Best pre-Ferrai car? | FerrariChat

Best pre-Ferrai car?

Discussion in '308/328' started by mp3_e46, Jul 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mp3_e46

mp3_e46 Rookie

Mar 4, 2008
    #1 mp3_e46, Jul 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
    Long time lurker, but first post here.

Probably my mind is already made up but I am planning on obtaining a 'cheap' 328/ maybe 308 in a year or two and know that it will take a lot time and effort to get a reliable car. Fixing things to is fun to me though :) Bit of background: I am 37 in IT and financially doing ok, but recently 'flipped the bird' to my Investment Banking job near NYC and am returning to the Atlanta 'burbs soon - the ATL salary is under half a good year in IB but life is better there - no it is a _lot_ better there!

The question is what should I own before the 328? I've had six new BMWs in a row so far which might be a tad different than a 70s design Ferrari ;) Right now I am angling towards a used Miata with say 70k->100K miles. They are peanuts (~$7K) and I plan to buy and rebuild a used engine, and respray the Miata yellow (Ferrari yellow to get a handle on the paint?) which are the highest dollar items I believe a 'cheap' Ferrari will need. The idea is to discover if I have the stomach to buy a $25K Ferrari and can put the work into it to make it reliable. I did respray a Landrover about ten years and it came out ok so I think I can do this.. especially now with all the help that is available online

Also I am also tempted by a 348 but they look in a different league DIY wise.

2. Papa Duck

Papa Duck Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Carl
    I gather your purchase won't be your primary vehicle, so my recommendation is to find a FIAT 124 spyder. I learned on one when I turned it into a race care back in1972. If you look under the hood you will basically find 1/2 of a 308 engine. The heads are different, but use the same shims, etc. as a 308 2v, and the belt system is the same with the exception of having only one side. It probably will teach you how the get something reliable. I was lucky with mine, but a lot were not too well taken care of and the dealer network didn't know how to fix them either. I would love to get mine back to play with.

3. 4RE-MAN

4RE-MAN Karting

Oct 10, 2005
    W.PALM BEACH, FL.
    Full Name:
    EDDIE JELLEY
    I 've had 5 vettes, a mid engined s/b Gt40 and a few Porsches. My 1985 Carrera Cabriolet was an awesome car and was a great transition to my 308gtsi
    that I've had for two weeks and have driven 600 miles so far.................I was expecting the 308 to feel old and dated, and was pleasantly surprised
    to finally drive one. It handles silky smoothe and is really comfortable. Unlike Mr. Selleck, I'm only 5"6. I think that a mid 80's 911 is the way to go- They are not too expensive and have a very decent resale.
    Just my 2cents!

4. alfabender

alfabender Rookie

Sep 13, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Doug Bender
    Alfa Romeo GTV. A good one is about $15K. Parts easily available. Poor man's Ferrari. In fact I am having trouble deciding between another GTV (I had one before) and a 308 GT4.

5. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau

that is exactly want to add to the garage. a gtv,,,,,, mmmmmmmmmmm drool

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Get a 91 to 94 Alfa Spyder in good shape. Beautiful, sexy, fairly reliable (Bosch injection), great working convertible top, parts can still be had (although interior pieces are hard to get) and most people think it costs twice what you paid for it. I bought one new in 91 and drove it for 150K miles. Yes, I had some problems but nothing out of the ordinary in almost any car driven that much. Not the fastest car in the world but a lot of fun for sure. I changed my own oil, replaced my own pads, replaced my own coolant, did my own tune ups, etc. A clutch is pretty straight forward (even your local AAMCO will do it for you). So, it's a good exposure to living with an Italian car.

If you can survive the issues of owning an Alfa, you can survive issues of owning a Ferrari. The only real difference is the damage done to your pocketbook.

With all due respect, I'm not crazy about Fiat 124 spiders. If you get one, my suggestion is stay away from the 2 liter cars as the diffs break a lot at about 60 K miles. You won't find any more cheap used difs sitting in the wrecking yards anymore. The idea of racing one on a track is pretty cool idea though. It's about the cheapest way to go racing "italian".

If you want to be a true glutton for punishment, there is the Fiat X-1/9. Now, if you can own one of those and still end up liking Italian cars, you are really hardcore (I had one by the way). Yes, I am hardcore. That car WILL test your patience. But, hey... for $1500 bucks for a good used one, what do you want? It's almost disposable.

Also, beware of "cheap" 308's. A lot of times you're much better off finding a good but more expensive one than going cheap and finding out all sorts of problems/headaches. The words "Cheap" and "Ferrari" don't usually mix together well.

Good luck in your search!

