car on fire... any ideas? | FerrariChat

car on fire... any ideas?

Discussion in '308/328' started by PTIFLIPIOU, Feb 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PTIFLIPIOU

PTIFLIPIOU Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Philippe Pouilloux
    #1 PTIFLIPIOU, Feb 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi all, I have a 85 308 QV, and here's todays adventure:

Well, it all started with some "holes" in the acceleration with gentle pressure on the accelerator. The rides then became smoother as I pushed more on the pedal and increased RPMs.

I thought nothing of it at first thinking that the car did not like the cold.

I then proceed on the freeway (I had friends with me, 3 cars total, going for a cruise). After a wile, I noticed, as I was going 75 in 5th gear that the car would not accelerate faster. Sensing something wrong I took the first exit (the acceleration was definitely wrong and weird by then) and parked.

I got out o the car, noticed some smoke around the driver’s side exhaust, then flames stared coming out of the grill.

I must ell you that right there and then I was saying a silent “goodbye” to my Precious”. I had no extinguisher. Hopefully one of my friends, J.T., had a bottle of water with him and sprayed the flames, killing the fire.

Now, my thinking is that I have a break in the fuel line going to the injectors, and that some gas spilled on the exhaust and caught on fire.

Is there a fuel line in the area that could have been responsible?

Does anybody have another suggestion as to what might have happened?

Did anyone ever have the same experience?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Sounds like a classic single-bank ignition failure. Loss of power because of no ignition on one side, raw gas flows into the cat converter, and ignites.

I'm glad you are safe, and you didn't lose your car.

3. PTIFLIPIOU

PTIFLIPIOU Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Philippe Pouilloux
    Is tis a "big fix"?

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    That's just a guess. I would strongly recommend you take it to a mechanic for an inspection.

5. PTIFLIPIOU

PTIFLIPIOU Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Philippe Pouilloux
    I sure will.

Thank you very much. it does sound like a strong possibility.

6. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Whew, that was close!!! Maybe you should add an extinguisher on your next shopping list!? I think you should.

7. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Jeeeeeeeeeez............. pleeeeeeeeeez................ buy TWO (larger than you really want) fire extinguishers immediately and keep them in different locations in the car. You got a get out of jail card/warning this time that many people do not get.

If it had been a broken fuel line/injector fuel line I think your car would have been toast. As was previously mentioned, sounds like a cat. overheated. Might have lit up some oil/grease, insulation material etc.

Erich
    PS. get a BIG extinguisher for the garage too.

8. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I'd guess ignition, probably a whole bank as suggested so look at rotors, coil, etc. Raw fuel in the cat causing the fire on one side only. I'd doubt fuel lines or injectors given your description. You're lucky, get the fire extinguishers for sure. I had a rotor problem with cat glowing, no fire but close. Get someone to look at ignition first, fuel injection next. Good luck.

Jeff

9. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Slight posibility it could be oil coming out the exhuast for some reason or oil dripping on the exhaust but I'm leaning towards the single bank failure. Especially if the car ran bad right before you stopped. If it was an oil fire I would expect a lot of smoke

10. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Also have the cats inspected. If it was an ignition failure or over rich condition, flames out the exhaust require significant heat, they probably began to melt. Good opportunity to put some test pipes on the car, doubles as a safety factor keeping temps down. Agree with above, have it sorted thoroughly by a qualified mechanic.

11. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    By the way, if you have not changed the fuel lines, they probably need to be changed. Every single 3x8/Mondial I've seen come in for major service have had at least one fuel line that was split. This is usually the source of fire, but in your case I agree with the others. It would be a shame, though, to go through all of the fixes for your current problem, only to have another fire down the road.

12. FLVICE

FLVICE Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2006
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Shoudn't the "Slow Down Light" come on also under those circumstances? Might want to check those lights too. My euro dosen't have those so I can't speak from experience.

13. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    YES....if the Thermocouple circuit was operational.

14. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Yes, on my 82 Mondial. While I don't recall exactly what they did to fix it (one of the banks went out, as Tillman notes), it was no big deal to repair, didn't even need to replace any of the exhaust system.

15. PTIFLIPIOU

PTIFLIPIOU Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Philippe Pouilloux
    Thank you guys.

I'll take it to the mechanic!

I might say, though, that I am a little disappointed that nobody suggested that I bought an extinguisher! :)

That was a close one though and I'll never drive again without an extinguisher or 2 and a carton of evian bottles!

Phil

16. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Dont use evian, perrier works best for CAT fires!! :D:D:D

17. PTIFLIPIOU

PTIFLIPIOU Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Philippe Pouilloux
    Duly noted. Perrier it is! Or...

Any contra-indication on the use of Taitainger Rose? If I have to do bubbly, I wanna do it right!

18. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Its acceptible but the factory insists on perrier. :D

19. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Please let us know what the shop says. I had a close call the other day. I over-filled the 328 because the pump didn't shut off. Car was very, very hot from a spirited drive. I pushed it off to the side, walked home and got a siphon hose and sucked out excess fuel. Still nervous, waited till car cooled down, then Idled home with my fire ext. in my lap just in case.

20. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam
    I put a fire supression system in my '77 GTB for this type of thing. Pull the pin, pull the handle and the supression juice is flowing into the engine compartment much quicker than you can reach for the extinguisher, let alone go through the motions of putting the juice on the flame. It cost me about $600 bucks and gives me great piece of mind.

The bottle is in the left hand side of the trunk just behing the wheel well. There's two nozzles for the engine compartment. The trigger pins are at the drivers left shoulder. He can pull them as he gets out of the car.

Bob Wassam

21. PTIFLIPIOU

PTIFLIPIOU Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Philippe Pouilloux
    Thank you guys, very useful inputs.

Well, she at the mechanic's right now. I'll let you know when I have a verdict.

22. Abarth

Abarth Karting

Nov 18, 2007
    Sweden
    Doesn’t sound right to me that the entire bank shut off having un burnt fuel going through the cats, wouldn’t the color of the pipes be black and not that tan as the picture shows?
    Sounds more like lean mix due to leakage or something like that.
    Bad performance due to burnt and partial clogged cat perhaps?
    Bad flow through cat gives lower flow through engine and less fuel due to lower airflow through the disc at the fuel distributor, which gives hotter combustion and makes the cat hotter…
    My guess is the cat started it all.
    I’m happy you are ok and you managed to save the car that well.
    Keep us posted.

23. PTIFLIPIOU

PTIFLIPIOU Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Philippe Pouilloux
    You just nailed it man...

Apparently, the cat was clogged and overheated, the BUMPER caught on fire!

(Damn cat! I usually love the furry little things. I'll make sure to give him wheat grass from now on!)

I'm thinking of running a traight pipe and forget about the cat altogether!

24. Abarth

Abarth Karting

Nov 18, 2007
    Sweden
    Great!
    Not to big job to restore the car than. Polish and straight pipes and you’re done.

And don’t forget to install one of those red bottles in the car now.

:D

25. PTIFLIPIOU

PTIFLIPIOU Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Philippe Pouilloux
    you got it!

A pipe and a bottle of red!

I will have a nice evening for sure but... what about the car?

Phil