Why do Ferrari's have waiting lists, whereas Lambo doesn't? | FerrariChat

Why do Ferrari's have waiting lists, whereas Lambo doesn't?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by masterflex164, Jan 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. masterflex164

masterflex164 Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2004
    New England
    Is it because of demand or just the cars, that some people don't like (Lambo)?

I consider myself a much bigger Lambo fan, then Ferrari (I still love both), but Ferrari's always have markups, and 2 year waiting lists, I could go out today and pick up a Gallardo SL (supposedly Limited Edition) for less then MSRP. What gives? 599s still have huge mark-up, and so do the F430s. DOn't even get me started on the Enzo...

I've always though the LP640 was priced too high to compete with Ferrari, but what's a solid reason?

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    More buyers than sellers. More sellers than buyers.

3. mycarsux

mycarsux Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Wylie
    Supply vs. Demand

Lambos are still kind of the underdog in the supercar world I guess. Even in the world of exotics some people consider Lamborghini a little too "out there" as far as design goes. There is the racing image Ferrari has. Snob appeal left over from the old man. German ownership. These are just some of the many reasons that I've heard people cite their preference for one make over another. I however love them all.

quick edit for bad spelling

4. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Supply and demand. It's very simple. Ferrari has done a wonderful job of creating a legend, and that demand.

5. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    As a current Lambo owner I agree with the above comments. I too was able to get my new one at discount. Have zero regrets and never thought I was getting lesser car. They do approach things a little differently though, technology levels are different, one values racing more, but performance wise you end up arguing about tenths of a second in comparison which in the end means nothing. I love both cars and owned both. If you're looking to purchase this level of car don't assume Lambo is a compromise, its a serious player in this game and you won't regret your purchase.

6. fredhart

fredhart Karting

Mar 22, 2006
    supply/demand doesn't quite explain what's going on here since the classic curve would result in an equilibrium of price and quantity. i could be wrong, but it seems like ferrari is intentionally holding down its supply due to the peculiarities of luxury branding.

for example, a 599 can be bought from the factory for 300 some odd thousand (i think) but one can turn around and sell it for 500k, begging the question as to why doesn't ferrrari sell the damn thing for 500k to begin with and pocket the difference. the answer is that long waiting list and skyrocketing prices create a mystique for the brand, which in the long run benefits the company more that the 150k per vehicle they're giving up.

i recall during the internet boom frank quattrone used to price internet ipos below what the market demanded just to see the damn stock skyrocket on the first day of trading, thus increasing demand for the next ipo. however, ferrari seems to have found a way to do this without turning their vehicles into dutch tulips.

7. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I agree, Ferrari doesn't meet the classic Supply/Demand where the number of sellers and buyers will meet at a equilibrium, it that were true a new F430 would probably cost 400k :( but there would be no waiting list:)
    Ferrari seems to keep their supply low to maintain that exclusivity that they have. Certainly, Ferrari has a very unique business strategy.

8. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I kind of like the way Ferrari has their waiting lists, it keeps those who love the cars as those on this board do have first dibs on the cars and keep those who just want the car to show it off from doing just that. Then again if you have the money you can get your hands on pretty much anything.

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Supply/demand explains it.

Ferrari produces ~6000 cars annually now, which is all they can do until additional capacity comes on line. I think that's more than Lamborghini. Demand for new Ferraris is near hysterical - remember how the "limited edition" F40 ended up being produced to the tune of 1,311 cars (making it commoner than some varieties of its 308 ancestor)? Chalk it up to the motoring press, TV/celebrity fame/image, or tradition, but the brand is likely the most revered in the sports car world.

If you're an economist, you'll argue that Ferrari's prices are too low. I'm sure the F430 Scuderia will be selling above MSRP for a couple of years, and all that profit potential in 'flipping' cars only increases demand. If you're on The List, you get to drive the latest V8 Ferrari for a few months and then sell it for a five-figure profit.

However it is true that Ferrari manages production so that they have a wait list (although if you believe Luca diMontezemolo the two-year wait is more than they wanted...)