Verell, the fuel line tool works great! But be careful cutting the line off!.. | FerrariChat

Verell, the fuel line tool works great! But be careful cutting the line off!..

Discussion in '308/328' started by DMaury, May 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    #1 DMaury, May 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ...especially if you're a moron and using a razor blade to get the initial split going.

I had screwed up and put the lines back together in the wrong order for the 5-8 bank, and had to cut the lines off and do them over. Like a moron, I was using the razor to split the line lengthwise to get two halves to pull apart and tale off of the barb without scratching it. The moron part comes in where I was pushing the bladed towards my left hand holding the metal section of the line. Yep, it slipped, cut right through and went into the end of my index finger. I ended up needing 6 stitches and severing the nerve on that side. I hope to get feeling back on the end of the finger in two to three months.

My wife was still sleeping when I did this, and woke her up with blood flying everywhere. Some Mother's Day wake-up! ;)

I still got a lot done on the car after that, just bandaged it all up and worked with 9 digits! ;) See my other thread on the interior. :)

Anyway, here are some pictures of the finished lines, and a close-up of how good Verell's tool works. Looks factory!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    LMAO! Im sorry but I couldnt stop laughing when I saw that! Being in the trade, cuts are a daily thing for me but that ones a whopper!

3. Tifosi1

Tifosi1 Formula 3

Feb 17, 2002
    Pearl River, LA
    Full Name:
    Kelly J. Vince
    Did you get your windshield in????
    Kelly

4. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Yeah, we both got a good laugh out of it. After waking her up when I first did it (the amount of blood and how deep it was scared me) and telling her to get dressed and take me to the ER, I ended up making her stay at home with the 5 boys, and I drove myself there (I'm Chief of Staff, so snuck in the back door and got in and out fast). One of the ER nurses said I could have let her sleep. I thought, yeah, that's even better; her waking up to blood all over the kitchen floor and sink, and the other kids telling her "Oh, dad almost cut his finger off and went to the hospital" NOT! ;)

And Kelly, nope, haven't tried it yet; I'm planning on calling YOU before attempting it. :)

5. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    What, no before pic of the finger? Just kidding, wow, that was quite a cut, sorry to hear about your injury.

Jeff

6. foxmul

foxmul Karting

Mar 14, 2008
    Millington, NJ
    Full Name:
    Joseph Molino
    Do you have pics of each individual line? I am about to do this and I just have a bunch of connectors. I wanted to match side for side. Sorry about your finger!

Thanks

7. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I sure do. I had the same thing and it took a while to figure out what end goes to what end, hence the cut finger as I did one side wrong and had to cut 4 lines off! I'll get you some pics up this evening when I get home from work.

8. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    That's quite a war wound there. Nice work.

9. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    #9 DMaury, May 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Joseph, here are your pics. The following is a post by Ferrari328GT that perfectly explains the location of the lines and how they go to the metering device. I drew numbers to each line and on the device where each one goes. Hope this helps!

"
    OK, here's the answer. Ferrari numbers their cylinders starting with #1 at the passenger side rear cylinder. Immediately next to #1 is #2, then #3 and #4. Next go to the dirver's side front, which is #5. Number 6 is to the right of #5, then #7 and #8. So #8 is across from #1. Just wanted to be really clear here.

Now, on the fuel distributor, as you are looking at the engine from the back, start at the 3:00 o'clock position, which is between two pipes. Starting at the 3:30 position and going clockwise, the cylinders are numbered: 1,2,3,4,8,7,5,6. If I were clever, I'd do a diagram, but I hope this is clear enough. BTW, there is a bracket underneath and just forward of the CSI that holds the four FI lines. Top to bottom, they are #5,6,7,8. "

10. foxmul

foxmul Karting

Mar 14, 2008
    Millington, NJ
    Full Name:
    Joseph Molino
    Awesome!!! Thanks so much. Hope your finger is "feeling" better. Did you get the pun? I didn't mean it.

11. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    LOL! Yes, it feels better pain wise, but I feel nothing with the end of the finger past the cut. Hopefully the nerves will regenerate over the next few months. I'm glad I'm not a surgeon and right handed! ;)

12. foxmul

foxmul Karting

Mar 14, 2008
    Millington, NJ
    Full Name:
    Joseph Molino
    I did a search and came up empty handed. Where did you get the lines? How much were they? Are they all the same length? Do you have a pic of the tool?

13. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA