308gt4 engine removal for anyone interested | FerrariChat

308gt4 engine removal for anyone interested

Discussion in '308/328' started by tomoshea, Jan 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomoshea

tomoshea Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Ireland
    Full Name:
    Tom O'Shea
    #1 tomoshea, Jan 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Below are pictures of me removing my gt4 engine. I have not shown the basics on top end / underneeth disconnections.

The purpose of this is to show how I hang and move the engine out.

Note: I remove the rear engine mounts when the weight of the engine is on the strap. I split the engine mounts in half and only take out the top bits with the engine, leaving the lower halves in place so repositioning the engine is easier when it goes back in. Same with the front ones.

I also only disconnect the drive shafts from the engine, not form the wheel hubs. They stay in place held up by bungee cords.

I find it easier to handle the engine if you remove the bell housing from underneeth first.

This lift job can be done with 2 people, 1 good hoist man and another to guide the engine to the right hand half of the engine bay as you lift it out.

Note hanging the engine from the head as indicated means that it finds the correct engle for the engine to come out without any mid air repositioning antics. You do have to gradually pull the crane backwards away from the car body as the height of the crane increases so you clear the bulkhead.

I pull the front header and heat guards off with the egine partially lifted........ dont forget to put the header back in the engine bay first before you start to put the egine back in (dont ask how I know!)

Simple enough really once the disconnects have been done.

If you know what your doing the full job from start of removal of air box on top of engine to engine on the ground can be done in 6 - 8 hours........ wonder what the recommended Ferrari hours are??? (anyone know?)

Any questions just add ot the thread and I will respond.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    Cool thread and photo's Tom. Nicely done.

Question, though: Why are you removing the engine since you can do a major with the engine in? Sounds like you've done this before as well. What do you do with the engine out, that you cannot with it inplace?

Just curious.

J.

3. tomoshea

tomoshea Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Ireland
    Full Name:
    Tom O'Shea
    Engine coming out to fit high compression pistons via Superformance in the UK.

Also need to replacee a damaged lower cam drive gear, the bl%^dy lock nut came loose and shaft tolerances to cam drive gear are too high.

4. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    Nice yellow toy on last pic.

5. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    Great pic's and tips, hope I won't be doing that anytime soon! :D

Cheers!

6. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    Good Lord, where was this thread :eek: when I pulled mine!

Very well done. It almost... :rolleyes: almost inspires me to try to put mine back in by myself... :p

7. Kingpin328

Kingpin328 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    Handy yellow tool in the 4th pic ! :D

8. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    OK, someone's got to say it: using plywood to protect your glass is freaking genius.

Love it!

9. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I've seen threads where this is talked about, but Tom went the extra step of protecting the buttresses by using plywood there as well. Not pretty to try to have the dent pulled out from there!!!!

Looks GREAT Tom!!!! Please post pics of the Major. :)

JIM

10. ejpoulsen

ejpoulsen Karting

Dec 19, 2004
    California
    What is the wood for under the strap?

Any concern about weird stresses on the head bolts?

11. tomoshea

tomoshea Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Ireland
    Full Name:
    Tom O'Shea
    wood under strap purely to shorten the strap sp the crane will clear the rear of the car.

No concerns about stresses. Engine came out and back in that way before.

12. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    #12 Brian Harper, Jan 7, 2008
    It will be fine. A lot of cars still have a stamped steel lift loop on the head from when the engine was installed at the factory. Cheaper to leave the hoisting point on than to take it off on the assembely line. In fact, on my Volvo the lift point is not only still on there, and is not only attached to the head, but it is attached to the exhaust manifold, so it is off the side of the head supported by a bunch of (probably) M8 studs.

13. tomoshea

tomoshea Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Ireland
    Full Name:
    Tom O'Shea
    I didnt use the loops on the 2 heads for 2 reasons:

1) I know of a guy that had them snap on him under the weight of the engine, made the head unusable, damaged the car...... cost a lot of money!!!!!!

2) If you use the hoops you dont get the engine to hang at the angle necessary to remove the engine, like you do using the the srps the way I hung it, which requires more mid air antics to get the engine out..... risk of (1) happening :)

14. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Hi Tom
    I see life is still interesting over there :)

R&R engine/transmission is 14.3 hours without AC. That includes clutch, carb and throttle adjustments after installation of assembly. Major overhaul on bench is 45 hours.

