Scratching the bottom of the front spoiler F430 | FerrariChat

Scratching the bottom of the front spoiler F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by J2J, Apr 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J2J

J2J Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2008
    Can you guys give me some ideas re: preventing this from happening (again)? Also, please make me feel better regarding the fact that I already scraped the front left on what seemed to have the total elevation of a pebble.

2. BorisSF

BorisSF Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2007
    Chicago
    There goes $10,000

Just kidding!

.... or am I?

3. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    In the ten days I've had my 430, I've scratched both the front and right underside of the bumper several times. I don't know how anyone avoids it. At least on the GT3, the front lip was sacrificial.

My plan is to keep touching it up so you don't see the white composite material when parked on a slope, and if I ever trade it in or sell it, just get it fixed at that time. It doesn't hurt the car, and you usually can't see it. Drive the car, don't worry about it, and enjoy!

That being said, one of the sponsors sells scrape shields that you bolt under the front bumper and they become sacrificial vs the bumper itself.

4. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    #4 Tarek K., Apr 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Welcome to the club..........I doubt you will find a single F430 without a scraped front bumper unless it's a garage queen ofcourse. You will scrape it again......so don't worry about it. What you can do to avoid scraping the bumper itself, is to fix skidplates to the bottom of your bumper..........most of us have. That way you will scrape the skidplates without damaging the bumper.

Some pictures of the skidplates mounted to my F430:

You will want to know where to buy them from.........it's Premier Motorsport, Culver City, CA - David Freed, (310) 559 1562
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. marksp

marksp Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2006
    Redmond, WA
    +1 - Premier skids installed as soon as possible!

6. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    +1

7. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I had skid plates, like Tarek's, installed on my car while it was still at the dealer before my first ride home. I'm happy I did... on the 2nd ride out, driving through the mountain roads we have here in NorCal, I hit a kicker with the rear tires which made the chin of the car slap the pavement... at speed. Horrible sound, chill up my spine... pulled over as soon as I could and the skid plates took 100% of the absuse. Since then, I've had the same thing happen (in different locations) 3-4 times on the on the road. I've yet to scrape coming into/out of a driveway, go figure.

My car is stock ride height... I don't know how you guys with lowered cars can drive anywhere.

Frank

8. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    I'm at Euro height and although the roads in SoCA aren't necessarily great I haven't encountered many problems. Biggest obstacle's are speed bumps and driveways.

9. stitch

stitch Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2008
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Tarek I love your posts, some of them funny as hell. I noticed that's a LA number - do you live in LA or in Cairo? Charles in LA

10. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I've (knock on wood) have yet to have scrapped my prior 05 or new 07 front end.

11. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    What else to expect from a garage queen...........

12. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Thanks Charles :)...........I live in Cairo, that's David's number in Culver City where I bought my skidplates.

Regards,

Tarek

13. J2J

J2J Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2008
    Guys..thanks very much for the posts. It makes me feel good that I'm not alone...amazes me that some of you don't scrape the spoiler...seems unavoidable. I am going to grab some of the guards mentioned on the post...thanks again!

14. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Why is the underneath of your car so different than the rest? Have you removed the cover or something? Must be why it's on the lift, I guess. The underside of my 430's are completely flat and you cant see any of the suspension, engine etc... Im sure you just have parts removed and I am stupid for asking but... just in case :D

15. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    tarek, do you know if they make plates for the LP640 murcie?

16. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    The front tray is removed. I was mounting the skidplates and you need to remove it to access the inside of the bumper to hold the nuts.

17. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Don't know............but I need to call him today anyway for my Scuderia skidplates, so I'll ask David and post his reply.

18. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    .........was only joking DJ.

19. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    thanks

20. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I try and know the road geometrics. Over 7500 miles on the 360 and no scrapes. Now the Diablo was a different story! No shopping centers for sure. My new three pedal car is for sure a garage queen due to the great and long lasting winter we had in Indiana but I hope to change that status. Bottom line is that skid plates are a great idea.

21. Marco0355

Marco0355 Karting

Aug 22, 2005
    GTA
    I just posted this in the other thread about Skid Plates. www.ldpengineering.com

They're suppose to be releasing a set for the F430 within the next few weeks. Offering more protection than competitors at a more attractive price.

22. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Scud...........spoke to Dave at Premier Motorsport a few minutes ago. Yes, they do make skidplates for the LP640. He will email me a picture this evening. I will post it here for you.

23. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    good work mate

24. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    ;)...........

25. Tarek K.