360 Exhaust Manifold Cracks | FerrariChat

360 Exhaust Manifold Cracks

Discussion in '360/430' started by Portenos, Aug 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    During the routine 15K service last week, I was informed by the dealer that my 05 360
    spider with 13,000 miles has a cracked exhaust manifold (s)

I have searched the forum for others with this problem with no luck.

Question? are there other owners who have experianced this problem, and if so, what was done about it, ie, did FNA take care of it 100% under warranty or 50% or ?
    One would think this this would be covered under the 8 years 80,000 mile emissions warranty? or? My dealer indicated there would be no warranty replacement.
    They estimated the replacement of both manifolds at $10,000 + $1000 labor. Can this be true? and if so will I be faced with doing this again in another 13,000 miles?
    I do see a lot of postings re the F355 manifolds cracking, with no help from FNA.
    Any assistance in this research will be much appreciated.
    I find this very odd and do not intend to simply roll over.
    Ciao,
    Major Chili
    2005 360 Spider 6 sp Manual

2. swilliams

swilliams Formula 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Scott
    1st one I've heard of.. If it has precats as 2000 or later then it should be covered under warranty via fed emissions law.

3. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Sad but true....

ALL 355's went through their exhaust manifolds....and I'm told that, unfortunately, the 360's have the same mediocre-quality material used in the exhaust manifolds and eventually we too will suffer the same fate of needing to get them taken care of.

Hopefully you're covered....

4. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    If they will do it for that little, its a good deal. (assuming its a real dealer.)

My guess if you do all the "while we are in there" stuff like clutch and belts, you will be $20k.

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

WAAAY to high of a price for genuine Ferrari manifolds. They can be had for almost $2K less. In either quote, you need to budget about another $200 for manifold gaskets, and donuts.

6. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I see used ones on eBay for 1K, or you can always put a set of Tubi headers on it for MUCH less than what you're being quoted.

7. vittle

vittle Rookie

Jun 29, 2008
    430's have the same problem. Go bad around 9000 miles.

8. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    looks like u enjoy getting jacked if u think that is a good deal

9. ehagen

ehagen Karting

Mar 20, 2008
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I just took out my headers today. The actual manifold isn't cracked, but some of the tubes that have the exhaust recycle are cracked. This is a much cheaper problem to fix.

Is this the same for you? or is it the exhaust manifold it self is cracked. Do you have pictures?

10. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    The prices for out of warranty work are obscene. They will quote the price in advance so you can go into a repair with your eyes wide open, its just the cost makes owning a 5 year old plus car really high.

11. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    I have a spare set of factory ones if your interested .

12. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    First, I really appreciate all the input from fellow 360 owners on this subject.

Second, I picked up my car today paid the $6,002.00 for the 3 year belt service, which I am at this point very happy with.
    My understanding from others is that this service can be had for less money at other dealers but i am convinced that my dealer takes extra care and replaces items that other dealers may not.

Third, Now lets return to the subject of the cracked header (s) The service manager insist that my headers are not covered by warranty in the state of washington. He says they are only covered in California.
    Armed with information I received from this thread and through talking with other knowledgeable people on this subject I explained my position. I mentioned that 13,000 miles on a set of headers was inconsistent with the high quality of the Marque. I went on to say that I would like to resolve this with out getting down in the mud so to speak.
    The service Mgr. left it open to a settlement pending some type of consideration from FNA. At this point FNA had not weight in as yet.

I should have photos to post in the next day or so.

Conclusion, I remain very disappointed, not with my dealer, whom I continue to have the upmost respect for, and who I believe have acted in the best professional manor.
    I just can't get past the Idea of a $250,000 car having such an important part fail in such a short period of time. I would hope Ferrari would have an immediate discussion with the header supplier, and hold the supplier responsible for the replacement parts, but only after the headers have been reengineered to a higher standard.
    Who wants to have a replacement part installed when there is a high probability of another failure in another 13,000 miles.
    Someone mentioned the the 430 headers were cracking at 9000 miles. If this is correct, it is an outrage.
    I would encourage all 360 owners to have their headers checked. It takes a little less than one hour. If you find evidence of leakage please contact me.
    Ciao,
    Major Chili
    2005 360 Spider Manual

"Never to Late To Wait"

13. redryder

redryder Karting

May 30, 2008
    usa
    Full Name:
    george
    According to EPA the headers are part of the emissions system........I got this directly from the EPA Certifications Director that handles ALL FERRARI's coming into USA from the factory.
    My response is to carry this header failure to EPA as a complaint and inform FNA of your intended action if they will not cover it under the "EMISSIONS WARRANTY"

14. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I have a question regarding checking the headers.

The 360 headers are wrapped with sheet metal, how do you actually check if there are any cracked header pipe without cracking open the shielding?

15. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #15 Portenos, Aug 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Good Question,
    In my case there was fiberglass puffing out from under the aluminum heat shielding.
    Please see below photos

The other way is to listen to the leak or use one of those small camera cords to go up into the header.
    Still no word from FNA.
    Ciao,
    Major Chili
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. CyclingPeaks

CyclingPeaks Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2006
    Big Island, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Hunter Allen
    O.k., dumb question... What's the problem with driving around with a cracked header for a while?
    Will this hurt the engine, toast the exhaust, contribute to global warming, cause an engine fire?

I mean, I drove my 1972 Pontiac LeMans for like 20 years with a hole in the manifold gasket and it just made the exhaust sound better. It was even better when the muffler fell off on a month long road trip, with like no extra money for a new one, so I just kept on driving it! That car was bullet proof. Literally. ;-)

Hunter

17. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

I'm in CA, and I do know I have an "addendum" to the warranty manual for emissions in this state. However, I believe the EPA "emissions warranty" is federal, and FNA are probably trying their usual "try and make him go away" approach. I don't see any way they can claim the headers are not a part of the emission control system, and thence covered....

As always, my 02c,
    Cheers,
    Ian

18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #18 Rifledriver, Aug 5, 2008
    Tip of the iceberg.

We have suuccessfully represented 2 360 owners against FNA for failed exhaust manifolds and the consequent damage. This is a picture of the replacement engine in my shop waiting to be installed in car #2. I know of another car with extensive engine damage being repaired right now. A class action suit is not out of the question. Contact me if you have or you think you have a 360 with bad manifolds or failed precats.

BTW Ferrari is out of replacement 360 engines and is out of many critical parts to repair/rebuild them.

That should make you think.

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #19 Rifledriver, Aug 5, 2008
  20. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #20 MalibuGuy, Aug 5, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
    Dear Rifledriver-
    Please tell me more about the damage that can be caused by cracked exhaust manifold. Does it appear to be a model year related problem or is the entire 360 production at risk? What are the ways you can tell if your engine is starting to be damaged?
    What is the damage? How did Ferrari finally fix the problem?
    Thanks!

21. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    Just to give a quick answer. A exhaust leak can lead to poor performance and a higher risk of fire. As far as what Ferrari had done to resolve this (I haven't a clue) I'll let Brian get into that.

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    What makes you think it got fixed? The only fix applied was to quit building 360. Now they have the 430. When they get tired of replacing those manifolds we will be representing 430 owners because Ferrari is going to fix those about the same time they fix the 355.

Some call Microsoft the Evil Empire.

B.S. Ferrari could give lessons to B.G.

23. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Welcome back Brian. You were missed around here.

24. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 [You really were missed!]

However, I'm hoping you're working on my car and not wasting time posting here...... :D

Cheers,
    Ian

25. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Brian,

Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to see you share your wealth of knowledge and valuable information once again on Fchat!!!!!!!!

THANKS!

Robert