FINALLY.. the Highline wheels actually ON MY CAR!! | FerrariChat

FINALLY.. the Highline wheels actually ON MY CAR!!

Discussion in '348/355' started by TheOnlyest, Nov 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #1 TheOnlyest, Nov 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Those wheels look great! :):)

3. blackcross

blackcross Karting

Jun 23, 2007
    Canada
    nt

Hagen
    #14 SS

4. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Lookin' good!

5. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Looks awesome. What kind of rubber you swinging on those? Pattern is clearly not Pirelli. Possible Vredenstien's? Do you know the offsets on the wheels?

6. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Looks awesome!!!!
    Congratulations I'm glad your finally rolling your new wheels. They really update the look of the car. Enjoy that beauty in good health.

7. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks guys...

they're Vredstein Sessanta's
    Front 225/35 ZR19 19''x8.5'' wheel - offset 32 (im pretty sure)
    Rear 275/30 ZR19 19''x10'' wheel - offset 38 (im positive)

8. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Very nice, they really suit the lines of your 348.

I have no idea of the drama you have been through to get these wheels on your car, but from the photo's it looks like it was worth it.

9. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks bud, I appreciate that :)

You're kiddin right?! lol... start here --> http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155324&page=3

10. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
  11. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Looks awesome!

I know you don't agree, but even if they jacked you around for two months it was worth it. Those wheels look better than anything else I've seen on a 348 to date. And since I've aquired my 348, I've looked at countless pics.

Oh yeah, I need to get that info for the Scuderia shields. My email: [email protected]

Thanks Bro!

12. notbostrom

notbostrom Formula Junior

May 8, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Is there any other source for these wheels other than those bone heads. I feel your pain BUT those wheels do look hot !!!

13. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Unfortunately no.... the only other way is to get the real 360 modulars, and have them painted if you wanted.
    AND pay 2-3 times as much for them.

14. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
  15. Allen F

Allen F Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2006
    AZ / PNW / NYC
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Looks great! Just another headache, nothing unsual right?

16. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    Urrrrggghhh! Your wheels look better than mine! :D Congrats man.

17. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Glad you like em! but, now you've seen mine... show me yours!

18. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Hey Steve,
    I found a set here in the Ferrari ads that appear to be the same as yours. I have a deposit on them. I am concerned about the fit of these in my wheel wells. My 348 is a Serie Speciale which has a differant axle width than normal 348's. I think the Spiders are differant also.

Anyway, my question to you is, Did you use spacers when you mounted yours? If this wheel manufacturer put extra beef in the hub to create the offset, them I'm gonna have trouble fitting them.

I ask you these questions because I can't get an acceptable answer from Highline. I called the guy to ask and learned first hand why you had so much trouble...what ******. He claims to has personally installed these wheels on over 30 Series Speciales. Pretty difficult since there are only 100 on the planet. I presume he believes 30% of all SS owners use his wheels exclusively.

To bad they are so pretty

Also...how do you like the Vredensteins. The pattern looks cool. Do they stick well?

Lane

19. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Lane, I wasnt aware that the SS had different hub and/or axle dimensions... if thats true, I dont know how much help I can be... are you sure its not just wheel width or offset?
    Anyway, I didnt need any spacers at all, the wheels I got cleared the calipers by a good 8-10mm. By your description, i'd have to guess you spoke to Andrew at Highline... and your absolutely right. He's cocky, errogant, argumentative, rude, unprofessional, and TOTALLY full of ****!! 50 bux says he doesnt even really know what a 348 SS is!

For some reason that I dont know (and wont argue), I was sent the Sessanta tires with my wheels. Highline usually sends the basic Ultrac's at the price I paid... and that what I was expecting. The tires have a very unusual tread design, but they stick quite good... somehow my steering is improved, it feels like power steering when moving... and even stopped, significantly less effort than the originals... perhaps its something to do with the super short sidewall on these things. I'm anxious for next summer to see how they do in the extreme desert heat.

20. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    #21 Saint Bastage, Nov 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Yep its true...2 inches wider...I suppose the spider is the same as other 348's. This is for sure going to cause me a problem with aftermarket wheels that compensate for the thinner track.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    Ummm, dude, you're scaring me...I'm not that kinda guy! :D Check out my profile pic.

22. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    lol Well, i'm not a fan of chrome, but your wheels are slick! I always been a fan of the 5-spoke wheel. My Miata has a set of ''split spokes'' like those.
    19 inches of silver wheels is too close to chrome... thats why I went with the black wheels, the Miata's wheels are black center with polished lip too.

23. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    wow, its hard to imagine that Ferrari would re-engineer the whole rear end just for 100 cars!
    I dont know what to tell you Lane, the only thing I can come up with is to use the same as the front wheels, on the back... but you probably want a wider wheel and fatter tire on the rear. But at the same time, shouldn't such a rare and special edition car... stay original?

24. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Lane, the following is pasted from an article I was reading about the differences between all the variant 348's ever produced... this pertains specifically to the 348SS.

::::: The rear track was widened by 50mm from 1578mm to 1628mm by adding 25mm of offset to each wheel, and the final drive was shortened from 26/27 on the earlier cars to 25/29 on the SS. A taller fifth gear was fitted (early cars having p/n 70000592), to maintain top speed with the new lower main gear installed. :::::

If this is true, then the only thing different about your car is the rear wheels themselves... on other words, these Highline wheels should fit your car the same way they do any other 348. I reiterate that I find it hard to believe that Ferrari would re-engineer the whole rear end for only 100 cars!

Perhaps this is the original basis for 348 owners specifically adding 25mm spacers to the rear's, your rear wheels simply have the spacers ''built-in''