355 spyder trashed by the elements (possible repost?) | FerrariChat

355 spyder trashed by the elements (possible repost?)

Discussion in '348/355' started by technom3, May 16, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #1 technom3, May 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. 355Aussie

355Aussie Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    George
    Some people should not own these cars.

Geezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......................

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Not nice!! Not nice at all. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I suppose nothing a little bit of elbow grease/replace parts/respray wouldnt fix. :p:p

Looked like a great car too!! Goth will be raising the Ferrari flag half-mast tonite after seeing this mess!! :eek::eek:

4. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    did anyone else absolutely cringe when they saw the iconic shift gate rusted all to hell? I think I actually wimpered a bit... LOL

No, I don't have the VIN to the car... I know the question is going to come up :)

also, supposedly the story is the car was left outside, with the top down, not in a garage nor a carport FOR A YEAR!!!!

5. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
  6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I know nothing about the car, but that picture was clearly taken at Foreign Cars Italia in Greensboro. NC plate on the car, and that is their transporter on the right and foyer entrance to the building. Uggg.....

7. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Such a sweet looking car even in that condition, Nero over tan, great combo.

Quick wash and that should look like new.

:D

8. jdwheeler

jdwheeler Rookie

Nov 28, 2007
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    I'd love to know the story behind that.

Is it worth ringing the dealership?

9. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    That gate is rusted due to cat pee, not the salt air. Look at all he cat hair in that thing, plus all the foot prints. I doubt it was left exposed outdoors. Rain would have TOTALLY destroyed the interior, and it would have been cleaner on the outside. PLus, cats would not have used it as a home if it was out in the open.

Still, it's a crying shame....

10. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Cat or Cats probably thought the shift gate was the litter box..very sad:( Would love to know the story behind this one, someone needs to find out.

11. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Same here---Customers car that never paid a bill, maybe? If that car got into that kind of shape while at the dealer---BAD!!! Maybe it was brought to Foreign Cars in that condition? Anyone know someone at the dealer enough to call and ask about it????

12. AronAZ

AronAZ Karting

Jul 13, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    Except for the top down situation, my friend when through this with his 2004 Corvette - a low mileage, garage queen beauty he loved and treats like we do our F-cars. He took it in for routine service (like oil change) and GM had a TSB for the gas tank. Dealer inspected his tank and sure enough, it was leaking. His car joined 5 others already on their back lot. So there it sat, away from his nice clean garage and baked in the summer Arizona sun, monsoon rains, wind, dust storms, etc etc. Found out later, they didn't even put his sunshade in the window for him. About 2 months into the wait, the dealer gave into his nagging and supplied a car cover for his car. When I asked if they washed his car before putting in on, his heart just sank... he didn't think to ask. All told, his car rotted in the AZ elements about 6 months before he got it back.

It seems GM's supplier had a design/build flaw with the Vette gas tanks. So bad that they were de-certified as a supplier. GM had to redesign the tank, find a new supplier, manufacture them, and get them installed. The dealer wouldn't release his car because of the NHTSA recall laws. (There is also lots of hindsight as no one from GM or the dealer was honest with him about the wait when it first started.) I think he said there are ~20 Vette's out there in that dealer's back lot at one point. Typical GM fashion, no loaner car was supplied. But I think they gave him a $500 coupon towards the purchase of a new Chevrolet.

Personally, I've windows down on cars waiting in dealer service lots. It haunts me to think of what goes on when cars stay overnight (or longer) in dealer service....

13. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Holy crap. :(

The Nero Alleanza will be in mourning.

So, you need to get a cat to keep rats/mice away from your car storage area, and then a big dog to keep the cat away from your shift gate.

14. tactical

tactical Guest

Jan 23, 2008
    Was it parked in a residential area? Or a dealership? Is it parked on the public road? Or a compound? I am surprised that the trophy hunters have not picked it to bits if its on the road side no matter what area its in.
    Makes me sad to see this:(

15. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    About 9 months ago, I saw a TDF blue 355 Spider at the Lamborghini dealership in here in Atlanta with a car in similar shape. I truly had tears in my eyes looking at what had happened to that poor car. All tires were deflated and the thing looked absolutely pathetic. I asked for the story and one of the salespeople told me it belonged to someone who dropped it off for service (why at the Lambo dealership I have no idea) but never picked it up. We think the owner was some hip-hop guy who ended up going to jail after dropping off the car. I wanted to buy it from them but they told me they couldn't sell it to me though it had been sitting there for over six months.
    Sad, real sad.

16. 355 Fixer-uper

355 Fixer-uper Karting

Jul 27, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Is it for sale?

17. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Sad....................

18. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Nice litter box :(

Good luck EVER getting the smell out!

I love my cats but you do not want them pissing on your stuff.

19. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I had a nice chat with the Foreign Cars Italia team this weekend at a track event. The truth about that F355 is almost funnier than the pictures! One little tidbit that I will share: She fired right up on the first turn of the key (after battery charging).

20. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Yep, that is a typical 355, starts first time every time. :D

Do you know if they are cleaning it up for a customer? Or has it been relocated?

21. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    +1??

22. tactical

tactical Guest

Jan 23, 2008
    So why is it a secret?

23. jdwheeler

jdwheeler Rookie

Nov 28, 2007
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Any update?

24. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    #24 jetfixr, May 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. Infinity_Racer

Infinity_Racer Karting

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Fl.
    Full Name:
    Gus B
    why is there cat hair in the shift gate???