Ferrari Clutch Repair- NorCal | FerrariChat

Ferrari Clutch Repair- NorCal

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by bizz, Jun 23, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bizz

bizz Formula Junior

May 26, 2008
    Redwood City, CA
    Full Name:
    joe B
    I just got a "ballpark" estimate of $XXXX from Silicon Valley Ferrari for a clutch repair.

Here's a link to the story, and what's unfolded.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202451

Since there's some shared liability, I owe it to the other party to get competitive quotes for repair.

Any suggestions on good independent shops in the bay area?

Car is a 1999 360 Modena, manual trans with 22K miles on it. Thanks in advance!

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Why the $xxxx? Why not post the 'ballpark' number?

3. bizz

bizz Formula Junior

May 26, 2008
    Redwood City, CA
    Full Name:
    joe B
    my next quote might very well be $XXXX minus $1. :) If it was me on the hook, I probably would just post it up but it's not just *my* penny.

4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Oh yea, forgot to answer your question. I have had some good work done by Silicon Valley Auto Group in Los Gatos. Flavio definitely knows his stuff.

Another good mechanic is Brian Crall in San Ramon. He is always swamped but he is great.

5. 360Grigiotitanio

360Grigiotitanio Formula Junior

May 17, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Brian is great and the other place to go. He will be like 15% - 20% less expensive, maybe.

6. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    Tony Abdulmassih of T&R 76 in San Francisco (California @ Arguello). Highly educated with a masters in mechanical engineering from U Mass. Uses only OEM parts. Meticulous. Cares about what he does. Goes by the book. Fellow Ferrari owner + FCA member. Has experience with 308, 360, 456, 575 etc ...

Not the cheapest ... but ranks with the best.

7. bizz

bizz Formula Junior

May 26, 2008
    Redwood City, CA
    Full Name:
    joe B
    I'll give all of the recommendations a call. It's not a concours sample, and I'm not hyper-ridiculous about my car but I do want solid work. I just don't want to have to do anything twice.
    The quote from the dealer is off the charts.

8. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    Add 1 more vote for Brian Crall in San Ramon. Excellent work and super service. Plus a nice guy.

9. bizz

bizz Formula Junior

May 26, 2008
    Redwood City, CA
    Full Name:
    joe B
    I spoke to Crall- this guy is good, he knows his stuff.

My insurance company is involved at this point, and they want a dealership to perform the tear-down and inspection on the car. I had Crall call USAA to see if it would be okay, but haven't heard back from them.

Folks, if you are thinking about getting stereo work done STAY OFF OF VETERAN'S BLVD.

10. MikeandJen

MikeandJen Rookie

Feb 27, 2007
    Napa and Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Mike and Jen
    I wouldnt take my car anywhere else. Btian gained our respect the very first time he worked on our 2002 F360. Superb job, superb shop and great employees who attend to every detail.

Mike and Cheryl

11. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    If they want a dealer, then your only other local choice is Ferrari of SF in San Rafael. Doubtful that there will be a significant difference in labor rates. You might want to call them to get an estimate. Good luck getting your car back before the end of summer at either place.

12. david1175

david1175 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    in the doghouse
    Full Name:
    David
    I would get a quote from Ricambi on the clutch kit FIRST, you should be able to save some serious $, and it will be OEM. THEN get a quote on the labor hour rate, Just my $.02

13. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
    How did it turn out? I mean the clutch not the dealing with Pacific Stereo and Abdul

14. stradalerossa

stradalerossa Rookie

Aug 12, 2008
    I just visited Rossa Motors in Berkeley. Great shop, friend of mine knows personally the chief mechanic, Giuseppe, who worked at FoSF shop. They just opened few months ago. New, clean, highly recommended. It is next to Patrick Ottis shop. I just saw their web site www.rossamotors.com.

15. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Juan at Grand Prix Motors in Campbell (Kennedy St.) is great. Brian Crall rocks as well.

16. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
    While this is the least expensive means to your end, I always let the installation tech (be it Crall or Juan or whoever) purchase them and install them. They deal with any issues on parts that arrive and I accept that they mark up prices. For a good shop to succeed, they must be profitable and I gladly contribute to keep them in business as I feel they are that valuable to the service industry pool.

Then again, you didn't exactly say you advocate buying parts separately and delivering them to the tech for him to install.

17. rcwhiting

rcwhiting Rookie

Oct 11, 2007
    Almaden Valley
    Full Name:
    Randy Whiting
    check with Juan at Grand Prix motors in Campbell. Good work, compettitive prices, lots of satisfied Ferrari customers.

18. Viperracer

Viperracer Rookie

Nov 19, 2006
    Call up Rossa Motors in berkeley bet they can do a better quality job then anyone in the bay area and they have a fast turn around time my 360 was delivered back on time from its 30k I dropped it off monday morning and had it back weds night and it ran better than the day I bought it. My cams were off 4 degrees from the factory they fixed it and now it feels like it has 30 more horsepower ......510-525-5030

19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Sorry if I have it wrong but I think this post is marketing not an honest post. New user, no profile, 2 posts, both pushing the same shop. Feel free to prove me wrong and I will eat my crow.

20. tzucc

tzucc Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2003
    another vote for Juan at Gran Prix Motors... he's been taking care of my 246gt for 5 years.

21. winston

winston Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    foothills
    Full Name:
    don
    Ferrari parts are extremely expensive. Brian Crall is honest, very competent, and very nice. You will be happy with the high quality of his staff and their work.
    Our 456 won't go anywhere else for work.
    Winston, Nigel, Don

22. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
    Don Treadwell?
    Hi!

23. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca
    Skidkid......I can't speak for the other two poster's but I would recommend Giuseppe at Rossa Motors in a heartbeat. He has worked on my car at FoSF and works on a good friends Dino and his XJ220 as well.

Rossa Motors may be relatively new but Giuseppe is well known in the bay area as an "Ace wrenchman" and a stand up guy!

24. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Good to know. We definitely need more good qualified independent mechanics.

Besides my observations it is interesting that Viperracer disappeared after I called his post out. So, I will stand with the post being marketing BUT that does not mean that Giuseppe isn't the real deal. Your recommendation for Rossa Motors adds a lot of credibility. Do they have an SD2/SD3?

25. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca

Yes they have a SD2 onsite and have access to a SD3 for the newer cars.