Dangers of Older Tires | FerrariChat

Dangers of Older Tires

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by BillyD, Jul 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
  2. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Caught this when it aired the other week (or maybe it was online...?) - good to know this stuff.

3. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Bill,

Valuable stuff...thanks for posting...!

Mike in Kuwait

4. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    So...what is the scientific data that gives a realistic cut off date? It would be helpful to know that this isn't just random tread sepperation. I know tires dry rot, but under what condtions. The report just says it happens, but a lot of the incidents had 10+ year old tires as well.

5. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Scientific data against what climate?

There's a point where the tires become dangerous due to rot.

But, for performance tires, there's a point where the tires become dangerous because they no longer have the grip you expect.

6. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    This is good info. FWIW, I purchased new Kumhos from the Tire Rack for my Toyota Tacoma. Checked date after receiving them, and they were only 6mo old. But would be worth verifying all suppliers' policy on age before putting your money down.

7. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    I just got an ad with that link. What was the 'danger' or risk. Was it supported with any data?

8. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    So I guess old timing belts really are dangerous, no matter the mileage! I'm not totally sure that tires are as dangerous as that suggests though, just my opinion. Surely the way they're stored before they're sold has some impact on their integrity, not?

9. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    Like with most things, you need to take these "news" stories with a grain of salt. I have not been able to track down and real data that supports this theory. You alos need to take items with a grain of salt when supported by trial attorneys and their consultants who are looking for new clients.

10. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    I would tend to agree. I had a 944 last year with older Goodyears on it, not only were they noisey...but you could see the dry rot starting to appear. I changed them right away and it made a BIG difference.

I tend to think the report is a little hyped and the events too random.

11. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    I noticed the cars that had the worst incidents were mostly SUVs, they can be a handfull when a tire goes at most speeds.