5701 GT | FerrariChat

5701 GT

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Glassman, Mar 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I have been living in Hawaii for the last few months and see that an old friend of mine has finally seen the light of day. 5701 GT has been with it's original owner since 1964 and logged only 3175 miles from new. I hear that RPM has bought the car. Anyone know any details? This car is as original as they get. I surely hope that the original owner is still in good health.

2. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    I had heard about this car, a series 1 330gt with 3000 orginal miles, wild! In a way its sad that it spent its whole life in a state where it wasn't being enjoyed. Best Yale

3. Fontana

Fontana Karting

Dec 30, 2006
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Peter Markowski
    These cars are not "meant to be driven" as everyone says. Look at all you have had to do to keep your "meant to be driven" 330 Yale!
    These cars are not meant to be driven and Ferrari ownership is not "all about driving the cars". Ferrari ownership is about pursuing the car, learning about the car, getting the car up to a level that you want, meeting people, learning about who you like to deal with for repairs, enjoying F-Chat...

I guess that it is 30% about "driving the car".

Anyone who says "it is all about driving the car" or "these cars were meant to be driven" does not have a clue or does not own a Ferrari!

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Steve,

Have you taken delivery yet?

Regards,

Art S.

5. Fontana

Fontana Karting

Dec 30, 2006
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Peter Markowski
    Art,

We will probably debut the car at the Reading PA show in May. It is in a remote location and to get it out of there is not easy.
    I am very excited to see the car and do some blog entries on what exactly "original" standards looks like.
    Yale, no disrespect to you, just hate hearing people say that these cars are meant to be driven. You cannot even drive a 330 with crank windows because the handle is jambed into your knee!

6. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    #6 yale, Mar 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No disrespect at all taken Steve. The funny thing is you are the first person I have heard say this, but that has certainly been my experience. So instead I bought a 1972 911 to drive a lot and use the Ferrari sometimes. In my history of the past five years, putting 15 - 20,000 miles on the Ferrari I am still sorting out issues that come up so that it feels like every drive pro-rates out to costing me $500. About 6000 to 12,000 a year, or minimum of $2 per mile for unscheduled maintenance.

I always wonder what it was like to be a new owner though and so a 1964 330 with only 3000 miles on it... did that mean after the first 3000 miles things started to happen and as the owner lived in Montana there was no nearby service person so fixing the car was an ordeal and it was easier just to park it and stare loving ling at it?

Can you please tell us the story of how this car came to only have 3000 miles in 40 years?

Here is the car right:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

#7 Glassman, Mar 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This car was driven. Four times a year since new. And then lovingly cared for in between trips. An oil and coolant change also every year. It is something to behold.
    I had hoped that it would be mine, but ever rising values has made that impossible. I am very glad that it is going to a good home. I know John is very happy too. I just talked to him this morning.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Other than replacing one coolant hose, the battery, and the oil filters, this car is exactly as it came from the factory. It runs just as it did when it rolled out the factory doors. The original battery used to be under some junk behind the barn but we couldn't find it last summer.
    John had ordered a couple of Ferrari's in the late 50's and early 60's and of course they couldn't deliver. This was the only car on hand when he visited the showroom so he took it. The original order was for a 250 SWB and then for a 500 Superfast.

9. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Montana guy sounds like a cool dude. I spy a couple of antique stationary engines in the background through the windshield in post #7. I've got a few of those.