Gerrit

15. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    Gerrit. IIRC; You used wood on your removal too, right?

16. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Nice to see an engine come out that didnt look like it was dunked in the La Brea tar pits.

No, there is no cause for alarm with the head bolts. Those head studs are each exerting a load against the cylinder head of many..... TONS! You could whip that whole lump around in the air by that head and not worry about it coming off or harming the head studs.

I must say though, you really sure you have a heavy enough engine lift and hook there? :)

17. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Hi Guys, Great thread!
    Is it possible to remove the engine with the transfer box in place?
    Cheers
    Nick

18. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Hi David,
    Those numbers are from the Service Times Schedule (http://dino308gt4.com) .

My engine is coming out soon, will let you know how we do it. Tom's approach is certainly the smoothest I have seen so far. We will probably leave a lot more on the engine. I think using a chain hoist from steel roof beam gives better control, I always cringe with the hydraulic ones, they are usually not smooth acting!

Tom, your car already ran strong when I was crammed into the back seat, I can only imagine the grin factor once you get the new pistons in!

Gerrit

19. tomoshea

tomoshea Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Ireland
    Full Name:
    Tom O'Shea
    By transfer box I presume you mean bell housing?

Yes it is but it requires mid air respositioning of the engine to slide it out...... not fun

20. tomoshea

tomoshea Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Ireland
    Full Name:
    Tom O'Shea
    Hi Gerrit hope life is treating yo well.

When you were over here my engine was running fine (having just gone in after a gearbox and rebuild of both heads).

Unfortunatley soon after that i started to get an ever increasing top end knock sound that became like very lould tappits.

Eventually it was traced to a lfractionally loose lock nut on the lower cam drive gear(and yes it was torqued correctly, it was a new part from Ferrari), the cog on the shaft had been knocking off the woodruff key and it was worn, the shaft to gear tolerances went out and I could not make a working fix. Car has been off the road since August last year, only got the time in December to take the engine out again.

Hence why the engine was very clean.

I needed to replace the lower cam gear and drive and the bearings around the shaft which is a bugger of a job trying to keep the engine in situe. I swore if I ever took the engine out again I would do the pistons..... Tolernences were fine on mine when I last took it out, so I didnt replace pistons or rings. I dont want to go through this again :)

As for the high compression pistons. Yes by all accounts they make a big difference on overtaking and low end torque around town. Sending my crank case over to Ron and Colin in Superformance to do the necessaries, that is one job I would not do myself.... I think Ron may be retiring in a year or so I wnant to make sure the work is done by him before he retires.

As for leaving more on the engine as you hint at below. Taking out is more difficult than putting back in believe it or not, because on initial lift you cannot be sure what direction the engine travells. I put my engine back in with everything in place including carbs last time. But believe me makes life a lot easier on the removal if you take the carbs and bell house off, and you are less likely to damage those expensive Webers.

Tom

21. tomoshea

tomoshea Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Ireland
    Full Name:
    Tom O'Shea
    #21 tomoshea, Feb 13, 2008
    Have not had much time in January to work on the engine, but finally got to seperate the main components last weekend.

What a difference to when I last removed the heads, I had to borrow head removal tools from Superformance in the UK last time due to the corrosion between the heads on the head retaining nuts.

This time they just came away with a litlle shuffle form left to right with my hands. easy.....

You will see a few nuts circled in red, there are 2 nuts that keep the gearbox attached to the crank case which can only be accessed when the end plate is removed.

The circlip has to be removed to take the end plate off, make sure to out it sraight back on once the plate is removed.

Also one of the end plate nuts that would not come off and had to be ground off, new stud required..... start totaling the bill $$$$

The pistons only have about 1K miles on them since I last had the engine out, quite a bit of carbon build up in a short time...

22. drivemycar

drivemycar Rookie

May 24, 2016
    Nice job. The heat shield you refer to when removing the front header, is that the one that envelopes the pipes? I have 3 nuts left on the header that are not reachable because of the heat shield and I am not sure if the presence of the shield mandates a different tact when removing the engine.