Update on the scc ultimate aero tt | FerrariChat

Update on the scc ultimate aero tt

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by pagani, Jan 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pagani

pagani Karting

Aug 9, 2007
    Roermond NL
    Full Name:
    Wouter
    My apologies for the delay, but thanks for the support, there’s been an amazing amount of new members the past couple months and I’m glad to say this is a particularly interesting update!

Since we broke the top speed record things have been nothing short of hectic, but I have some truly amazing stories to tell. To bring everyone up to speed I’d like to talk about what SSC has been doing the past couple months. The beginning of October was spent doing final inspections on the car used for testing and I’m happy to say that we have no issues. The rest of October we put the final touches on a special edition Ultimate Aero. Once we broke the record I decided to build myself a car. I’ve always wanted a white and black Ultimate Aero with two tone red and black interior. I decided to reproduce an additional 4 of these models and label them as the commemorative edition for the speed record. Anyhow, we brought the second commemorative edition to the Dubai Motor Show in November. We were a huge hit! The Ultimate Aero was the focus of the show and in most of the show advertisements around Dubai. The show was a success on all fronts; we were able to obtain a great deal of media coverage in the Gulf Region along with interviewing several interested dealerships. Unfortunately we ran out of time to finalize a dealer during the show so we ended up going back two weeks later and I’m happy to announce that we are in the midst of finalizing a dealership in Dubai.

During my second trip back to Dubai I also had time to take an Ultimate Aero to some of the Sheikhs’ palaces for some test drives. The first Sheikh we visited had us meet him at one of his many "sitting villas". This particular one was a circle shaped villa primarily used to sip tea and coffee. There were also structures surrounding the sitting villa, the first half consisted of lion and gorilla pens. I’ve never seen lions as big as I did that night, and the Sheikh’s friends would walk up to the pens and put their hands in to pet them, it was an interesting site. The other structure surrounding the sitting villa was a garage with about 10 bays (a small storage compared to his 100+ car warehouse). As the doors opened I saw a Mansory Rolls-Royce Phantom, Koenigsegg CCX, Gemballa Porsche Mirage GT, and Brabus Rocket just to name a few. Once the Ultimate Aero was unloaded the Sheikh and his car consultant went for a quick drive, they came back more than impressed. Then they took out their Koenigsegg for a back to back comparison. When they returned the asked if I would take the Sheikh’s car consultant for a drive. As we pulled out of the villa, I was told that were was a 400 meter straight that I could use to accelerate and after a couple left and right turns we were there. I was given the go ahead and laid into the throttle, about half way through fourth the Sheikh’s consultant grabbed my leg and put up his hand saying "STOP STOP! THAT’S ENOUGH!". Fearing we had already ran out of road I got off the gas and onto the brakes. As we started to coast my passenger started to calm down, he took a deep breath and said "I drive Koenigsegg’s and Bugatti’s every week but I have never felt anything fast like this before". It turns out we weren’t out of road, he has just had enough! Another interesting comment made to us that night by the Sheikh and his consultant was that the Ultimate Aero rode much more comfortably than the Veyron. I always new the Ultimate Aero had a surprisingly smooth ride quality but everyone talks about the Veyron’s luxurious nature so those remarks were interesting.

The day after our first Dubai test drive experience was one of the more gratifying experiences thus far in SSC... our drag race with a Veyron. We were asked to present the car to another Sheikh who was interested in purchasing one. We drove through the palace gates behind the flat bed with the Ultimate Aero on top, pulled in front of the entrance and unloaded the Aero. Followed by an entourage of about 15, the Sheikh walked over and greeted us kindly. While I was talking to him he motioned to a nearby gentleman. This gentleman turned out to be the Sheikh’s car consultant and a professional rally car racer. After a couple minutes of Q & A between us three the Sheikh turned to his consultant and said, "get the Bugatti". He then turned to me and said "now we will see which one is faster". I knew that on paper we were faster than the Veyron but this was going to be the real deal. We walked over to the Aero and the Sheikh jumped in the driver’s seat. Having never driven the Ultimate Aero I suggested that I drive first to teach him about the car (like normal test drives with high end supercars). The Sheikh said not to worry and insisted we go, so I obliged and we started driving. On our way out, to what turned out to be Emirates Highway (the biggest highway in the U.A.E.), the Sheikh also commented that the Ultimate Aero’s ride was much more comfortable than his Veyron’s. Right about this time we pulled onto Emirates Highway and parked on the shoulder. We waited several minutes talking about the Aero when a black and orange Veyron appeared behind us. The Sheikh waited for a gap in traffic and pulled onto the highway, the Veyron followed. As the Veyron pulled up along side of us we stopped and held up traffic. For those of you in the US this would be the equivalent of stopping a four lane section of route 80 on impulse. The Sheikh and his consultant (who was piloting the Veyron) communicated via their cell phones and I heard them begin to count down from three. Just a fraction of a second before "go" the Veyron jumped the gun, but as soon as the Sheikh throttled into the Ultimate Aero there was almost no contest. We pulled ahead 1.5 car lengths every gear up to 180 mph (4th gear) where we both let off, at the end the Ultimate Aero was 6 car lengths ahead and pulling away faster and faster. As we reconvened on the shoulder the Sheikh and his consultant had nothing but impressive statements about the Aero. After, I mentioned to the Sheikh that I’ve never rode or driven in a Veyron. Needless to say he threw me the keys and we took a nice 30 minute drive. I was impressed with the styling and appearance other than that, all I will say is that now I’m even more satisfied with the engineering behind the Ultimate Aero.

