Seat/pedal adjustment for petite wife | FerrariChat

Seat/pedal adjustment for petite wife

Discussion in '308/328' started by luckydynes, Jan 26, 2008.

1. We apologize, our new Classifieds has been intermittently down as we sent an email today that overloaded the system. We'll get it fixed and then you can link from the header "Buy - Sell" or from the email. Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Hey all,

I want (I think ;)) to set up the 308's so my wife can drive them comfortably (won't need to buy her a flippin' P car then).

She's a small girl . . when the seat's all the way up she can reach the pedals but it doesn't detent at that position. It shouldn't be too hard to get the seat to latch that far forward, but she doesn't feel real comfortable. I think the seat needs to be a little higher but then I think the pedals might need blocking/adjusting.

I don't mind spacing the seat up to start with to get a feel for where everything needs to be . . . would like it to be adjustable ultimatley 'cause if I space the seat up I think I'll have to leave the roof off for me to drive :).

Another observation . .. the '82 seems to have a longer shifter than the '81 which makes the driving position seem more comfortable to her but seat still isn't detenting at full forward position.

Anyone tried adjustable pedal setups on a 308 like those I've seen available for P cars?

What about a height/tilt adjustment bracket for a 308 seat?

Thanks,

Sean

P.S. She fits a Testarossa just fine so that's back on the radar again also :)

2. rokodude

rokodude Karting

Dec 3, 2007
    Overton Nevada
    Full Name:
    Michael J Greco
    I have a 86 Mondial,and have the same thing with my wife.Shes only 4`11.She can reach the pedal but can not depress the cultch pedal all the way.I said she should dig out her old platform shoes from the 70`s,or noy drive the car.Can not repeat what she said to me.Is there a way to adjust the pedals?

mike

3. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Probably similar to the comments I heard when I told my wife to go grab a pillow to sit on :) Hmmmm . .. could make a custom seat "insert" booster pad. Think she ends up feeling too close to the steering wheel though.

4. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    My wife uses a pillow behind her back on my 328. No problems for her.
    Ciao
    Eugenio

5. Ultimate Pedals

Ultimate Pedals Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Rob Baylor
    Many customers have spaced our pedals by stacking washers (28 washers per screw per inch) between the back of our aluminum pedal and the front of the factory pedal.

Another alternative to washers would be custom made aluminum spacers.

Here is a link to a company that manufactures low cost spacers:

www.aluminumspacers.com

We can include longer mounting screws to allow you to space the pedals off the stock pedals (up to 1") by stacking washers on each screw (we recommend using four screws per pedal).

To extend the pedals up to 2.25" you will need longer screws than we carry and more washers or taller spacers.

Call a company called McMaster Carr in Atlanta at (404) 346-7000 to order the longer screws.

Order:

1) four screws per pedal that you want extended (part #92125A230, includes
    10 per pack $4.10 each pack, stainless steel mounting screws 5mm X 60mm (~2 3/8") long)
    2) you will need 28 washers per screw per inch (part #93475A240, include 100 per pack $1.43 each pack, stainless steel flat washers for 5mm screw)

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Rob

6. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Beware .. equipping your Fcar for your wife to drive may have serious consequences. You'll find yourself in the passenger seat far more than you think (how do I know this?). Your best solution is : "honey, there is NO WAY to get you close to the pedals .. sorrrryyy." And show real remorse.

7. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    I got two so that shouldn't be a problem (cars that is :))

8. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull

This sounds like the way to go. Guess I can't drive that car with bare feet anymore :( . . . not the end of the world :)

9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    We were able to alleviate the seating/pedal problem but the lack of power-steering made low speed (parking lot) maneuvering for her a bear. If the tire pressure is low by even 2 or 3 psi there will be a noticeable improvement in the steering when inflated correctly.

We never completely resolved her difficulty in pushing down on the shifter to engage reverse. I said she just needed to "get on top of it"...

10. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    An incredable poor choice of words, I'd say.

Well, that does paints a picture doesn't it?!

How hard and how many times did you get hit? :)

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Fortunately, she had a sense of humor. You know the Dutch and their skill with their multi-lingual double entendres; can't get too many passed them.

12. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Sounds to me like you need to modify just ONE of the 308s, leave the other one set up for you. Just a thought.

Based on your other posts, you seem to have the skills needed to adapt other parts to the 308 chassis. Maybe something like the new viper power adjustable stuff, or something similar? Summit Racing? Certainly more expensive and tougher than spacers, but doesn't the thought of a 2 inch stack of washers give you the heebie-jeebies?

13. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Yep those are some good suggestions.

You'll never see a 2 inch stack of washers on my car . .. I'd make spacers for the pedals but I think the adjustable seat would be a nice addition.

Have you seenunder the Viper seat? I had the seat out of a new P car . .. power adjustable would be flipping cool! The P car seat had cable drives but it seemed like you'd have to raise the seat a bunch to get it in. I'll check out Summit to and see what's available for hot rods.

Thanks,

Sean

14. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Started a thread in the tech section also about possible power seats for the 308 and I remembered I saw a 308 with 360 seats in it .. .. wonder if they were power seats or if he had to utitilize the 308 tracks . .. I remember who it was so I'll PM him.

Sean

15. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Well, I don't know much about the Dutch, but I do know about the Germans and can relate. My German wife was born and grew up in what is now Poland. Came across the boarders at 12 yrs old with a machine gun in her back. She speaks, German + several dialets, Polish, Russian, her English is impecable and after 5-7 days in any country she is speaking that language as well.

I can't get much by her either.

16. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    what's all this talk about modifying a 308 to fit the wife/girlfriend? Why not modify the wife to fit the car?
    A trip down to Rio for carnival might not be a bad thing this time of year. :)