i am new here and have a few q's? | FerrariChat

i am new here and have a few q's?

Discussion in '308/328' started by ceedee, Nov 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ceedee

ceedee Rookie

Nov 22, 2007
    Full Name:
    michael
    #1 ceedee, Nov 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    and still will be minding my p's as well

anyway, i am about to get a new toy it's a 308 gts i
    telling from the photo's what would you tackle first.
    how much will it cost. and how much would you spend max for the car.
    don't wanna know about how much a great shaped car will cost.
    i am set on this one. but i want some more negotiation leverage.
    therefore some expert advice on the pricing.
    thank you all in advance and i hope to be onboard soon.
    michael
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    seriously, i wouldn't pay more than 10k for this car. just looking at the photos i see at least 15-20k to put it right. myself, i'd run away from it. do a few searches here, like interior re-dos and major services. you'll see what i'm talking about.

3. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    ochh,if thats what you want,then go no more than 20k because I can see and thats not driving it yet aleast 5-8k or more if you do new interior and paint then that well be another 10k,so maybe 20k for the car might be to much offer 15k see what happens, does the car run or even turn over if you turn the key? is the smog equi. all there, because thats very $$$$$$,can you bring in a mahcanic to do a ppi? thats where I whould start

4. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Taillights are backwards--probably been painted, or wrecked/painted..

Run away, IMO.. Plenty nice cars out there with less hassle..

Greg

5. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    If you negotiated a price of $100 you'd still be behind after completion of restoration, given it's a 2v and in a horrible state currently. Probably even if you did everthing yourself. So, why?

Jeff

6. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    As everyone else has said or observed, I'd literally asked myself, "He's not serious about buying this car, is he?" I think you can do better if you look around, but if you're set on this car, I wouldn't pay more than $10K. Here's what's wrong:

1. taillights are reversed (as Greg328 noted)
    2. Exhaust tips are wrong. Could mean that the muffler is not the original muffler and catalytic converters might not be present. Need to check on those.
    3. To Greg328's point, the rear end of the car could have previously been damaged
    4. Front bumper needs to be repainted. Car does not appear to have been cared for properly (note dust everywhere as well)
    5. Front spoiler looks like it has some scratches. How did those come about? Best to check under the front of the car for any damage.
    6. Coolant expansion tank needs to be replaced or repaired
    7. Car appears to have been exposed to salty roads. All aluminum surfaces appear corroded.
    8. All hose clamps are rusty - probably should be changed.
    9. Fuel injectors look rusty
    10. Hoses and belts been changed? Looks pretty dusty in the engine compartment. Looks like $5 - 8K in deferred maintenance.
    11. Rust on the engine cover
    12. Smog pump is disconnected. Likely that the smog pump is seized.
    13. Not keen on the blue oil filter - what brand is that?
    14. Is it just me, or does the intake hose look offset? Almost like something is not aligned properly (engine? frame?)
    15. What's with all the wiring all over the place? Italian electrical systems are not known to be robust. I'd be wary of this.
    16. Seats will need to be resprayed or you'll have to apply leatherique yourself
    17. Handbrake leavers are not robust. They are flexible and care needs to be take to ensure you pull DIRECTLY UP on the lever, otherwise they bend as in your photo. Carefully bend this back.
    18. Looks like you'll need an auto upholstery shop to assist with restitching the leather on the handbrake
    19. Why is there rust behind the seat (right behind the seat belt.) Time to rip up that carpet and see how extensive that rust is.
    20. Paint doesn't appear very glossy or deep. May need a detail (if dusty), or need to be repainted if that doesn't work
    21. You'll need new TRX tires (not cheap). Best to allocate $2200 and buy replica 16" wheels from TRutlands and new 16" tires.
    22. The last two pictures confirm my fear which is: It's looking likely that the car pictured will need a repaint.
    23. Wow - this is the tip of the iceberg. As soon as you dig deeper, you'll find a lot more.

With the above said, if you're serious, get a PPI. The $500 you spend will help determine if you're going to be spending $15K or $30K to get this 308 road worthy. Even if it's $15K, and you purchased this car for $10K, you're already close enough to getting a well documented 308 to make this an unlikely candidate for purchase. If I had to guess, you're probably looking at $20K to get this car back into shape: $500 to respray the seats and door panels, $5000 for a proper repaint, $5000 for a major maintenance, $2200 for new tires/wheels, $2000 to change all the hoses and hose clamps (including the under-car hoses), and at least $5K for other unforseen stuff (brake pads, coolant flush, brake fluid/clutch fluid flush, clutch, belts, smog pump, CV boots, etc.)

7. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This is a parts car.

Even if you got it for free, I'd bet you would be underwater by the time it's put into just decent condition, let alone nice condition.

This car is the very essence of "fright pig"

Keep looking and good luck.

Dave

8. xtrmesaleen

xtrmesaleen Karting

Apr 7, 2006
    We can only go on the info you provide... the photos make the car look rough, but what do you know about it's mechanical condition? Was this car in storage for 5+ years? 10+years? It doesn't look like it's been run or even started in quite a while. Cosmetic restoration is a given - and probably cost prohibitive at this point. The potential unknown mechanical issues (engine, electrical, etc.) are a deal breaker. If you can find a respected Ferrari mechanic, do a PPI. I'm not sure he would attempt to run this vehicle without knowing it's mechanical history either.

9. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    I would say 5k...and only because if all else went wrong you would probably make your money back in parting it out

10. monstergrowler

Nov 9, 2007
    The front grill also looks broken

11. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Run baby, run.
    But if you want to have a go, as hardtop said, no more than 5.000. If you then realise it costs too much to sort it properly you can part it and hope to recover the initial investment.
    Ciao
    Eugenio

12. Franc308

Franc308 F1 Rookie

Sep 23, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Franc
    At least you took a very right step coming here and asking the pro's for advice!
    I can't believe after the very objective and factual remarks, you will still be thinking of buying this car.
    I've read a statement here on fchat that says 'the cheapest ferrari will also be the most expensive......'
    Need I say more ?
    Happy Ferrari haunting! Take your time for it and truly enjoy the search too.

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    How many 80 models had the oval rearview mirror?

14. hogster

hogster Rookie

Nov 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Please also keep in mind....
    I restored a MB 450sl. When you start the work and you think you know what needs to be repaired/restored, you made the plans and you finally start the project. Think again. Once one starts, it is certain you will find more items that need attention. Looking at the pics, it seems this car has many more issues from what can be seen. Keep in mind.... If a car is not a real collector and demands big money when completed. You will most likely have more in it than it's worth. Like the others stated, there are many more 308's out there with less items wrong for less then what you would pay to restore it. Starting with a clean car make all the difference.
    If you need more proof, contact auto clubs that group together and restore cars. They will tell you what it takes in time, money and return/worth of the car.
    I wouldn't give 10k for it.... Kinda looks like some water damage.

I am looking for a 3xx as well. I remember reading, "get the best/cleanest car one could afford". Remember you may think you are paying a lot for it, but if you really do your homework, restoring will be more. I rather find a clean car and do some required maint., with some repair/cleanup tasks. Then enjoy driving :)

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The only market a car like that has is to someone like myself; someone who LOVES the 308, has a place to put it long term, doesn't mind doing the work himself, has sources for parts, doesn't mind making it a 3-5 year project and knows the end result is to own a car that you love and that you restored yourself NOT to sell but to enjoy and keep forever.

Otherwise it is a moneypit of the first order.

16. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    There are no cheap Ferraris, you either pay up front now for a good one or pay to fix one up and have to put in the money, time and effort to convert a mess into a good one. Unless working on cars is your hobby, I'd look for a better car.

17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    +1. This is a money pit of the first degree.

18. Paul308

Paul308 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2006
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Run away! Do not buy this car. It is sure to be a headache and major disappointment. If you can't afford to buy a nice one, you really can't afford to buy one that is in as rough a shape as this. Do NOT make the mistake of buying this car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

19. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    It does have the tools, though! Course, they are probably as rusty as the engine compartment.

Jeff

20. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    also wrong steering wheel and it has FAF after market side molding (no big deal)

21. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    A compression test. No compression, no sale.
    Enough to buy another 308 that you can DRIVE IMMEDIATELY.

22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    looks like the correct black spoked Nardi to me

Some of the VERY early inj 80 models had silver spoked Nardi - but not very many. Is this what you are referring to as being incorrect?

23. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005

+1 Tommy the wheel can be correct for 1980. This car hurts my eyes.

24. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I want that rubber side trim. I wonder if they would pull it off and sell it to me?

25. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Did 1980 cars come with two door mirrors? Or just the driver's side mirror? And is that the correct mirror? My old '82 GTSi had passenger and driver's side mirrors, and both were rectangular (not oval). Unfortunately both also moved whenever someone shut the door.