2. jorge.rios

jorge.rios F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 2, 2006
    Monterrey
    Full Name:
    Jorge
    What does this have to do with this section...???

It should be in the Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, & Planes section...

3. pagani

pagani Karting

Aug 9, 2007
    Roermond NL
    Full Name:
    Wouter
    I posted it in the wrong section.
    Sorry

4. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Excellent.

Say, I live in the Pacific NW, just down I-84 a bit, and as the car is manufactured in the Tri-Cities area, I wonder if you guys ever let the public view it, sort of a Meet and Greet? Or could I watch it during a speed test?

Just curious, thanks.

An intriguing car.

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Great story!

Do you have any pictures for your outtings?

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Cool Report! The car looked great at PBSCW and it was nice to meet and talk to you.

Best

7. Sherm

Sherm Karting

Jul 7, 2005
    Central Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tom
    great story. That mush have been a surreal experience racing the Veyron down the highway.
    I guess life in the UAE is just something that I can't even imaging. Even reading articles and seeing pictures, stories like this amaze me.

8. PapaiK

PapaiK Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Thanks for sharing your great story!

9. Zupra

Zupra F1 Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    St Louis
    Full Name:
    Chesney
    That's amazing, I envy what you've done with the Aero

10. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    This thread is worthtless without pics/video :). I think you should give me one of them cars, so I can verify if it's really fast.

11. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Its a great car iam glad they are headed in the right dirrection.

Go get em Jerod!

12. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Great experience. :) I'm sure SSC haters will still call BS on 2 Veyron owners saying the SSC rode better, though.

13. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Its like comparing a Lexus to a Corvette :D.

14. ZetteOh6

ZetteOh6 Karting

Aug 16, 2007
    New York City
    This sounds nice and dandy, but remember, the Bugatti was engineered to not only be the fastest car on the planet, but to be reliable, safe and accommodating on the road as well.

It took a lot of blood, sweat and tears to bring this car to reality. Can you really sit here and say that the same level of research and development went into the Aero? There's a reason why there are so many haters for this car, many think it's another kit car with a big engine, not a carefully engineered, carefully crafted car.

I don't know, but your story sounds VERY fishy. First of all, the performance numbers aren't THAT far apart. The 0-60, quarter mile, 0-100-0, etc, are all around the same ballpark, and the Veyron is actually faster in some areas. I don't want to quote numbers, because they have never been tested together so weather, track, etc come into play, but still, they are tenths apart, not seconds. Also, the "fastest car in the world" claim is great, but by 3 mph? Woopty doo.

All this makes me take your story about how the Sheik's assistant almost **** in his pants makes me want to swallow this one with a grain of salt.

Such a big story, yet no pics or videos. What a shame.

15. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I would add another reason this car doesn't/won't get much respect is because Shelby is such a huge dick-wad. No one wants to throw money his way.

While I do think the design is nice, I would take the Veyron over it any day of the week. Not to mention I view this "speed record" with a *. It's not a production car imo.

16. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I could be wrong but I dont think Carrol Shelby had anything to do with SCC.

17. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Different Shelby. Not the ex chicken farmer who I agree with your opinion is a total POS today.

18. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thanks for the clarification Napolis. :)

19. pagani

pagani Karting

Aug 9, 2007
    Roermond NL
    Full Name:
    Wouter
    I think carrol shelby schould step and hand his company over to somebody younger.

20. pagani

pagani Karting

Aug 9, 2007
    Roermond NL
    Full Name:
    Wouter
    I am so in in love whit this car

Btw i did not right the story.

21. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    citeing the source would be great!

22. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Post a link to the original article.

Otherwise, you will be deemed a B.S. artist.

I do so want to believe...

23. pagani

pagani Karting

Aug 9, 2007
    Roermond NL
    Full Name:
    Wouter