New Ferrari 'P' book | FerrariChat

New Ferrari 'P' book

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by P4Replica, Jun 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Has anybody yet seen (or reviewed) the new book:

Scarlet Passion: Ferrari’s Famed Sports Prototypes and Competion Sports Cars, 1963-73 by Anthony Pritchard ?
    I've got a few details: 256 pages; 240 B&W and colour photographs. ISBN is 1-85960-872-8 and it's due to be published by Haynes – Release date: June 2004. Price is quoted at £35.00.

The 'spiel' in a small Haynes advert in this month's Classic & SportsCar (July 2004) reads as follows:

"This beautifully illustrated book provides a detailed account of the most charismatic period of Ferrari sports car racing from 1963 to 1973. A fascinating insight into Maranello's classic battles against Porsche, Ford, Alfa Romeo and Matra, revealing how the thinking of Enzo Ferrari and his engineers led to the creation of some of the most stunning sports racing cars of all time".

Must be referring to the 'P4' then ....

2. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
  3. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    ...kept looking and found a more wordy review... some of its a repeat but theres a 'content' paragraph...

Description / general overview :
    This book is a detailed account of the most charismatic period of Ferrari sports car racing, from the introduction of Prototype racing for 1963 to the withdrawal of Maranello from two-seater racing at the end of 1973 to concentrate on Formula 1. The great sports racing cars of this era have a strong enthusiast following, particularly those of the Prancing Horse, which was competing primarily against the Ford GT40 and the Porsche 917.

Contents:

The years 1964-67 when Ford challenged the supremacy of Ferrari, at Le Mans in particular
    - Battling with Porsche from 1969 to the end of 1971 and coming out worse
    - The switch to 3-litre sports car racing for 1972 and Ferrari's domination of the category against opposition from Matra and Alfa Romeo
    - Ferrari's defeat by the French V12s in 1973 and Maranello's withdrawal from this class of racing
    - The thinking of Enzo Ferrari and his engineers
    - The relationships of private owners and the factory
    - Interviews with owners and entrants, plus correspondence with Ferrari
    - Specifications, works drivers, and international race results.

GT

4. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Thanks, Grant.
    In fact, I was going to phone Haynes, tomorrow, and order my copy, anyway. If they've got it in stock, I might even drive down there to pick it up (my local branch of MotorBooks closed a couple of years ago) and Haynes is only about a 40 minutes drive from me. Besides - it'll prevent my copy getting lost or damaged in the mail.

PS - Nice initials GT (there's a joke there somewhere - I'm PS)

5. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Only £24.50 on Amazon.co.uk. But they clearly don't have it in stock yet.

6. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    anyone any opinions yet?
    Bought a copy yesterday - interesting for background information but I've already found some factual errors, and I've only looked through it once.
    p37 - says piper's GTO looks strange because of the covered head-lights - nothing about the chopped/lowered roofline then?
    p58 - says that 250LMB #26 was green - wrong! - it was red
    p267 - P3 + P4 histories - 0846 history wrong - doesn't credit the Daytona 24hr win to any car - kind of like one of the most memorable P4 wins but not listed - big oversight
    The problem is that some people will read this, regard it as accurate, and quote it in FChat in 10yrs time -
    Nathan

7. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    Saw this book a few weeks ago and had a quick scan through the contents. It is quite an extensive overview of all Ferrari prototype racing in the sixties up to early seventies.

But for me there was nothing new, it is all there in earlier books like "Ferrari 312 & 512 Sports Racing Cars", by Ian Bamsey or "Ferrari P 1961 - 1973" by Piero Casucci. I would have bought it if contained a lot of technical information, but unfortunately it doesn't.

8. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    Sorry Nathan, forgot to mention your book as well....

9. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Was just thumbing through Chaters’ Winter 2004/5 catalogue and came across this:
    Ferrari Prototype Era – 1962-1973 in photographs by Alan Henry
    Published by David Bull Publishing. Price is quoted at £39.99 ($79.95 in U.S.)
    "Beginning with the first Ferrari mid-engined prototype, the 246SP, and carrying through to the 512’s and mighty 312PB’s this beautiful photographic book recounts an epic period in motor racing of indomitable cars and superb drivers. 172 Pages; 41 B&W and 95 colour photos." ….

See also: http://www.motorsportcollector.com/FerrariPrototype.html

Has anybody seen or bought a copy yet ?

10. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hello,

this isn't off-topic, but allow me to begin as follows:

does anyone know the book 'Porsche 917 - the winning formula' by Peter Morgan ?
    I ask because I look after something comparable about the Ferrari P 4 / 412 or 512 S / M.
    Something which in depth describes the background, the development, the technical aspects and details. For racing history there are so many books, like the before mentioned by Alan Henry and Anthony Pritchard but after having overfilled my shelf with again and again the same history reports I look for something more thorough.

The Porsche book mentioned above is my reference. Something like that about the legendary Ferrari prototypes would be great.

Any hints for me ?

Best Regards

Martin

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    David Bull Publishing is top flight............