed a capacitor at my relay to keep the lows on for .2 seconds after power loss just so the lights wont "blink" on switching.

5. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Thanks Charles for the 411. Any part numbers for the relay and the capacitor?

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Timely thread.

I purchased both the X6024 & X2020 fog/aux. lo-beam last fall, & was planning to start installation tonight! I picked them up when Sylvania's store had them on clearance.

Knew about the cutting out the headlight dish (aka ring), but the need to delay the low beam switching is new.

BTW, I've got a 2nd X6024 kit, but really need an X6054 for my Rx7 daily driver. Will trade housings w/someone...

One big plus, these HID kits draw a lot less power than the regular bulbs. Easier on the old alternator.

Also, they are powered by a fused line direct to the battery, so there's less current going thru the column switch headlight contacts.

BTW, A couple of weeks ago I wrote Sylvania asking if it would be possible to buy the X6054 housings to convert my kit & was told that they were no longer available, even for repair/replacement purposes. Apparently all that's left is whatever inventory retailers have on their shelves...

Not sure that this applies to things like ballasts tho, they seem to be pretty universal.

7. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Verell, I'm all about timeliness :).

You mentioned 2020s. These seem to actually be the main beam for Chevy's? Is that right?

Wouldn't our fog lights (in a 328, anyway) be 1010s?

The fused harness direct to battery is something I did on my old 308 and felt VERY comfortable with it--fused, relayed, heavy guage, insulated wire.

QUESTION: Won't DRILLING the headlight dish MODIFIY the dispersion pattern of the light? The light REFELCTS off of the parabolic-like dish backdrop, right?

8. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Verell, as a baseline, may we ask what you paid for them on clearance from the Sylvania store?

If you don't want to answer, just ignore the question and I'll assume that this post just got lost in the thread :).

9. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Mike--not in the light itself--see below

10. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    by the way--it is true that the bulbs are only 35w--BUT that is at 40000volts too--with the power loss thru heat on the xmfr-these lights draw MORE amps than conventional 55/60 and about equal to 90/100 watt setups

11. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well hell! So they do draw more POWER (P = I*V, right?) than stock! Heh, less current, more volts, but more (mathematical, anyway) power P.

90/100, and no way I'm running through stock wiring/fusebox--so the relayed wiring harness (I presume it's relayed!) is nice.

Thanks for the picture of the headlamp assembly housing mod. I see that, just as you pointed out, you didn't modify the actual sealed lens unit itself, but just the Ferrari metal housing part in order to accomodate the new Xenarc sealed beam. Right?

Also Chuck, I see you did this to your 308. The headlamp housing assemblies should be the same in the 308/328, 7" round, is that right?

Any ideas yet on the size of the 328's built-in driving lamps?

12. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Also, here picture of complete 6024 Kit.

Some notes:

1. From the picture, the wiring harness is relayed.

2. These bulbs have a built-in (Halogen, I believe) high-beam.

3. There is apparenly a "v2.0" or second-generation version of this product.

4. This web store sells for $400/pair: http://suvlights.tripod.com/suvlightscom/html/2ndgen6024.htm

13. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Mike

I would be apprehensive to do any splicing, mods, or cutting to the elec system on these cars, in addition to bolting on all the neccessary pieces for this kit.Not to mention an additional load on a already taxed and weak elec system.

With the auxillary fog lights on you get plenty of lighting to see at night unless you plan on doing 120 on some dark twisty road.

14. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike

Thanks for the info... I myself am less hesitant to do modifications in this area. The electrical systems really aren't that delicate, and this modification actually REDUCES load and dependency on the main electrical system and at the fusebox and power distribution junction area, because you run the lights, fused of course, directly off of the battery. The current that used to supply the lights now is simply used to switch on and off relays, which in turn create a circuit between the headlamps and the battery.

I've done a fair amount of electrical work on these cars--I've traced shorts, done the "headlight mod," completely fabricated a new fusebox, and upgraded my old 308's headlamps with a similar direct battery wiring harness. In general, the electrical systems aren't horrible. In my opinion, the electrical systems are noted as "weak" or problematic because:

1. The OLD 308s had "only" 55amp output capacity alternators (328s have 85A, adequate in my opinion);

2. These cars are 15, 20, and 25 years old. The alternators NEED to rebuilt, and will ALL eventually fail (often the Voltage Regular). There must be 10 threads about alternators alone started by 10 different people. Now, that's not Ferrari, that's Bosch Alternators and they are truly a Limited Life Component (LLC). And a failing alternator will cause all sorts of problems--nuking batteries, causing erratic ignition behavior, etc.

