Hamilton: Rosberg, Kovalinen or Sutil as possible second MCL drivers | FerrariChat

Hamilton: Rosberg, Kovalinen or Sutil as possible second MCL drivers

Discussion in 'F1' started by Far Out, Nov 3, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    http://www.spiegel.de/sport/formel1/0,1518,515223,00.html

Hamilton said that the above mentioned pilots would be candidates for the second MCL cockpit. "I don't favour a specific driver, I just want a team player".

Now what the hell does SUTIL do in this list? He and Hamilton are very good friends; judging from interviews, he's a nice guy, but as the second driver of a top team?! Er, no. Or does "team player" mean: "Someone who isn't a danger to me"?

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sutil is German and Mercedes pays the bills at McLaren.

Obviously the same argument applies to Rosberg, but he'd be harder to get out of his Williams contract.

3. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Would McLaren be dumb enough to pick up Ralf? He is German, has a big name, and has won F1 races before.

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think that could happen and I wouldn't necessarily call it "dumb". Ralf knows how to race. He just needs some motivation and a top car might just bring that.

I don't know whether Hamilton is any good at car development (that's not a criticism, I simply don't know). With Alonso gone, they might need somebody technical. Rosberg or Ralf would fit that bill. Possibly Kovalainen, but I doubt it.

5. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    +1

did Ralf somehow know that Fred is leaving Mclaren 1 month ago? remember he said he was talking to Mercedes..

6. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I agree that the team player comment simply means someone who won't want to be allowed to win races when hamilton's car is still on the track. I think it would be cool to see Ralf in the McLaren then everyone can start hoping for an 8th world title by a Schumacher ;)

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think it didn't need a crystal ball after Hungary to see that Alonso would leave. Besides: Ralf's time at Toyota was up, Alonso or not.

8. anguruso

anguruso Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Hong Kong/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Angus Cheng
    Mclaren might pick up Ralf, if Ralf gives them $10 Million

9. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Massa is likelier to win a WDC than Ralf...and my grandmother is likelier to win one before either of them.

10. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    There is no way Ron is dumb enough to hire Ralf.

Ralf will much more likely be at Force India or whatever.

Ron Dennis has arguably the fastest and most reliable car on the grid at the moment. When Ralf did have a fast car (Williams) he pulled an Alonso and whined at his team when things didn't go his way.

I don't know why people would think Ralf is any sort of good R&D driver. What cars has he driven that have started to go quicker after he arrived? unless a team assumed Ralf can call his more talented and smarter brother whenever a problem arises, I don't see what he brings to the team at all.

Mac would be way wayyy better off with any of those listed in this thread title, especially Rosberg.

11. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    I would like to see Rosberg in a McLaren but I don't think it will happen. Perhaps Heikki if Alonso goes to Renault or JB if he goes to Honda but I suspect McLaren will promote one of their test drivers.

12. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    the second seat at McL is a poisoned chalice

LH is the favoured son so anyone going there would be a fool

13. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    If Hamilton had any sense at all he wouldn't make a comment on this. Why is he giving an opinion?

14. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Because he thinks that he is God and can do whatever he wants to.

15. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I hear Heiki a lot, but I think it's probably presumptuous of people to think that it has to be a straight up trade. Alonso is a hot commodity and he's "worth" more than Heiki. So more likely Ron can have almost any driver he wants and wouldn't need to take the extra driver from whatever team Alonso goes to. So for example if Alonso went to Renault and Heiki got the boot, I can see Heiki going to maybe Williams and Rosberg then going to McLaren. Or Flav could take Alonso and just dump Heiki to the open market.

But I think that seat at McLaren is the best one on the whole grid at the moment, so likely Ron can afford to be picky.

16. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    I would love to see Rosberg in a winning car. It's too bad that a Ferrari seat is out of the question right now.

Besides, if Heikki went to McLaren, who would be with Alonso at Renault? Surely there aren't dumb enough to keep Fisi.

17. Lexdiamonnyc

Lexdiamonnyc Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    North NJ
    Full Name:
    Lex
    think about this guys,
    ........wouldn't it make the most sense for McLaren to just move DeLaRosa into the second car?...he's already there, he's cheap, he'd be a good #2, and it would keep the Spanish sponsors happy........ 2008 is gonna be a very rocky season for them, as they will be under the microscope, they'll have less garage space, and less than optimal pit position........it makes sense to focus on 1car, 1 driver......why bring in another big name when you already have a very capable Hamilton and a good #2 in DeLaRosa....?

18. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Hungary? i thought Fuji lol.

anyways, i wonder if Mclaren offer Ralf race-by-race contract...would there be another Schumacher WDC? :p

19. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    actually, i was thinking about that yesterday too. but, can DLR actually race? he wasn't that impressive last year, apart from HUngary.

20. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i think, they'll keep Fisi, they need a proper car developer, but what happens to Piquet?

21. TrentS

TrentS Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2005
    South Florida
    I don't think so, I think Fisi is long gone... If Heikki & Alonso switch seats then it'll be Alonso & Nelsinho at Renault. If Nico goes to McLaren (and Alonso goes to Renault) then you could see either Heikki or Nelsinho "loaned" to Williams.

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It was at Hungary that the RD - FA relationship ended and they quit talking. After the race Alonso was interviewed about his future and he said "he doesn't know where he'll drive in 08". It doesn't get much clearer than that. He had made up his mind, that he would leave McLaren.

23. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    If Dennis sticks with his mantra that the drivers at McL are both driving for the championship, this will not happen.

If Dennis really really really wants Lewis to be WDC, then De La Rosa is a possibilty. But would he really be that obvious in his support of Lewis? ;)

Look at the advantages. De La Rosa already is intimately familiar with the Fcars and he knows how to use email. :D

24. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    LOL. It would need to be GBP50.2mn at least I figure. Ralf is so far past the sale by date that he smells

25. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Like the second seat at Ferrari was during the MS glory days? Not so bad, a few wins, a lot of seconds. Better than driving the wheels off of a Toyota for a well-earned and hard fought 12th