348 Rear Alternative | FerrariChat

348 Rear Alternative

Discussion in '348/355' started by markarelius3, Apr 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. markarelius3

markarelius3 Karting

Jun 17, 2007
    Alpine, UT
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #1 markarelius3, Apr 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Some of you may have seen these pictures from about a month ago. It retains the rear grill of the 348, however, it incorporates the round rear lights. I am 3/4 into the changeover. I have fabricated aluminum carriers for the lights and have mounted them in place. Ferrari matching black mesh spans the gap between the two sets of lights ala F40. Picture included "how-to" will be posted as soon as I am done. Question: I need to find out the part number on the 355 light connectors. It is a female 4-flat something. Does anyone know? Yes, I know raywheels sells these, but as I understand, these are only for sale as a kit. I have the 355 lights and not the 550s. If we could come up with the part numbers for both sides, 348Male and 355 female, we could add these to the 348 primer for easy future conversions.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Mark, I doubt there is a part number for just the connector, Ferrari typically sells wiring harnesses in sections. Have you contacted RayWheels to see if they will sell you just the conversion connectors? Also for the record, 355 & 550 tail lights are the same part numbers.

If you intent to make more of these kits, I may be interested... I have a feeling that Husker is abandoning his project.

3. bureau13

bureau13 Rookie

Feb 3, 2008
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff Smith
    By mesh do you mean the stuff they make Challenge grills out of for the 355, 360, et al?

To me this looks great. It adds back some traditional Ferrari look that was missing from the stock 348, while retaining some of what made the 348 unique. Best of both worlds!

jds

4. 348guy

348guy Karting

Nov 28, 2007
    Ashburn, VA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Are you mounting the round lights behind the factory grille or cutting round holes in the grille? I think the lights would look awesome with round cutouts in the 348 grille and mounted the same, depth wise, as the 355.

5. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    That looks sharp. Should be intersting to see final detail shots. Now when people spot you on the road from behind they'll say " hey look at 3-4-5, or Uhh 3-5-8?"

6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    How about the lower picture without the horizontal grilles and reqork the exhaust to exit some screens in the other spaces? I do like the look of this mod.
    :)
    BT

7. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    While I do not condone messing with the stock look of a 348 rear end (hey get a 355 if that's what you want!), I do like the first picture of the round tail lights behind the 348 grates. Now that is what the factory should have done to keep the rear end theme and create a separate 348 identity. Plus there is room for Challenge style rear vents. Imagine a SS version with the grates cut out at the lights. Wow, instant classic.

8. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I do wish you guys wouldn't use such technical terms...I didn't even sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, and now I've spent hours on google...these "Ferrari Specific" terms just make me wish I could speak Italian more and more....

Mike in Kuwait

9. markarelius3

markarelius3 Karting

Jun 17, 2007
    Alpine, UT
    Full Name:
    Mark
    "Mark, I doubt there is a part number for just the connector, Ferrari typically sells wiring harnesses in sections. Have you contacted RayWheels to see if they will sell you just the conversion connectors? Also for the record, 355 & 550 tail lights are the same part numbers.

If you intent to make more of these kits, I may be interested... I have a feeling that Husker is abandoning his project."

Ferrari doesnt make the connectors, a group such as AMP, Weatherpak, etc made the connectors on the wiring harness. These connectors have part numbers from the original manufacturer. This is what I am looking for, they can generally be purchased as pigtails. I had heard that the 550 lights have the same connectors as the 348 (ie a weatherpak 8 stack) whereas, the 355 has a female 4-flat rectangle tower plug. Maybe I will call Raywheels anyway. I dont think I will be making a kit, although, anyone can feel free to PM me for dimensions on the carrier plate.

10. markarelius3

markarelius3 Karting

Jun 17, 2007
    Alpine, UT
    Full Name:
    Mark

No, not the challenge grill mesh. It matches the mesh right behind the horsie on the rear grille in the two square panels. I agree, it makes the 348 more unique and Ferrariesque without losing the rear grill....but losing the hideous "toyota corolla square lights". Geez, I thought only Lotus did that.

11. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    That looks sweet! :D

12. markarelius3

markarelius3 Karting

Jun 17, 2007
    Alpine, UT
    Full Name:
    Mark

It will look like the top picture with the round lights behind the grille. I cant see how to do the "cut-outs" without major reinforcement and fabrication to the grille itself. Yeah, I think it would look great though.

13. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    WRONG. Project is very much on target. These things take a little time!!!

June was my target date for prototypes and still is. Everything is on target still.

14. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Excellent :)

15. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I cant say pecifically about the connector itself... but I can tell you absolutely that the 355, 360, 550 & 575 all have identical tail lights... all of them have the same tail light part numbers.
    It occurs to me that if the 550 already used some harness that had a main connector that was the same as the 348, then split off to the individual tail lights, RayWheels wouldn't have spent a small fortune having their harnesses custom made for their conversion kit.

On the other hand... having them custom made would probably cost 20% of what Ferrari would butt-rape you for the equivalent OEM harness.

Call Raywheels, tell him what you're doing and just ask him for some advice about connecting the lights... unless he turns out be a total jerkoff, i'm sure he'd help you out.... he IS a Ferrari guy afterall!

16. 348guy

348guy Karting

Nov 28, 2007
    Ashburn, VA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    If someone came upon a spare grille it would be cool to see what it would look like with the round cutouts. It would take some fabrication and reinforcement for sure. Maybe cut some mesh screen and tack it to the inside of the grille inbetween the left and right bank of lights.

Reading about you guys changing the rear grille got me to thinking that this might be a good way to get the traditional round tail lights and not make it look 355ish. Sorry, just the designer in me. :)

17. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    #17 albert328gts, May 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 355, 550 lights may look the same, and they are but the connectors as I found out are entirely different. 355 lights use a different wirring harness that connects male to female differently then 550 lights. When I did my Challenge grill and bought 355 lights I had NO idea they would not just connect to the 348 wirring, hard lesson, had to find used 355's wirring harness, ended up Blackhorse Motors in LA where the car gets serviced had a few and gave them to me, if not its an expensive item to find new or used. If I would of installed 550 lights, there would of been absolutely no problem connecting to the 348 wires. Ferrari parts very expensive, lessons in life priceless...

18. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    It is a term pioneered by some porting companies:
    See here:
    http://www.maximumraceengines.com/intakemanifoldporting.html
    :D
    BT

19. TomPDX

TomPDX Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Albert - Do you have any moe pics or instructions on your conversion? I am waiting for the "Husker Challenge Grill", and already bought the lights from Ferrari. I'm sure I bought the ones that will require the most rewiring possible. Thanks!

20. markarelius3

markarelius3 Karting

Jun 17, 2007
    Alpine, UT
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I am done with my conversion. Pics are coming soon. Rewiring from the 348 to the 355 is actually very easy if you can do basic electrical pin chasing. Here is the how to: with your 348 lights plugged in, follow the wires from the lights to the pins, write this down. Reverse is red/black, brake is double red, turn is blue, and driving lights are yellow with black or red stripe, black is ground. Next take a small eyeglass screwdriver and remove the pins from the connector, keep the connector by placing back in the 348 lights for storage. The outer 355 lights have three pins and the inner lights have 4 pins. The female pins you just removed from the 348 connectors will fit over the male 355 pins. The outer light pin will be black, no pin, yellow, then blue. The inner lights will be black, skip pin, red/black, then double red. After this I filled in the space around the pins with a semi-rigid grey RTV silicone gasket maker...effectively creating my own 355 connector plug. The only other step is to add a pigtail from the double black ground 348 loom to the inner light (ground pin is not long enough to span to the inner light from the outer. By doing it this way, there is no splicing involved and the pins can be pulled from the RTV silicone and reinstalled in the the 348 connector if you ever want to return to factory. No damage to 348 parts. If necessary, the 355 lights would need to be cleaned of the silicone. Hope this helps.
    Mark

21. TomPDX

TomPDX Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Helps?! Its a complete cure! Thanks Mark!

Also, I took you up on your offer, and PM'ed you a request for the light support specs. Thanks again, Tom

22. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Husker's still working on it! Stay tuned!

23. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
  24. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    Will be interested in seeing the results!

25. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    WOW! Pics, we need pics!!!