Trickle charger question | FerrariChat

Trickle charger question

Discussion in '360/430' started by mrpcar, Jan 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Have some trickel charger questions:

(1). When do you guys decide to hook it up to the car? if car is parked for more than 2 days, or a week? I plan to drive my car at least once a week.
    (2). Do you guys use the factory trickle charger that came with the car? Or some other units?
    (3). I heard that some people have a wire behind the driver's seat where they hook it up to? What is that? An owner added option? Where do you tap the wires to?
    (4). When car is on trickle charger do you guys turn off the main battery switch?

TIA

2. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Here are a few threads regarding trickle chargers and 360's

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127183&highlight=trickle+charger

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121179&highlight=trickle+charger

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137231&highlight=trickle+charger

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110301&highlight=trickle+charger

3. vnttg

vnttg Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2007
    CA
  4. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I plug my 430 into the factorr-supplied charger when ever I park the car in my garage. Reason is I never know how long it'll be between drives and always want the battery topped off.

Frank

5. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The only reason why I am considering other battery tender questions is that I have read numbers of posts saying that the Ferrari unit is junk, can cause battery drain.....

6. 900ssDuke

900ssDuke Karting

Sep 12, 2007
    UK
    1 Every time I put the car in the garage. Any more than a week ignored and my new battery can let me down. I know that if you get the chance to use these cars regularly you might not need a trickle charger.
    2 I did not get a charger with the car, I purchased an Accumate as it was a fraction of the cost
    3 My 360 came pre wired for a charger in the trunk (remove a panel below the wnidscreen to access.) It was a pain to get to, my cigarette lighter is live with the keys removed so I use it.
    4 I leave the main battery switch on so that the doors locks and alarm operate

regards,
    AndyB

7. davidkuola

davidkuola Karting

Feb 26, 2007
    Arcadia, CA
    Full Name:
    David Kuo
    (1) After drive the car everytime, I always plug in battery tender (black box w/wire) to the prewired pig tail plug. Until the green light is on, then unplug it.
    (2) No, it's a crap (the old style).
    (3) This is the way to go. Go buy a "Battery Tender Plus" (brand name) It comes with tender and wire/pig tail. Then get a F-mechanic (or go back to AG, it should be free for the 5 minute job)to install the pig tail. Make sure wire it behind the driver seat. Don't connect it from the passage side foot well battery directly. Other than from Internet, you even can get the tender from local Harley davidson dealer for 60 bucks only (that's how I got it).
    4) No.
    P.S. 360 has less battery issue than 430, I'm not going to worry about it for not having a "life support" in weeks. NOW it's the time to have lots of fun with your new car, and you DO need to take that HOT Ferrari out EVERYDAY.

8. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Where exactly do you hook the pigtail on behind the driver's seat? I don't think I want to drive all the way back to AG to get this done. I saw some posts that people were hooking the pigtail up the the red post on the passenger (right) side.

Thanks

9. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I had AG install this on both my cars. It's easy and inexpensive and very convenient. I don't use my charger much because I drive the car almost every week. If I'm not going to drive for over 2 weeks then I hook it up.

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
  11. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Same procedure here.

12. davidkuola

davidkuola Karting

Feb 26, 2007
    Arcadia, CA
    Full Name:
    David Kuo
    In between the drive seat back and rear bench shelf, there is a one step up flat area (bench?), underneath of the carpet, you will find lots of wires. That's the ONLY correct spot to do the wiring. Or call Eugino 626-4847933. He is a great guy.

13. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    I've been using the supplied Ferrari OEM charger.........absolutely no problems. It works fine.

14. SKXF430

SKXF430 Karting

Oct 19, 2004
    W. Los Angeles
    I think if you drive your car once a week than your battery should be fine. Do you arm your alarm every time you put it in your garage? That is creating most of the drain on your battery so if you don't have to don't arm it.

Also, what year is your car? If it is a late '07 or '08 than a battery charger came standard with the car.

15. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    I have F-OEM charger and my car is pre wired and the charger never turns on the little led !!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    What year is your F430?
    I have the older version charger on my 2007. The lights on the charger should go from red when first plugged in to orange then green when fully charged.

17. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    07 and I tried to use it several times and nothing happens with the leds always off the car runs ok after 3 weeks of no use....Don't understand I took the battery tender to a F dealer and they said it was ok but they also mention that one time they has to do something to the electrical installation of this item in another car to make it work...

18. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    I do the same but hook up to the Deltran battery Tender which gets good mention in the threads that were supplied on this subject

19. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    +1

20. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    It's all very simple....

IF you hook-up your charger...you'll end up driving the car the very next day or even out for dinner later that night.

If you decide not to hook-up your charger, you'll likely go 3 weeks before turning the key again.

:D :D :D :D :D

One day....I'm gonna invent a small device that runs on it's own 9-volt battery, it'll plug into your cigarette lighter and just sit there. When the battery drops below a certain level it'll start beeping. One day you're wife will tell you the Ferrari is beeping and you'll realize it's time to run out and plug in the battery tender before things get problematic. Oh the practicality.....but where's the fun???? ;)