Pininfarina Design Sketches | FerrariChat

Pininfarina Design Sketches

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by ingegnere, Nov 10, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #1 ingegnere, Nov 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We've all seen the Pininfarina design sketches of the most recent Ferraris - I'm thinking about the 612, 599 and even a certain F-chatter's P 4/5.

What about seeing renderings of some older models - anybody have any to share?

I am really interested to see if anyone has a rendering of the 308GTB - I have never seen one except in a picture of two designers standing in front of a sketch on a drawing board (will scan and post when I find it).

Also, I had a pic of a BB sketch signed in the unmistakable LF signature of Fioravanti, but can't find it anymore. Have this one of the BB though:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Never seen that picture of the BB before. Somewhat strange proportions, quite the find!
    Some of the Ferrari Press Kits included art work but not prior to about 1982.
    CH

3. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    i think some of those bb design sketches are in the book "Ferrari Design of a Legend". Dont know about THAT one.
    let me check...

love those design drawing tho... i like to see how the car "grew" from concept to concept... seeing what "might have been".

GT

4. ivo73

ivo73 F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Mar 3, 2005
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Ivo Pucci
    Interesting sketch of the BB !
    You can also find some more designs in the Book "L'idea Ferrari" by Fabbri Editori,this Book was published for the" L'idea Ferrari "- Expo in Florence,Italy in 1990.

regards
    ivo

5. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Can anybody who has this book or "Ferrari Design of a Legend", as suggested by ferrariartist, confirm or list the Pininfarina sketches included in these books. Really curious to know if they include 308GTB sketch.

Thanks.

6. Fuoriserie

Fuoriserie Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2006
    Italy
    I did have a newspaper clipping somewhere, with the 308 sketch........I should also have the Brovarone sketch of the Dino and the Paolo Martin designed Dino Competizione.

Will try to post them soon.

7. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    for anyone running out and buying these, they are basically the same thing. One in softcover as the brochure, and then republished as a hardcover for Design of a Legend.

I hate it when they do that...

Here is a quick list of the Pininfarina drawings in "Ferrari Design of a Legend":
    (there are others by Vignale, Ghia etc as well)
    1958 Type 250GT
    (2 drawings - hardtop and convertible - of 4 views each - side back front and top)
    1961 "A coloured sketch for a cabriolet to be built with the classic 3-litre 12-cylinder chassis"
    1961 "Another coloured sketch probably for a coupe on a 400 Superamerica chassis"
    Type 410 Superamerica 2 drawings a front and side elevation
    1964 Type 400 SA front elevation
    1961 Type 400 SA 3/4 front rendering
    1964 Type 275 GTB 3/4 front rendering (This is infact appears to be the special Rossellini car that won all the awards when it was restored in the late 90s)
    1968 Type 365 GTB 4 Daytona (side elevation that looks like what would later be the "removable hardtop one-off)
    1967 Type 206 GT (an odd downward angle side view seeing the roof and rear window/sailpanel treatment)
    1965 Type Dino (Side elevation in colour of the yellow futuristic Dino Competizione showcar with the large wing)
    1968 Prototype P6 (colour 3/4 front view)
    1985 Type 328 GTS (one is misnamed because it is the GTB, but both are orange side elevation rendering with minor differences. Both look more like 308s than 328s)
    1984 Testarossa (Side elevation in colour - the most well rendered (realistically) all them all.)

There are other Pininfarina studies but they are 3-dimensional models (a couple of these is what i mistakenly remembered as a drawing for the BB - sorry.)

hope that helps..

GT

8. EL Nino

EL Nino Karting

Sep 29, 2005
    They say that the Ferrari 430 Scuderia also was designed by PininFarina. Do you have the sketches?

9. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    There is a side view marker rendering (similar to the BB image above) labeled "328 GTB" but based on the front end design, it looks more like a 308. I don't have a scanner but I can scan it at work later this week if the image isn't posted by then. It's a great rendering, likely drawn by Fioravanti himself. PF should make prints of it.

-F

10. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    #10 ferrariartist, Nov 12, 2007
  11. camchain

camchain Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Ron Hetherington
    #11 camchain, Nov 13, 2007
  12. Fuoriserie

Fuoriserie Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2006
    Italy
    Aldo Brovarone sketches, designer of the Superfast, and Dino

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Very interesting! The first sketch looks far more wedge shaped than the actual car, with the cabin (and those angled parts beside the engine leading up to the roof.. how the hell are THEY called?) being nearly a parallelogramm (compare it to the Lambo Jarama!). Very 'clean', too (wheels!)

14. Ferrari250GTO

Ferrari250GTO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    Philadelphia PA
    Check out the wheels on the first one! eww

15. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Thanks Grant, those are great. So these are from "Ferrari Design of a Legend"?

The 328 sketches really do look like they would be for the 308, also because the art looks to be from the same era as the BB sketch at the top of this thread. The front spoiler is also another give-away: none on the first sketch and a very small one on the second sketch. By the time of the 328, the deep front spoiler was an option, if not standard.

If this is the case, this would be the first time I've seen a 308 sketch.

BTW, the BB sketch appears to be signed AB - Aldo Brovarone, most likely.

As for the TR, I have Auto & Design as well as Car Styling issues covering the design of the car. I will scan them as soon as I have some time. I also have sketches of the Mondial, some of which really surprised by how bad they were!

16. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #16 ingegnere, Nov 18, 2007
    Here's the only picture (from a newspaper) of a 308 sketch I'd ever seen and I found the BB sketch by Fioravanti (though I was certain I had a pic without the page crease through it!).

Note the crease through the rear fender on the BB sketch which didn't make it to production, but reappeared on the 308, trailing off the side scoop.

17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Very interesting - they seem to be more graphics studies than style studies (only one seems to show the rear quarter window as a scoop).

Where did you find those?

18. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Very nice. I already saved those when you posted them in the Dino thread!

From the drawings posted here it looks like Brovarone was the one adding the final touches on the BB and 308. I also have a drawing showing the TR closest to final design and it's signed AB - will scan later.

19. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    #21 ferrariartist, Nov 20, 2007
  20. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Fioravanti and team never made a design study, they just started working on a stretched 308 chassis, this info and the sketches I have from the book about the GTO by Llewandowski.

21. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    That looks to be signed Pininfarina. Is that Sergio Pininfarina? I seem to remember reading about some of his arrt work, don't think it's a design sketch, though.

22. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #24 ingegnere, Nov 24, 2007
    Grant,

Can you retake the 2 328 (308?) shots square to the page - would like to keep those as reference.

Since those look like AB (Brovarone) signed sketches like the first BB, here's one more signed AB, for the TR. Also a couple of BB sketches in keeping with the Fioravanti sketch:

23. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    sorry for the delay...

i uploaded some high res shots of those 3 to a new blog. Book is kinda thick so there is still some wavyness to them but i did my best:
    http://ferrariart.blogspot.com/

GT