Ferrari corporate forcing Rob to shut down F-chat... | FerrariChat

Ferrari corporate forcing Rob to shut down F-chat...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Piton, Aug 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Piton

Piton Karting

Sep 11, 2005
    ...so say the whispers in the wind.

No word on the final "doomsday" date yet.

2. rmk

rmk Formula 3

Mar 24, 2002
    sup mako

3. Piton

Piton Karting

Sep 11, 2005
    Not much, but very shocked by the news. Typical Ferrari legal nonsense in action, can't believe they'd go after a site that supports them and doesn't on the surface seem to infringe on any copyrights.

Crazy.

4. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I'm hoping this is a joke. What on this site could possibly offend Ferrari?

5. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    This would be very sad if true but Rob can always re name it to "Fchat" since we're always referring it to the shortname.

Porsche Stuttgart did do this to our local club long ago, citing infringement of brand blah blah blah. Then tookover & it's all good now but they have full control over it.

6. Blue4reF1

Blue4reF1 Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Plantation, FL
    Full Name:
    Blake Simon
    Noooo. This can't be true. :(

7. jd121

jd121 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jasen
    Your Kidding right. :(

8. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    #8 RacerX_GTO, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Greg Z

Greg Z Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Full Name:
    Gregory L. Zelinski
    LOL, This almost doesn't surprise me. Typical Ferrari BS! Its why I plan on never buying a NEW Ferrari just so I don't support them. I will only buy used, but yet I would buy a new Lambo if I could.

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    "Whispers"? Or deliberately spread rumors from a certain pack of known jokers and ex-sponsors?

I note that the other board is now no longer public....

11. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    This would be devastating to me if true, not that i believe it.

12. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    #12 CornersWell, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
    Generally, yes. Remember FML used to have the prancing horse logo? No more. For years, SpA has been going after replica manufacturers even going to the point of having cars crushed. Mattel/Hot Wheels is still the only toy maker with a license. SpA wants to get PAID! Frankly, I'm a little surprised that it took them this long to take notice. I guess they had their resources too focused on things like their sales contracts and Classiche to do anything until now.

I'm also certain there's a way for this site to continue operations.

Oh, and why is this in the Lamborghini forum? Shouldn't this be in the general forum?

CW

13. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    looks like ferrari has better lawyers than part suppliers

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    BMW did this as well to BMWm5, they renamed it to M5board.

15. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I call BS, bitterness must be a hard pill to swallow.

16. FredParoutaud

FredParoutaud Formula 3

Jun 9, 2004
    Well if you charge for something...and call it "Ferrari-" anything...I'm not surprised.

Fred

17. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    or Ferrarichat.com

they have no claim on the word Ferrarichat :)

18. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    #18 CornersWell, Aug 11, 2008
    As a lawyer, I think that while you are technically correct, a judge looking at that defense would ultimately reject it. It incorporates the word Ferrari and it's a Ferrari-oriented site (ironically, much of the non-Ferrari content is subscription-based, too). It's also "The Online Ferrari Community" according to the upper right of the page. I think Rob would have some issues if SpA chose to bring a cease and desist order.

CW

19. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    That means that anyone that uses the word Ferrari in any form is in violation. Buzzzzzzzzzz. Not going to happen (IMO). It will go back to exactly what is in violation to Ferrari's copyright and trademarks, exactly as they are written. My company had a trademark issue and got around it by simply changing the shape of the first letter in the company name. Up held in the courts so I know there is absolutely no wiggle room when it comes to trademarks. They are exactly as submitted, written and approved.

20. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    You may well be correct. However, I've seen some strange things when it comes to these matters over the years.

CW

21. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    This is beginning to look like another "My Lambo was reported stolen..........................." thread :(

22. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    That makes sense. They don't see a cent when you buy parts from them since all the parts for these cars are readily available at Autozone.

23. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Complete crock of ****.

This is yet another one of Gustan's impractical jokes, with an old hater* of FerrariChat being the delivery boy to FerrariChat this time.

As Rob has indicated elsewhere on threads I'm not going to bother with, Ferrari S.p.A. has been aware of FerrariChat for many years.

Bye- bye, "Piton" - who will get a 2-year ban, then, just to rub salt in his gaping maw, have said ban renewed every 2 years.

*Using a different identity, the same individual was permabanned 4 1/2 years ago.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #24 rob lay, Aug 11, 2008
    FerrariChat.com has been around 8 years, there simply requires common sense on both sides. We have never used the prancing horse, other protected trademarks, or even the 'Ferrari' font. Ferrari has been aware of FerrariChat.com since the beginning and overall I have heard personally from Ferrari and through insiders they are fine and pleased with us. They know how to contact me personally if issues and I think the community would be pleased to hear Ferrari respects our community and freedoms to communicate. +1 for Ferrari. Any intervention has been minor, like recently requesting that specs of the California be removed before the official release date. That seems reasonable and I fully complied. The Ferrari organization will certainly change over the years and their position may change, but from early on through several years ago when Jean Todt passed along a message to add 'FerrariChat.com has no association with Ferrari S.p.A.' to each page they have been very professional and appreciative.

We do have alternate domain names, currently using www.thebestemployee.com and I have about 20 others without the Ferrari name that could be turned on quickly. Why would Ferrari go after us at this point? Are they going after the 10 other Ferrari forums, Ferraris-Online, Ferrari Market Letter, Ferrari Owners Club, and etc? FerrariChat.com is basically a club, actually the largest Ferrari club in world by tens of thousands. Think if Ferrari went after the FCA or FOC and what kind of impact it would have on their business to tick off that many of its enthusiasts. For those clubs we're are talking thousands, for FerrariChat.com we're talking over 60,000.

<removed by Rob>

I have not been legally contacted, although for 8 years I have heard every rumor from A to Z and nothing has ever come from it. Usually common sense rules out in business and there are mutually beneficial solutions, so why would they go down a mutually damaging path? All is cool, with 60k users there are a few disgruntled and jealous users that lead to a headache here and there. Anyone think my job is easy and want to take it over? :D

25. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    #25 JH, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2008

Application sent ... haha