Best deal for Rolex overhaul? | FerrariChat

Best deal for Rolex overhaul?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Husker, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    My wife has a stainless and gold Rolex that doesn't keep the best time anymore, and could use polishing, etc. They want $500 at the local Rolex dealer to go through the thing. Is that a little pricey? Is there anyone out there you guys recommend for this?

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Have you tried posting in the "Watches" section?

3. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Depending on make and model, $500 could be about right.

4. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would agree. That's right in line with prices that I've been quoted.

5. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    10+ years ago, I paid $350 to have my wife's watch repaired/reconditioned at the Dallas Rolex HQ/service center, so $500 doesn't sound out of line.

They did a great job, returned the watch in a nice box with documentation. It's run perfect ever since.

6. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    In 04’, I was quoted $ 265.00 over the phone by a reputable guy in Kirkland (Seattle area).
    When I showed up he said “I’m sorry, it will be $ 390.00 +/-". He explained some differences
    about the various models to justify his position. I didn’t tell him it was a Pres., as I didn’t
    think it mattered. It was about $ 450 total but he did a fantastic job. I’m about due again.
    They should be serviced every 4-5 years.. I’ve had this one for 14 years now. Had a Pres. for
    4 years prior to this one but sold it for startup capitol and replaced it within two years.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    IW Marks in Houston is the official Rolex dealer, you could check with them........there are also numerous independents also around the Galleria if you want to shop the cost......

8. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Good question, Husker. I'm about due again too.

I bought my gold/ss watch in 1982 and this will be my 3rd cleaning coming up. So, I guess I'm averaging 8 years or so between cleanings. Mine starts to get worse and worse on keeping accurate time as it gets closer to cleaning time. Right now my watch really needs a cleaning and will keep accurate time for only about a 12 hour stretch, so every morning I have to adjust it forward a bit.

I think I paid around $350 for the cleaning service about 8 years ago, so $500 these days sounds about right. The Rolex dealers must send them off to some central cleaning vendor as I'm pretty sure they don't do it themselves. Anyone know where they send them to be cleaned?

As long as it was an official vendor with a good reputation and insured shipping, I'd be okay with sending it out myself. Otherwise, I'll just pay the piper and have the piece of mind that comes with doing it through the local dealer.

9. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    I was told by the local Rolex dealer that the $500 is for both service (cleaning and lubricating the watch) and refurbishing the bracelet. Rolex has three (?) centers in the US that do the work in house. At least, that is according to Rolex Dallas when I called them. Oh, on a side note, they will NOT service any Rolex that has any of the "wrong" parts on it. That includes genuine Rolex parts that are not authorized for that watch. So, if you put a different Rolex band on (say a Sub band on a Yachtmaster) your watch they want the original one back before service. Very strange...

10. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
  11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've had mine for about 20 years, and I find that every 5-6 years it needs it. $500 doesn't seem out of line. I try to go to a fairly large store on the theory that if they lose it or mess it up, they'll stand behind it. Unfortunately, Meier & Frank, where I used to take it, is now Macy's and doesn't do watch service any more.

12. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    350-500 is OK, if the bezel is really bad......

13. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I have a Swatch...

14. rllucero

rllucero Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2006
    Santa Fe/San Diego
    Full Name:
    richontravel
    #14 rllucero, Jun 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
    I got a quote from our local Rolex dealer to have my Daytona cleaned up and I was told it would cost $500. I have it done every 5 years. They send it to either Dallas or New York (my case Dallas). I had a Submariner done for a bit less but that was a few years ago. That watch will look like new when it comes back, you won't even recognize it. I would never trust anybody but Rolex to take apart my watches!

15. rllucero

rllucero Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2006
    Santa Fe/San Diego
    Full Name:
    richontravel
    #15 rllucero, Jun 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
    Come on Robbie, spring for a Rolex you won't regret it! The cost for a new Rolex and a major service for a 355 is about the same $$.

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Me too, tons of 'em....they all need batteries though....I just look at my cellphone these days, for the time.....LOL!

17. Agent_355

Agent_355 Karting

May 13, 2007
    Richmond Hill, Ont
    I have a SS Explorer II that I had serviced about 5 years ago because of an issue with the crown. $600 got me a service, polish/refurbish, new crown, and a new bezel. It was done in house at one of the 2 big Rolex dealers in Toronto. Do you guys get your watches serviced regularly as a preventative measure? I have 3 automatics and make sure to rotate wearing them or wind them at least every 2 weeks and have never had a problem. The Rolex is my oldest at approx 14 years old and I only had it serviced because of the crown problem, it was still running accurate and strong. I have also heard good and bad about watch winders.

18. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
  19. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Actually, you can change the band as that is considered user changeable. All other parts need to be original (or proper OEM) or they will be changed out during service at cost. If the watch is a heavy Frankenwatch (ie a converted SS to a two-tone) they wont send it to Rolex but may fix it locally.

Anyway, $500 is spot on.

Best,
    dsd

20. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    I usually get it done by the dealer who sold my GMT for $ 400 so $ 500 does not seem too out of line.

21. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Moved from [Silver Subscribed] to [Chrono Chronics, Bling & Threads]

Like sands through the hourglass, these are the thread moves of our lives.

22. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    JD Watchworks in San Francisco. In business for nearly 30 years. Ultra-reputable + great work. My guess is less than $250.

23. TravisJ

TravisJ Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Travis
    +1

You can just send your watch directly to the Rolex Service Center and cut out the middle man. When the RSC gets the watch in and inspected, they will call you with an estimate based on the parts/work needed. The watch will come back looking and running like new.

24. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    Dallas Rolex quoted me $500.

25. scotsman

scotsman Rookie

Apr 10, 2004
    Portland, Or.
    Our shop charges 350-400 for a full OHL. No matter what just make sure you trust the shop, have seen some pretty sad work.