3. 308 fuseboxes have issues with the riveted fuse holder, and with the exposed-fuse lead design. This is just bad design, and causes all sorts of problems, in particular resistance at the fusebox. This of course causes fuel pumps to fail, radiator fans to turn slowly, etc. Clean it, re-solder it, rebuild it, replace it, or fabricate a new one, and all these problems is solved. It's not like the WIRING is bad.

4. Grounds. Old cars get dirty. The grounds become less effective: at the battery, and at the various other grounding points in the car.

Many folks mention "Italian Electrical Gremlins." All cars can have electrical gremlins. ALL OLD FERRARIS will have problems #1, #2, #3 and #4 stated above, period, especially so as they age. Fortunately, they're all correctable and all really not that big of a deal.

As far as the actual effectiveness of the headlight upgrade goes, when you see the difference between 308/328 stock lighting versus HID or EVEN JUST PLAIN upgraded xenon-imatation lighting, it's totally like night and day, literally. It has nothing to do with doing 120mph on twisties and everything to do with just plain being able to see at night! And I'm one of these young whipper snappers with the good night vision, too! The lighting upgrade was one of the best things I did to my old 308 and as such it's first on the list with my 328. We should note this modification is COMPLETELY non-invasive and quite reversable (save for the drilling Atlantaman/Chuck points out above).

I don't mean to be rash, just expressing a differring opinion! Ya know how it is, lots of opinions here on FerrariChat! :) That's why it's so great!

--Mike

15. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Mike Procopio,

EXCELLENT POST!!!! Agreed have the alt reworked. Agreed the stock fuse box sucks, replace it guys and watch your electric gremlins go away. Agreed check your grounds and clean/etc. And yes agreed going HID or xenon-imitation improves the headlight effectiveness greatly.

16. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I don't agree with Atlantaman on this. We use HID lights in film production and my battery powered HID underwater system runs more than twice as long with twice the brightness of a halogen system with the same battery pack. The lights themselves are extremely efficient. A 15 watt video HID light can produce the same lumens as a 50 Watt halogen. For this system to draw more current than halogen, you would have to lose all that efficiency in the power supply, which is nothing more than a switching supply that steps up the voltage. There just aren't those kind of conversion losses. I'm about 95% certain that in automotive applications HID's draw considerably less current than standard halogens.

Birdman

17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Verell,
    The column switch only operates a relay that actually switches the headlights, so the current in the column switch is low either way, but I know you already knew that! Just thought I would clarify.
    Birdman

18. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I'M DUBIOUS THAT CURRENT DRAW IS HIGHER:
    These numbers imply a conversion efficiency of something like 38%!!!!

Have you actually measured this kind of a power draw?

My understanding is that the average current draw with HID is not significantly greater than the power rating of the bulb.

BTW, the 40KV is an instantaneous voltage spike that's needed to establish the plasma arc inside the bulb. Once the arc is established, the actual arc voltage is down around 30Volts that has to be very precisely regulated to both keep the arc going, and limit the current thru the arc. Thus the 'ballasts' are actually switching power supplies.

When I was in college, my EE co-op job was with VARO,Inc. They made night vision eqpt for use in 'Nam. They made several Xenon Arc (aka HID) products: 2.2 KW Xenon arc searchlight, a 30KW Searchlight, and an experimental 1KW searchlight. I spent a lot of time working with the engineers on the power supplies (aka ballasts) for the bulbs. Everything I"ve read to date about auto HID technology matches what I learned about short arc Xenon bulbs back in the late 60s!

The HID ballast does require a voltage source that's very stable under fairly high peak currents. This is especially tru while igniting the arc in the bulbs. Hence the direct battery connection.

The ballasts have a high turn-on surge. Because they're switching power supplies, the instantaneous peak current is significantly higher than the average current because they accomodate changes in input voltage by varying the % of the time they're drawing current. For example, 35W @ 12V requires an average current of ~3A. However, if the power supply is running a 50% on:eek:ff cycle, then half the time it's drawing 6A & the other half 0A.

The efficiency of modern switching circuitry is ususlly something 98%. I'll be surprised if it's as low as 95%.

One of the reasons the car mfgs have been going to HID is because of the reduced load on the alternator.

DRIVING LIGHTS
    Oops! The driving lights I have are X1010. Just remembered the doubled numbers & picked up X2020 from AtlantaMan's post.

SYLVANIA CLOSEOUT PRICES:
    I bought 2 of my sets direct from Sylvania back in late Nov/Early Dec.
    I think I paid $249/set, definitely under $300. Will have to check my receipts.

