Rob's Journal 2008 | FerrariChat

Rob's Journal 2008

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by rob lay, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #2 rob lay, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wednesday 9/10/08 - Report #1
    Miles Driven (since last report): 0
    Miles Driven (total): 0
    ---

Jennie and I will leave in the GranSport shortly. Taking different back roads up meeting Ron & Stephanie Rippe in Mena, Arkansas this evening.

Last pic before leaving saying goodbye to Mia in front of the Challenge on jack stands (starter & alternator are in getting rebuilt right now).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #3 rob lay, Sep 10, 2008
    Wednesday 9/10/08 - Report #2
    Miles Driven (since last report): 319.8
    Miles Driven (total): 319.8
    ---

Rained the entire way, but we had a great trip. Started trip off right passing a Lambo in the rain leaving Dallas. Met up with Rippes early on in Antlers, OK. We stopped at the Paris, TX train station for quick pic and although close to Rippes from Paris, TX up we didn't start driving together until Antlers, OK. Funniest was a UHaul passing me and then Ron in the lead on the highway in the rain. Ron claims his speedo was 75 mph when passed, but I think it had the optomistic Ferrari guage going as the Maser was showing 60-65. ;) Below are pics from both the Maser and from the Rippes 348. The Talimena trail was just awesome! However, we maybe should have followed the warnings that driving it in fog was prohibited. Not only was it twilight end of day, but it was very foggy the entire 50 miles. Still a fun crazy challenge and we lived. Arrived about 7:45 PM at the cottage in Mena and then into town for Tex-Mex.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #4 rob lay, Sep 15, 2008
    Thursday 9/11/08 - Report #3
    Miles Driven (since last report): 198.4
    Miles Driven (total): 518.2
    ---

Slept in at the cottage, could actually see it in the dawn light, what a cool little place. Went to downtown Mena checking out their old train station with antique shops, then looked through windows of a local car collector that has everything in an old Studebaker dealership and gas station, and finally the Mena Wal-Mart! :) We headed up to Paris (2nd Paris in 2 days :)) and had lunch and beers at a great little place called The Grapevine. From Paris it was the Pig's Trail all the way up to Eureka! A good practice day for the real event. :D

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #5 rob lay, Sep 16, 2008
    Thursday 9/11/08 - Report #4
    Miles Driven (since last report): 0
    Miles Driven (total): 518.2
    ---

Thursday arrived 30 minutes before the reception sponsored by Stormy Point Resort (Darren, Pat, and Rich) and then dinner afterwards. After-After party was in Doc Baker's lounge upstairs until midnight closing time.

The Ghost Busters were at it again, but please understand the disclaimer that although the faces in the pictures look familiar and the activities look suspect, it is only an illusion. No cats, drunks, or ghosts were injured in the following "illusioned" events. For the genesis of ghost busting at the Crescent please view my 2006 journal. After being caught red handed with a pick in the lock downstairs by security the guard laughed us off as harmless drunks and actually let us in for the now famous pic on the autopsy table with Drew & Greg. 2007 brought only limited success. This year we were met with some additional challenges, but persistence is none of our middle names. After much expert lock picking of the first door with no success the discovery of a huge hole (cat door) allowed Ghost Buster #1 to reach through and unlock door from other side. The second door was a simple credit card job, but then the final door into the morgue was unopenable even with all our expert skills combined long lost hours ago in Baker’s. Plan B was to gain access from the outside, again we were foiled by technology that neither cat door, lock pick, or credit card could access. Always resourceful Ghost Buster #2 discovered an old rusty wet iron fire escape ladder reaching upwards into the fog. What it had to do with Ghost Busting I don't know, but it had everything to do with getting into trouble and hurting ourselves, so in other words a great idea. We found ourselves on the 1st story side roof and then Ghost Buster #3 led us up the 2nd story and then finally all the way up to the 4th story. Everyone can thank us that we did this proper search of the exterior for paranormal activity and the only results were psychotic.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #6 rob lay, Sep 16, 2008
    Friday 9/12/08 - Report #5
    Miles Driven (since last report): 304.2
    Miles Driven (total): 822.4
    ---

A great driving day sponsored by Speed TV and Dream Car Garage. Off about 8:30 we headed East on some great roads. The front train was going great with Chris M. SL550, Larry 360, John K. CLK 63 Black, C5 Z06, and then Jennie, me, and Gary in back seat of the GranSport hauling ass. That lasted about 30 miles until we missed a turn, even Jennie missed it who is usually dead on. From there it was pretty mixed up among the 40+ cars which was fun and more relaxing. The trip out to the caverns was about 160 miles of almost all curvy roads and between the wrong turns and a long gas stop we still ended up being the 4th car there. That is quite funny as I don’t remember passing that many people back, but I know almost everyone made a wrong turn or two. Chris in his 550 leaving last I think still made it first as he knew the route.

Unfortunately one of the 360’***** a deer, thankfully everyone was OK and I noticed some roadside venison stands in area drive back. ;) The BBQ was really really good, I loved the ribs. Nice lunch and then a group did the cavern tour. I haven’t gone through a cave since a kid, so really enjoyed it.

Trip home up the 25 mile Push Mountain Rd. was the best. What a great driving road and no traffic, just the Mountain Home BBQ Caterers who waved us by. Rest of the 140 mile trip was mostly a straight shot, but the town traffic sucked.

Friday night was a reception and music hosted by Steve Will and Premier Leasing and then the usual After Party at Baker’s.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #7 rob lay, Sep 17, 2008
    Saturday 9/13/08 - Report #6
    Miles Driven (since last report): 85.3
    Miles Driven (total): 907.7
    ---

Now for our annual tradition of War Eagle Mill for breakfast. Jennie and I led it out stuck behind 5 civilians until off 23 and then we had a little morning fun to warm up the appetite. They had a little buffet set up which was much more efficient. Hung around a little taking pics on the bridge before heading back for the downtown parade. We did our usual bar hop all afternoon making it back 30 minutes before we had to leave for supper. Many took the afternoon up to Branson for Jim Cox and his Branson Collector Car Auction. Time to go Hillbilly with our overalls at Holiday Island with band and more BBQ. Rippe, Gene & wife, along with Jennie and I then went back downtown Eureka for a neat little band there. One of their songs was called "Brother Father". :D Late night back to Baker's and finishing off the Bourbon in Tom's room.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #8 rob lay, Sep 17, 2008
    Sunday 9/14/08 - Report #7
    Miles Driven (since last report): 421.5
    Miles Driven (total): 1329.2
    ---

Early Sunday morning soon after I had just gone to bed the windows started shaking and the wind sounded like it would break them. I went to the bathroom to find an inch of water on the floor, yet I couldn’t find any obvious leaks. It was just seeping in from everywhere. I threw some towels down and went back to bed, soon the power went out. Woke up still with no power and limbs down everywhere outside. Heard the eye of what was left from Ike came very close to Eureka with 40 mph winds. We left about 9:30am, leafs down everywhere, but most of the trees down in the road had been cleared. It was actually a rain free trip home, I only drove up until lunch and Jennie drove the rest of way as I slept.

Another great year and thanks to everyone, see ya next year!

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay