another 308 pop up headlight issue. | FerrariChat

another 308 pop up headlight issue.

Discussion in '308/328' started by RVIDRCI, Oct 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    OK, how wierd is this?

(I did a search on this issue, no help there, so I'm asking.)

1) both lights come up when I turn the stalk switch in the top position, lamps remain off

2) when I move the stalk to second position, or all the way to "brights", the lamps function as they should, but immediatly close
    and remain on in the closed position (great for lighting up the motors and heater fans !). all other exterior lamps function normal.

3) if I pull the main headlight lifter relay out once the lights are up, then move the stalk to any on position, the lamps come on and function as they should, but remain in the up position of course until I reinstall the relay.

4) if I pull one of the 2 individual motor relays, both headlights cycle up and down randomly like an insane blinking frog.

5) when the headlights are in the up but off position, my "autobahn flasher " (pulling back on the stalk) turns on the headlight lamps rather than the driving lamps.

I have not been working on anything related to lighting or relays recently, and the lights functioned fine on last use.
    I have checked (confirmed correct #, opened and inspected), swapped, cleaned with QD all related relays and sockets. no change.
    Am I missing something simple here ? Or am I in a evil mystic vortex and scary clowns with wire strippers have been in my garage?

-????,
    -Luigi

2. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    I have been over everything 6 times, everything is where it should be, and everything is functioning, just not at the correct time, switch position or together, as designed.

baffling to say the least.

Is it possible that I "blew out" all or some of the diodes working on fuel pump and ignition circuits ?? I think not, and when the motors lift the lights, they do it perfectly in unison.

WTF ??

(for now I'm going with the scary clown / evil vortex theory)

Any one know a good EXORSIST ??

3. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Try Italian opera while cooking some pasta...

And if it works, let me know!

4. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    The proscuitto is in the pan for sauce starter, Pavorati is in the CD player, and the sangiovese is breathing out.

Thanx for the advice, I'll keep you posted.

-ciao

5. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Rats, now I'm hungry again.

On a serious note, got me dude, but I am interested because I am cursed by the English Prince of Darkness.

6. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    not the dreaded......LUCAS !!!!!!!!......run, run away, now. (careful not to slip in that oil puddle from your F-car)

7. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Hey, the little horsey is just marking her territory! And the Triumph is just self rust proofing...

And besides, "A Gentleman does not motor after dark."

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Sounds like the main headlight relay is working backwards.

In the upper headlight stalk position, the headlights s/b closed, & open in the middle (low beam) & bottom (high beam) positions.

Pull the main headlight relay & use a test light to see if the headlight switch is giving power to the relay coil contact at the proper time. If power is being correctly applied, I think I remember that having the wrong relay in that position will cause this.

Most of the headlight troubleshooting threads are in the Old Fchat which is currently semi-usable. Rob says fixing it is 'low priority'. Maybe you can ask him to fix it so you can search it.

If you don't have any luck, PM me your phone # tomorrow & I'll grab a wiring diagram & we'll see if we can't find it over the phone.

9. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    2 possibilities spring to mind...

1. The wrong relays are in use. Ensure that the correct relay type is in the correct position. Swap the light ones for some others known to work (windows etc).

2. Someone in the past has tried to add in a diode to allow the parking lights to be on with the headlight pods down. Don't know if this is relevant for the GTB/S but it is often done in the GT4. If this diode has blown it could be causing this problem.

Food for thought at least....

10. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Verell, once again, you are THE man. Light at the end of the tunnel. I'll test tomorrow, PM you if I don't get it sorted, thanks ! The car here is a Swiss Euro FYI, if that makes a difference (it does in several other areas).

(BTW, QA-1s went in without a hitch (another thank you, my friend), letting them settle for cornerwieghting soon, and the supercharger is fueling to redline @ 11.5 A/F, boost @ 11psi @ 7800 (Crane CDI w/boost proportional retard, sweet !) more on that later, after dyno....

-L

11. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Thanks for the input !

The car here is a Swiss spec Euro, and I have factory shop and electrical manuals, all seems to be in order, and I do not think "aftermarket" mods have been done. I will double ( I mean quadrupledouble) check the wiring, grounds, relay spec, and look for diode mods I may be missing.

-L

12. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    As well as the diode issue I woiuld make sure the ground to the relay board is still making contact.All the symptoms of your headlights are what happened to my car when I was installing the diode mod.When I was testing the headlamps would go up and down by themselves,the horn would sound and the wipers would come on as well.Then I realised while I was testing the ground strap had been removed in order to access the back of the relay board.I hooked up the ground strap and all was good

13. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    The problem has been resolved.

Apparently while working on my fuel pump upgrade, I must have juggled my relays in some confusing way. Upon quadruple double super checking, I found that my window lifter and low beam headlamp lifter relays had been swapped (101 vs 113). Weird thing is, the window lifters were not affected by this, but the headlamps went insane.

So, in part I was correct about the Scary Clown thing. Problem is the scary clown was ME !

Well, at least I know all of my contacts are clean and my grounds are solid.

14. Martin8

Martin8 Rookie

Sep 26, 2007
    St. Charles, IL
    Full Name:
    Marty Davis
    20 years ago when I bought my used 308 GTBI it had a similar problem with it's headlights. May or may not be same problem but worth check. I believe when the dealer swapped out radio they forgot to tighten down the group of ground wires just behind the radio. It took me weeks to find it. I hope this solves your problem.

15. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    Guys,

Thanks for all the info.

The headlights on my 328 come up when the switch is in the up position, but not on. If I push the switch "higher" they go down where they are suppose to be and I can run the running lights. The switch "feels" tight so I don't think it is a switch problem. With the info on the relays, I'll bet I will find the problem.

J