330P4 at Concorso Italiano | FerrariChat

330P4 at Concorso Italiano

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Bee Jay, Aug 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    #1 Bee Jay, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
    Almost too funny. I drove up to the Concorso Italiano in Monterey Friday with one goal. Come home with a GMP Ferrari 330 P4. When I get there, I march right up to the GMP booth. The owner of GMP recognized me, shook my hand and asked where is my lovely wife. I said enough of the small talk chit chat, give me a 330 P4, now. He said they are literally on the boat and it will be another 3-6 weeks before shipping. Dang! "Pay for one now, and you'll be get of the first shipped". I give him my credit card, and he charges me $270, no shipping and no tax. Great deal. My friend Wayne Dempsey of PelicanParts.com fame, (Porsche and BMW parts) is nagging me the whole time. "Don't buy at the first booth you come too, shop around first". I tell Wayne, "these are the guys that build and distribute the model, if they don't have one available, nobody has one. And he's not charging me tax or shipping". Good deal, done. (Wayne made his first million buying and selling Porsche 914 parts at swap meets). Fifteen minutes later, Wayne comes up to me with that crappy "I told you so" grin on his face. Another vendor had a 330 P4 on display, and Wayne negotiated for him to sell the only display model he has for $250, but I have to leave it with him till 4:30, because he needs the display to make sales. Cool. I march back to GMP and beg to be let out of my deal. "So, (instert name here), is selling his display, I'll talk to him later". He tears up my credit slip and I head back to vendor B. Wayne says to calm down, check the rest of the booths before I buy the display. I tell Wayne, "he's only got one display model and I better make the deal before someone else takes it. $250, no tax, no shipping, and I bring it home tonight. Can't be beat". No more than 10 minutes later, Wayne come up to me again laughing, "check this out". Classic Motor Car magazine was giving away GMP 330 P4s with a two year subscription. Two year subscriptions are $170. DANG! I waltz back to vendor B, and I ask to be let out of my "great" deal. He hands me my cretit card slip, and I tear it up. Then I go to Classic Motor Car and subscribe. I have to wait 3-6 weeks, but I got the car, a two year subscription to a great vintage car magazine for only $170. Wayne is still laughing, and will tell the story to everyone we know, so I'm telling my side here. I bought the P4 three times Friday. But I think I got a great deal. Thanks Wayne.
    Bee Jay

2. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Thats an amazing deal and a great story!

$ 170 is a bargain!

3. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #3 BLACK HORSE, Aug 18, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
    Yeah... I too took the advantage of the sweet deal of the two year subscription from Classic Motor Car and get the GMP 330 P4 at $170
    Only the first 100 of the two year subscription was offered and I was #52 at 9:30am. I just couldn't pass that deal up since the car would have cost me $269 without shipping charges.

4. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Pix Please!!!

5. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I was told that the 330 P4's won't be showing up on door steps within three to six weeks after the show. Once I get mine, I'll post some pict's if someone don't beat me to it.

6. rodolfo

rodolfo Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2007
    Mexico
  7. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    I forgot to mention that one of the GMP guys is an F-chatter. He has a 308GT4 I think. I don't remember his username.
    Bee Jay

8. Itsa GT4

Itsa GT4 Karting

Jun 8, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark Sanderson
    Thanks for stopping by Bee Jay, even if we did have to tear up your invoice................. :)

It was great to get to meet you and a few other F-chatters as well.

Please don't hesitate if any of you have GMP questions. I'd be more than happy to help.

Thanks,

Mark

9. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    So.... Mark you were competing against your own product, that must be strange.......
    Congrats on the P4's, there's a lot of commotion, which is a good sign!

10. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    Hey Mark. Thanks. Any other 1/18 Ferrari, Porsche or Can Am race cars on the horizon? The P4 looks great. I got your Lola last year, or maybe the year before, and the Mclaren before that. GMP makes a great model.
    Bee Jay

11. oscar-alpha

oscar-alpha Rookie

Aug 10, 2008
    3-6 weeks?
    Hmm...this is worrying for a model that was supposed to be out in July??
    What are the reasosn for the delay? I cannot wait obviously LOL...

12. Itsa GT4

Itsa GT4 Karting

Jun 8, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark Sanderson
    They started production approx 6 weeks ago, but found that the cars required excessive hand work and decided to stop and modify the tools to simplify the build and improve quality. We have received 18 production pieces and they exceeded our expectations, so the delay looks to have been worthwhile. The factory has promised 200 to 300 pieces per week, and will ship them as containers leave with other product so we should be able to fill all existing retail and dlr orders by late Nov.

We do have another Ferrari in development with introduction plans set for Nuremberg this Feb. and deliveries in May-June 09.

13. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    Hey, I waited four years for an Exoto Chaparral once. My Momma once said, "you waited 12 years for that bicycle, you can wait another day". I can wait. Take your time, do it right. Never say that to a construction contractor or the guy painting your Porsche. Ask me how I know.
    Bee Jay

14. oscar-alpha

oscar-alpha Rookie

Aug 10, 2008
    It looks like the wait is worth it....

The other Ferrari. Same era? Some hints?
    Sportscar, F1, GT racer or roadcar?

15. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    #15 Bee Jay, Aug 20, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
    May-June 09? Looks like I'll be renewing my subscription at next years Concorso. What Ferrari would you introduce in Germany? I bet it has something to do with Michael Shumacher. The suspense will kill me.
    Bee Jay

16. Itsa GT4

Itsa GT4 Karting

Jun 8, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark Sanderson
    A race car......a little newer............

17. oscar-alpha

oscar-alpha Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

Muchas Gracias for that...
    Maybe I may suggest the 512S, 512M or Codalunga of Le Mans 1970, 71
    Also a Sunoco 512
    Or Maybe the 312PB...maybe, maybe just ignore me. :)

18. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Because bbr is working on the 512BBLM, I suspect (hope) it to be the 512S!

19. Dimitar

Dimitar Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston
    Any chance for a Ferrari F50GT???

20. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    I have to ask (because I did a search and turned up zippo) what magazine is Classic Motor Car? I've seen Classic Motorsports (US), Motorsports (UK) and Classic and Sportscar (UK) but I don't think I've seen that one.

21. Itsa GT4

Itsa GT4 Karting

Jun 8, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark Sanderson
    It was Classic and Sports Car Magazine. They had a limited number of P4s available as part of a special subscription offer which were gone by Saturday afternoon at the track. The cars were not actually available for delivery there, but were orders that will be filled as we begin receiving/shipping them in a couple of weeks.

22. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Thanks. I may try anyway!

23. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    #23 Bee Jay, Nov 4, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
    I just got mine today!! Wohoo! It's even more beautiful than I remembered, and it's mine. I don't want to put the hood and bonnet on, it's so nice under the skin. It came with this really cool nameplate made out of granite or something really heavy. I wish all of my high end models came with a plate like this. I am a happy customer.
    Bee Jay

24. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    #24 Bee Jay, Nov 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey, I saw the GMP Crew at SEMA. Here is a picture of my P4 with my GMP Lola and McClaren. I wish they would do the Lotus 79 that Mario won his world championship with, or another Can Am or Lemans car. A Ferrari 512 would really be cool. I like their stuff.
    Bee Jay
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    They look great! I hope I can afford the higher end stuff some day. :)