how much to tip car carrier? | FerrariChat

how much to tip car carrier?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mousecatcher, Aug 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    This is not a repeat of a frequently asked question.

I'm having a transporter bring out 6 or 7 vehicles from the east coast to the west coast. Essentially the entire truck will be just mine.

I would normally tip $100 for 1 vehicle, is it ok to stick with that ($100 total for the trip) or should I up it a little?

2. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    Do you also tip the UPS guy?

3. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    NOTHING! He is being paid for a service. When I fly you to Hawaii on AA, do you stop by the cockpit door to tip me?

Mark

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I tip for almost everything and usually 20% unless a big ticket item like car transport. I tipped maybe 10% when the 355 C was taken to Monterey and back in 2004. I'm smart with my money and not like I have extra to give out, but I figure a tip into my budget before I even get into something. I know waiters, valets, taxi drivers, and car transport drivers may never see me again, but good karma to give them something extra because usually their greedy companies aren't. I can't stand cheap people that spend thousands or hundreds on something and don't give a little extra where it will probably mean the most.

5. jsanocki

jsanocki Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2006
    NJ
    umm....you paid a fee, and no tip is expected nor required. Tip based on service in an industry which needs it. Like another post said, are you tipping UPS? How about your doctor after your prostate exam? Slip the guy a Ben Franklin and a wink for a job well done?

When people tip on stuff like this it makes the rest of us look bad because I have no intention of tipping anyone other then a waiter/bell hop/valet, etc etc....

6. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Do a search. I tipped something on the order of $50 when my 355 was delivered. The last thread they were bashing the guy for $100, and some would tip $500! I felt like a shlep.

I like this thread better :)

7. elgin328

elgin328 Formula 3

Apr 11, 2004
    near Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
  8. ferrari sulla pellicola

ferrari sulla pellicola Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2004
    Los angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #8 ferrari sulla pellicola, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
    to tip transport drivers for the most part.its not like a valet or waiter etc i .dont know if youre using one of the big companys like Passport/Fed Ex and ICL etc or if its an independent contractor...since there are 6 cars in the pick up and drop-off run i know from experience thats a lot of hours of crawling around securing them for the trip and then untying them especially if these are project cars that dont run under their own power.at least have some cold water or soft drinks handy.see how he treats the cars as he brings them out and if the drivers a true professional then perhaps a gift certificate for dinners at outback,cracker barrell or similar place.theyve always smiled when ive done that!

9. TrentS

TrentS Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2005
    South Florida
    Why would you tip a driver anything, ever? He's been paid, he gets a check from the company he works for. Tipping has gotten so out of control it's beyond ridiculous.

10. hnko

hnko Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Quebec
    Full Name:
    nico
    you got a point :)

11. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Rob,

Why do you assume that all companies are greedy and don't pay their drivers well? Why do you not tip me when you spend 3K on a first class airline ticket to Europe and I fly you there safely?

I think the tipping thing as gotten out of control - remember tip means "to insure prompt service". It was never meant as an add on charge for everything and everybody. Primarily waitstaff and valets.

IMHO

Mark

12. toshiba

toshiba Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Santa
    I didn't tip my driver because he switched plans where to drop of my car

I don't see a problem in giving the guy a 20 or a 50 if they were good to your car. not like it's gonna hurt after paying 100k+ for a car

13. TM328

TM328 Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    New England
    If it were even remotely expected, there would be a mention of the expected tip on their websight. If you want to help they guy out, thats very nice but dont call it a tip.

14. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hey! My neighbor is a pilot for AA.

Back to the thread, I tipped my guy $100 for one car, not sure what I'd do for an entire trailer full. :)

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I tip my CFI, dispatcher, and especially the ground support. You aren't starving like they are. ;) Just kidding, if I had a charter or private flight I would tip, I tip the bush pilots when fishing.

16. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    Most independent drivers get paid very little. The auto brokers take about 20% of the rate, these guys work very hard in all kinds of weather. I dont know about you, but when i tip, it makes these guys day. I just had 6 trees taken down in my yard, 25 ft pines. Crew of 6 Mexicans, you should have seen their faces when I handed them a Fifty for lunch...

17. blockhead

blockhead F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2008
    rock {me} hard place
    Full Name:
    knight who says "ni"
    #17 blockhead, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
    If I gave you a Franklin in front of the passengers and crew, would you take it?

What do your regs and employment agreement say about that?

Cuz.. maybe I would!! :)

18. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'll see you on the next flight!!!

19. Bavarian Motorist

Bavarian Motorist Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2007
    Westchester/NYC
    Full Name:
    Mike

I think companies may factor in tipping into their employees' wages and therefore pay them less. Pretty sleazy on the company's part if that is true.

20. Bluehinder

Bluehinder Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2005
    Colorado
    I'm sorry to say I paid nothing over the charge. No tip. But, it also did not cross my mind, as I was thinking of my new 430 Spider, and was freaking out.

21. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #21 BT, Aug 20, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
    I do. I give the guys at the local UPS store $20 each near Xmas. I drop off about one package per week, and they always make sure it gets on the truck.
    BT

22. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I've never tipped a trucker in 20 years in the car business.

Using car carriers is a funny thing, they all suck IMHO, so you try to pick the best of the worst and run with it.

23. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    If the service is top notch (prompt delivery, keep you abreast of his whereabout and ETA), I will tip around $50. However, if the driver is also "owner-operator", then NO, I don't tip.

24. I'm gone

I'm gone Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Phoenix,az
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Using car carriers is a funny thing, they all suck IMHO, so you try to pick the best of the worst and run with it.[/QUOTE]

After all the stories I've heard over the years you may be part right, that must also be why my wife and I are so busy we have a hard time keeping up!

25. TSM

TSM Karting

May 24, 2008
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Troy
    We tip for good service period. Delivery people, Moving & Storage people, and service people. UPS, Fedex, and the like will not accept a tip when offered.

If you are a private party then $100 for 1 auto is fair and for 6 or 7 I'd add $50 per for the extras. If you are receiving the shipment for a business transaction then I would tip $100 for the load as long as the delivery was on-time and undamaged.

"To insure promptness" does have meaning.