I picked up another X6024 set (slightly used) a couple of weeks ago on eBAY for $200. There hadn't been any on eBay for several months! Figured I could buy X6054 lenses from Sylvania, & was surprised when they said 'no'... Think I'll try calling their customer service rathar than sending eMAIL since their web site says spares are available.

CAPACITOR??
    What value was used?
    I'm guessing that the capacitor is on the relay output to the sense line for the ballast. The sense line will have relatively current draw, so the capacitor may not have to be very large. I'd guess something like 200-300uF @35V, but haven't measured the sense line current draw. BTW, there should be an input resistor between the contacts & the capacitor to limit the cap's inrush current so the contacts won't get burned. Probably 15 Ohms would do the job. (CAVEAT: These values are all SWAGS w/o any meas'ts or experiments behind them.)

NO WIRING CUTTING
    I"m not planning to cut any wiring. All the connections you need are avail at the existing light bulb sockets. I'm just going to make up male connectors that plug into the existing sealed beam bulb sockets. Probably will have to sacrifice a bulb to get the male contacts for them.

19. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I'm surprised not to have seen on this thread that aftermarket HID retrofits are illegal in the US. I'm in the automotive aftermarket parts business and a few months back, all retailers (including Sylvania thus the blowout pricing) were served with a notice forbidding the sale of aftermarket HID kits in the US even if you sold them under the banner 'for offroad use only' . One of our customers lost 50% of his business overnight. With that said, the chances of getting pulled over are very slim but this is the law as I know it. I don't mean to hijack the thread, this is just an FYI.

20. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No no, it's quite relevant. I know that there are issues with HID aftermarket systems. That said, all Sylvania Xenarc products are clearly lauded both at Sylvania and at all retailers saying that they are street legal, and then go on to cite that federal statues that they comply with, etc.

There must be some loophole--Sylvania products are apparently sold through retailers like Autozone and Checkers!

--Mike

21. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    (Quote)
    NO WIRING CUTTING
    I"m not planning to cut any wiring. All the connections you need are avail at the existing light bulb sockets. I'm just going to make up male connectors that plug into the existing sealed beam bulb sockets. Probably will have to sacrifice a bulb to get the male contacts for them.[/QUOTE]

Verell, a male plug should be able to be sourced....there are companies offering relay wiring kits and they tap into the stock wiring through the exisiting headlight plug.

Dave

22. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    where i got mine--1 set on ebay (7"--300.00), and 1 set from brightheadlights.com ( i think),these were the x2020's were for my tahoe--they are AWESOME--tremendous light!!!! 499.00 and worth it.

there is a new "projector" sylvania to fit in a 7" hole but it is ugly as a 3 eyed frog.

my 1st generation 7" sealed beams are OK--but will likely sell them soon (ebay) and buy a new set of 2nd gen units.
    http://brightheadlights.com/

23. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    SOURCING CONNECTOR
    Tnx, Dave, I know that they're available. It's at least half an hour to get one from my home to the nearest AZ, longer if they don't have it & I have to go to PepBoyzl, but only 10-15 min to make one up in my shop. (The joys of living 12 miles from the nearest volume parts store...)

LEGALITY?
    From the Sylvania web site:
    "Setting New Performance Standards. Meeting All Legal Standards

SYLVANIA'S HID aftermarket products illuminate the night better than anything on the road. But what sets our brilliant innovations apart is that every product we offer is 100% street legal. All Xenarc products have been designed and tested to conform to applicable legal standards.

Headlight Upgrade Systems comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 108 and Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Specification J2009 for Discharge Forward Lighting Systems.

Auxiliary Low Beam Kits comply with SAE J582 for Auxiliary Low Beam Lights. Many states regulate the use of auxiliary vehicle lighting.
    "

24. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike

Hi Chuck,

How can you tell the difference between the 1st gen and the 2nd gen 7" sealed Xenarcs? Is the part number different?

What I'm worried about is, if the part number hasn't changed, then some of these discount online joints are probably able to get away with their low pricing by selling the 1st generation units.

Another thing--on two websites I've seen these "new generation" units with those "projectors" - they look radically different - is this 2nd generation?

25. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well this is interesting. One the website where I saw the "2nd Generation" lights being offered, there is this note:

*note: while these kits are manufactured by the same company and use identical Osram Sylvania components, these 2nd generation headlights are not offered by Sylvania.

This is from
    http://suvlights.tripod.com/suvlightscom/html/2ndgen6024.htm

Hmm... Not sure what to think. Maybe these aren't legally approved, and are kind of this grey marked, value-added "enhanced" version... I'm going to find out.

--Mike