So we wanted to build a 911 RS........ | FerrariChat

So we wanted to build a 911 RS........

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Kds, May 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#1 Kds, May 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. WRXracer112

WRXracer112 Karting

Jan 6, 2005
    Richmond Va
    Full Name:
    Gray
    That is one of the most beautifully done Porsche's I have ever seen, beautiful work!

3. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    +1

You wanted to build an RS...and you certainly succeeded!!! Congrats!!! I'd take that over most of the cars built today.

Details please!! (Year of the car, etc..)

4. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    WOW! That is GORGEOUS! Where are you going to race/drive it? What class would it compete in???

I bet once that bad boy is tuned in you will hardly be able to hold on to it! AWESOME!!!

James
    Austin, TX

5. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    A bit of an odd comment, but your interior looks awesome! I'm assuming it isn't too far from stock right?

6. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    1973 RS, My favorite. Man thats so beautiful, I would have done the White/Red. But I know thats what everyone does.
    I LOVE that car.

7. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Yummy, that is sweet!!!

8. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#9 Kds, May 31, 2008
  9. BrianZuk

BrianZuk F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2007
    NorCal (Bay Area)
    Full Name:
    BrianZuk
    Awesome Work!

10. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #11 Sfumato, Jun 1, 2008
    Motor looks nice. Rear end looks like a 72-73 RS, front looks like a 74 RS. Never made an M471-2 like this. Customer wish? Since you started with a 75, I assume you had to do the rear fenders anyway, so you did bumper valance as well? Paul Stephens does a nice 72-73 front bumper/horn grilles with inserts for valance to meet headlight area. Mirror is 74 3.0RS type, rear fog is 74-75 IIRC, 2.7's never ran them. Here's pic of one of Paul's cars he's done w 72-73 M471-2 front bumper and mirror. Only tell is side turn indicator and wheels. He's done a couple 3.5's and a few 3.8's. Very evil cars.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#12 Kds, Jun 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
    Correct Lee.

There is a number of reasons for that, which we had to balance out when contemplating this thing......the customers budget and desires being foremost in the plan obviously.

The large oil cooler we needed to use would not fit in the early nose........and today, as you know, the main problem is that the early cars, even total junkers, are now 2-3 + times the price we paid for this rust free 1975 bodyshell which happened to be sitting here in Calgary. The costs of reconditioning an early car to make the bodyshell rust free and perfect would have also added to the overall price, as would the fitting of different fenders, hood and front spoiler to the 1975 shell, if we went that route. The estimated $20K we saved but doing it this way went into other things.

FWIW however, I do have a picture if a truckload of 1974 Porsche 911's from the factory that are exactly like this car......it was a one off deal (20 examples)......I can post it Monday as I am at home today and don't have a scanner here. But, truth is, that wasn't the intention, to be 100% absolutely historically correct. 95% would suffice. You'll also notice the repro seats are from the ST model, not the RS, as they are more comfortable and offer significantly more lateral support.

Mojo....

White/Red is my choice also.

Fastback33.....

All the interior parts repro items of OEM parts except for the aluminum Rennline stuff. We used the later door panels however, as they are cleaner and nicer than the correct early ones......and you'll notice my comment about the seats above.

I've got more pics I will post Monday as well.

12. GarnetRedCoupe

GarnetRedCoupe Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Steve
    WOW! What an amazing looking car, I would love to hear it at full song!!

What transmission did you use?

13. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    what components came from Mahle?

14. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#15 Kds, Jun 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
    We used the original 915 transmission, but it was completely redone inside with stronger bits and a Quaife LSD......hooked up to the a WEVO shifter assembly. The sound is just like the soundtrack to Le Mans......spine tingling.

The lightweight 3.5 piston and cylinder set was from Mahle (we used a 3.2 case and crank)......and the rods were from Carrillo. The Jerry Woods valvetrain and Porsche cams are good to 8,500.......but we left it at 7,500 for some longevity and the returns of the extra RPM versus everything else weren't worth it.

15. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Fantastic. What a car! Brakes and suspension? Lucky customer. Love the colour

16. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Neat project.
    The best of the naturally aspirated Porsches.

17. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Hahahahah It looks like you have a Grant Products steering wheel on it! LOL

Nice, classic, sharp car. I love the wheels, interior, colours, body style. It couldn't have happened to a nicer car.

18. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Gorgeous! Wow... just wow!

19. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #20 Sfumato, Jun 1, 2008
    Love to see the pics of the 74 RS 3.0 front/72-73 2.8 rear. Vin range of those 91136-46 cars?

I've driven a couple M471's, was driven in a RS H in '72-'73. 75 Turbo is quite dull after that. Ludvigsen doesn't mention the hybrids either. They changed front and rear shell in 74, and as you said, front end is very different.

For 6 figures and street driving, I'd have put the pseudo 36 hood/bumper/lights on. Probably less than a few grand, it's all plastic, no need to change fenders either. If you can make a G+ series look like an original by swapping hood, signals, valence (lots of room for cooler), and small insert while keeping zinc body, why not? .The previous pic is a 78 SC shell, which is pretty similar to the 75, and the bumper is actually bigger than the stocker with the filler panels on the sides. Even has room for big cooler and spare. Why did he keep spare, you could have put big tank or fuel cell in there, put fiberglass cast of stock big tank over it-fake is fake.

Seats and door panels pretty irrelevant for a driver repop. Pre-zinc bodies are dust by now, or too nice to cut up

Never to late to learn more about the 36/46/56 cars. I was unaware of a series of 20. The 3.0 RSR prototypes were only 8. Iroc cars were 15, had RSR 3.0 trim f/r. The 2 Safaris, both with 36 bodies. I checked with the slide-valve guys, they don't know about these other cars either.

Here's pics of a few. The RSR protos still had F-series horn grilles/lights. Aero was pretty amusing. All were about the same, all had front flares too. I really like the 36/46/56 cars. PM me if you don't want to post the pics, I'd really love to know the details.

20. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#21 Kds, Jun 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
    Lee....

My mistake......the cars in the pic in the magazine I have are on a trailer, and the pic was shot from an angle, so I couldn't really make out the 74+ impact bumpers on the rear until I enlarged it on Photoshop.....they have the IROC front bumper and rear ducktails (as shipped from Porsche, these were the IROC cars fresh off the boat apparently).......this was just before the flat rubberless first generation whale tails were put on them for the IROC race series. I wanted my client to do the RSR as well....but he preferred this look. Too bad. Thanks for the Martini pics....it's my favorite race team of all time. I just bought the OEM Porsche limited edition 1/43 Martini metal car set.

DM18......

The car was a "Carrera" therefore it has a larger front calipers and rotors than the standard 911 in 1975. We added cross drilled and vented rotors and Pagid pads all around. The torsion bars are 29MM front and 32MM rear along with Bilstein HD shocks and 930 F+R sway bars. It is streetable and quite comfortable actually. Much better than a 997 with the PASM set to the sport mode IMHO.

Neil....

HAHA !!! Good one........

21. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    outstanding work, its looks great in the pics, and must be a blast to hear and drive!

22. YellowbirdRS

YellowbirdRS Formula 3

Nov 9, 2005
    DFW/RGV/MX
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    #23 YellowbirdRS, Oct 4, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
    outstanding car well done.

just 1 think you forgot to delete the sunroof ;) and I probably prefer the original 73 Recaro sport seats over the olds shells my .02

23. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

nice car kds. as you remember, my friend did a similar project. they are very expensive but very rewarding when complete.

i am not crazy about the front bumper choice but it looks to be a very thoughtful build!!!!

pcb

24. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Super nice.

Now that you've done this car and have the connections with the vendors and shops, are you going to put it up on your site as a service?