7. Matt308

Matt308 Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2004
    CO
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Anything you buy will take you farther financially from the 308/328 you want. Just wait and buy the Ferrari when you can. If you want to know what it feels like to own one, you'll just have to own one. (if you really want a taste of what it's like, light your wallet on fire. just kidding)

Read all about the cars here on F-chat. Go see as many cars as you can while your saving - that way when the shopping gets serious, you know more what to look for. Join the Ferrari Club of America and go hang out with the owners - ask lots of questions. Good luck!

8. carguywalt

carguywalt Rookie

Jan 24, 2006
    New Berlin WI.
    Full Name:
    Walter
    My vote is for an Alfa Romeo. I had a 72 Spider and an 86 GTV6 before purchasing my 328 GTS. I sold the GTV6 to get the Ferrari and still have the Spider. My only regret is selling the GTV6.

9. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    When I read the original post four cars popped into my head immediately and they have all been listed: Fiat X1/9 and Spider, Alfa Spider and GTV. The Italians do things the Italian way, the similarity between these cars and Ferrari is unmistakable. The driving position, the sounds the car makes, the feel of the car, they are very much in the same family.

10. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    #10 desire308, Jul 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I would consider either a Posrche 994 Turbo [951] or a 944 S2 16V. Both of these are outstanding cars as a daily driver and a great car for those windy roads...it's all about balance. You can also work on these and it's a great primer for a 308 or 328. I had three and still consider them the very best bang for your buck. You can get a great example for about 8-10K and as long as it has a good service history you will have a blast. If you insist on a top down car the S2 Cabriolet is a good choice too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. foxmul

foxmul Karting

Mar 14, 2008
    Millington, NJ
    Full Name:
    Joseph Molino
    #11 foxmul, Jul 2, 2008
    Try a Delorean. That was my poor man's Ferrari. You can get a great one for $15,000. Actually I am selling mine for $20,000. Easy to work on, lots of parts at delorean.com.

12. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Many years ago, I had a '61 Alfa Giulietta coupe...Italian to the very atoms.

However, about 30 years elapsed between it and my first Ferrari.

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  14. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    2000 GTV
    Learn what a good gear change can be.

15. fastjon

fastjon Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    #15 fastjon, Jul 2, 2008
    3rd vote for a fiat first. some 308 parts are interchangable (like rear view mirrors, etc.) bust most important is that after a fiat, a ferrari will feel as reliable as...anything. The fiat is also cool and fun to drive. Fiat aka the poor mans alfa is the best start, then leap frog to the ferrari. Alfa is good, but maybe too good.

16. JakeTrading

JakeTrading Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2001
    Alfa Romeo GTV6 and/or Fiat X1/9.

Just be careful of rust.

17. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    #17 eulk328, Jul 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
    Anything Italian from that era (along with a reliable daily driver ;-)

18. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    FIAT = Fix it again, Tony.

Well, if you like spending your life under the hood instead of driving.

19. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
  20. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    very earily 1971 240 Z
    With an E31 head, this head has Big valves and high comp.
    , or get a 234 head from a japanese Fairlady 240Z

Edwardo

21. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
  22. shawxhurst

shawxhurst Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Steve Hawxhurst
    Matt has it right. Why fool with something else if your focus is to own a Ferrari? Learn all you can, look at lots of cars and don't worry about the "ones that got away" because you wern't ready to buy. There will still be lots to choose from when the time comes. I bought the third car I looked at and now I know it should have been the 30th. I'm not at all unhappy with my car (85QV) but I realize now that it being pretty good was more dumb luck than smarts on my part. At the same time, when you are ready you shouldn't get paralyzed by all of the dire warnings - these are just cars, great cars to be sure and an opportunity to be part of a legend that no other car can offer, but still just cars that can deliver pleasure and pain in equal measure. Life is short and owning a Ferrari is a "must do" for some of us whatever the outcome.

23. Rv5

Rv5 Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ross V
    +1
    absolutely love the 944/951. My father bought a new 951 in 86 when i was just a kid and kept it for 10 years. i loved that car so much, and in very large part attribute my car fanatiscm to it.

24. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I sort of disagree. The parts costs on the Fiats and Alfas are much lower, easier to find and mostly available. You'll be less afraid to dig into stuff because when you break a Fiat part it is tens of dollars and when you break a Ferrari part it is hundreds of dollars. And you'll get used to mail ordering parts. And the OP wants to fix up a Ferrari. Where does he practice fixing up cranky exotic Italian cars? On a Porsche or a Nissan? I don't think so. And an X1/9 will also get you ready for working on an engine that you can't hardly reach any parts on crammed in a very small space in the middle of the car.

Get an Alfa or Fiat to build confidence and then get a Ferrari. It's not the ability or experience you're really gaining, it's the confidence to dig in.

25. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    Well...I guess I cut my teeth on a 914 so I know how "cranky" things can get ;) Just changing the plugs on the front bank of a 308 is a challenge.