308 Brake Fluid Change for Dummies | FerrariChat

308 Brake Fluid Change for Dummies

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dom, Oct 20, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    #1 Dom, Oct 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's been about a year since I last flushed the brake fluid in my car, so I did it this afternoon, and thought I would post a couple pics about the procedure. Brake bleeding is a relatively easy procedure to do, but for those that have never done it, I thought I would provide a little writeup.

I will split this up into several posts, with photos as appropriate.

For the 308, I use Valvoline Synpower (Dot 3/4) fluid. This has served me well for the few track days I've done, and so I continue to use it.

To make my life easier, I use a Motive Power Bleeder. This unit costs ~$50, and is well worth the money for those interested in bleeding their own brakes.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    #2 Dom, Oct 20, 2007
  3. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    #3 Dom, Oct 20, 2007
  4. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    #4 Dom, Oct 20, 2007
  5. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    #5 Dom, Oct 20, 2007
  6. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    #6 Dom, Oct 20, 2007
    Do the passenger side front, and then you are done. Release the pressure from the bleeder, make sure that the fluid reservoir is topped up, put on the cap, and clean up. Very easy procedure.

And, while you've got the wheels off, might as well clean the backsides of the wheel.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions, or I haven't explained things well enough.

Dom
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The only thing that I would add, just to be on the safe side, is to throw a rag over the top of the brake reservoir-motive bleeder bottle-just in case a small leak appears- brake fluid will remove paint !
    Excellent write-up, I've used this procedure with the Motive Power Bleeder and it makes bleeding brakes by yourself a breeze.

8. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    need to get one of those. the last time i changed my fluid my wifey did the pedal pumping duty. i started at the right rear wheel. she started pumping but i wasn't getting any fluid. i was puzzled as to why. upon further inspection i found she was pumping the clutch pedal.

9. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Beautiful story....God bless your wife:D

10. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Excellent write up Dom.

11. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Nice post and thanks for the method. Being a low cost owner my method is just by using SPEEDBLEED bleeder nipples. I had changed out my bleed valves with these about 4 years ago. They are a simple bleed nipple with a built in check valve. I think it cost me about $15 for 4. You can do a fluid change with the car on my lift and without pulling the wheels. First I go to the brake reservor and using a turky baster suck out all of the old fluid. Then refill with new fluid. Just attach this bleed bag hose to the nipple and crack it open a 1/4 turn. Start at the furtherest wheel and work forward. Process is after you crack open one bleeder then go in and pump the brake peddle maybe 8-10 times on the 1st wheel. This usually brings the new fluid back to the furtherest wheel so the main rear line is clean. Go to the other rear wheel same process except 5-6 pumps do it . Refill the bottle. Do the fronts and you are done. It takes me 1 hour to do this and my wife doesn't need to help (for some reason she did not find this fun , HAHAHAHA).

12. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    Great writeup Dom. Thanks. This will be the first Spring project once the winter moisture is gone.

13. 308ROB

308ROB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Greate write up Don thank you,

I have one question to ask: after you fill the bleeder with fluid and presser it to 10-20 psi.

Do you have to press the brake pedal let say 2" to the floor, to let the fluid flow to the calipers?
    Rob.

14. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    NO, that's the beauty of it, the system is pressurized , so just open a bleeder and the fluid is forced out, you never touch the brake pedal.

15. samsong

samsong Rookie

Jun 8, 2005
    Los Angeles area
    Full Name:
    G-man
    Nice DIY write-up. That power bleeder looks like a handy tool...thanks for sharing.

16. 308ROB

308ROB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Steve,
    Thanks for the explanation.
    Rob

17. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Hi Dom,

Nice write up.

I noticed you had the wheel under the car for aded safety, nice touch.

What is that finish you have on the floor?? It looks like an epoxy coating, how is it working out???

I have helped/bled many cars by the old manual (FOOT method) and i bought a Mighty-Vac, since i had to bleed the car by myself. It worked quickly and amazingly well, even with a dry master cyliinger, big calipers and dry lines. cost about $65.

Your system nicely avoids the "running the master cylinder dry and having to start over again" problem - ask me how i know:)

good job,
    chris

18. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    Dom:
    Very nice, thank you. I have always used Steve's method and my wife's thigh muscles for the pressure "up-down-up-down-hold it, etc" but this was never one of her most favorite things to do on our race car. I must go find one of these pressure bleeders.

My only question is where (speaking of bleeding) are your bleeding knuckles? This method looks entirely too sanitary, like you are cheating or something equally sinister.
    Ed

19. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks for the comments guys.

OK, let me see if I can answer some of the questions.

spiderseeker: Good advice about the rag.

Steve King: I've heard about the speedbleeders, and I believe they would be a good alternative.

308ROB: Spiderseeker answered your question. No need to step on the brake pedal.

chrismorse: Floor finish is an Epoxy finish, but down by a local company. Very nice flooring, am glad I did it. I also have a mighty-vac. Only issue I had with it is that air would leak through the bleeder screw threads as I was sucking up the fluid. I've heard that people remove the screw, and use teflon tape around the bleeder screw threads to fix it. Once that is done, it should work fine. The nice thing about the Motive bleeder is that this isn't an issue.

Ed_Long: Yeah, it's almost sinful how easy it is. Don't worry, though, I've had plenty of bleeding nuckles, fingers, etc., from doing 308 work...

Couple other points: Although I jacked up the car and removed wheels, this isn't necessary. In fact, I seem to recall being able to get under the car without even jacking it up and still being able to bleed the fluid. But, like most things ferrari, it's always easier to jack it up and remove the wheels...

Photos: I realized I never took a good photo of the motive cap on the brake fluid reservoir. I'll have to take a good photo of it one of these days...

Dom

20. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Which Motive fits the Ferrari? And will it fit my bimmer?

21. 360RossoFiorano

360RossoFiorano Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2006
    Palmetto Bay, FL
    I think both would work for your bimmer/ferrari

22. swissgt4

swissgt4 Rookie

Mar 13, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    While you're doing brake bleeding, it's a good time to bleed the clutch. Follow the same procedure, just open the bleed valve on the clutch slave cylinder.

23. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Great write up! Nice pics, too.

One tip: use a different color brake fluid each time you change it.

So, step 1 is to use a turkey baster to remove old fluid from the reservoir (this has the added benefit of not pushing dirty old brake fluid entirely through your brake lines).

Step 2 is to fill with new color brake fluid.

Then hook up the power bleeder and follow all of those instructions, stopping the bleed at each corner when you get the new color coming out.

Just a thought.

24. h00kem

h00kem Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Texas
    wonderful write up...many thanks for taking the time, and the picture are most helpful!