360 headlight cleaning | FerrariChat

360 headlight cleaning

Discussion in '360/430' started by billwann, Jul 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    I posted a thread on how to remove the cover of 360 headlights in the tech section so that they could be painted a diffrent color .
    This got me to thinking of how to clean them without talking them apart . I tested my idea on a set of lights from a friends car and the results were perfect . It took about 3 hours but they came out nice and clear without disturbing the seal between the two half's . If anyone is interested Pm and I can help you get lights clear again .

2. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    I'm sure that many people would be interested in this, why not post your findings here in this thread? Best.

3. boraville

boraville Formula Junior

May 7, 2008
    Livingston, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bora Sultan
    I would definatley be interested in hearing how you were able to clean the inside of the leadlight lenses.

regards

Bora

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
  5. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    Well seeing how most people said it was impossible to take them apart , cleaning them was simple .
    I would never got at it with a stick though . Could scratch the lens to easy . What I did was use Hot Deionized water to first rinse them , then I put them in an ultrasonic cleaner with a bit of acid . Iam not going to say what kind because i don't want to get blamed for someone hurting them selves . Then after an hour in the ultrasonic cleaner I rinsed them again with Di water for about ten minutes . To remove all of the water from the unit I but it in a high vaccume chamber . When you draw a vacuum the water will boil away . The only problem is that this isnt something you could do without the right equipment . Idnt take any pictures while doing . I dodnt think it was a big deal . Ill try and post some .

6. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Nope, most folks don't have access to this equipment......but YOU do, and may want to set something up. ;)

7. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I never thought of submersing them, or ionic treatment. That sounds like it could work. I'd really like to see the results if you could post with the lights on.

In hindsight, I would have loved to try something like that. I anxiously await your pics.

8. Rubino

Rubino Formula Junior

May 24, 2005
    Charlotte Area
    Full Name:
    Bob Curtis
    I smell a business opportunity, Sounds like a proper fix.

9. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    Sorry I didnt come to this sooner Brokenarrow , I could have saved you a few bucks . If anyone wants to send me a headlight ill clean one to show everyone that it can be done . Hopefully its a real nasty dirty one . I have also came across some polypropylene filters that would be good to put on the vent tube to stop this from happing again . Ill post a link once i find out if that fit .

10. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    I'm going to be out of town most of august (good time to have the car down). I may take you up on the offer if someone doesn't beat me to it.

11. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I still have my old headlights; functional and seriously stained. I am really excited for those who still have theirs, but let me warn you, getting them out is very difficult. The adjustment screws are EXTREMELY vulnerable to being bumped and broken. They stick out and are made of a very hard plastic making them easy to crack into many pieces. I estimate 50% will be broken during removal or installation. CAREFUL!

12. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    That's why I machined new ones from aluminum. ;)

13. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    You have got to be kidding me?! Please do share....I'd love to see pics of that.

14. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    I'll post them when I get home. I only made the "cam" piece that locks into the light housing. I can no longer adjust the lights from inside the trunk.

15. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Once they are set, you don't ever really need to touch it again. Also, if you must absolutely adjust them and the cogs are busted, you can do so by gently inserting a screwdriver into the adjustment hole and turning. I confirmed this when I removed them. I would only do this as a last ditch effort, and your cogs are busted.