355 Uneven tread wear | FerrariChat

355 Uneven tread wear

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Merdav, Jun 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    On the drivers inside rear tire of my 1995 F355 the tread seems to be wearing faster than the outside. My shop manual shows the two forks to the tire can have spacer washers remove to adjust for this. Isn't it odd that this would have to be done, there's no moving parts to wear for this adjustment to have been altered. I believe ths adjustment is the "toe-in". Could it have just been incompetence from the techs at the factory?

2. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Independent suspensions, just like every other component on your car, need routine maintenace and adjustment. The suspension is a kinetic system, and settings do not remain static -- if you consider the amount of work your suspension does, you'll understand. Get you alignment checked, and have the toe adjusted; it's not incompetence, it's simply wear & tear.

3. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Kinda normal for the 355.. Inner rears do tend to wear faster.

Rear camber is probably set somewhere about 2.0

Once you set your car to not wear tires, you loose some handling ability.

If anything get the alignment checked.

4. theo-m

theo-m Rookie

Dec 26, 2003
    I am getting the same type of wear. I had the car aligned and replaced both tires after cupping of the previous set. I am still hearing tire noise similar to the cupped tire sound. The tires are Bridgestone Expedia s-01's. Any thoughts?

5. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    I wouldn't be as concerned if both rear were wearing unevenly, but it's only the drivers side. I'm thinking about removing one of the toe in washers on that side. I actually put a 3' level to the tire and it's much further out of level than the passenger side.
    THEO I think the cupping problem your having is from under inflated tires.

6. fazzaz1

fazzaz1 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Sam Scott
    With the negative camber in the rear suspension 355 rear tires are going to wear on the inside, but both sides should be about the same. As stated above if you decamber the rear suspension you will change the handling but with the cost of most good 18 inch tires maybe that is a viable option.

7. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    My concern is, the driver inside tire is wearing Faster the the other. I put a level from bottom to top on each rim and measured the distance at the top where the tire slightly leans in toward the car. The passenger side is about 1/8" from the top. The left is almost a 1/4" from the top, definatly out of camber. I will remove a shim or two in a few days and recheck.

8. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That's a dagerous measurement, since the body of the car is unlikely to be exactly the same on both sides of the car anyway (makes it hard to "check by eye) and you can't be sure that the ground was perfectly level either. Why don't you take it to a professional? I find this a very strange thing for someone who appears not to know what they're doing to attempt. (using a ruler on top of it!)

9. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Your symptoms sound like too much negative camber, more than too much toe, although the latter could accelerate the wear from the former.

Alignment can change with time, especially as the car is a monocoque and even a good pothole can cause a permanent change.

If you're willing to pop $70+K for the car, pop the $100-$200 for a proper 4-wheel alignment to check caster, camber and toe.

Pulling shims is like shooting in the dark if you are not measuring the effect.

Get the car aligned! Also check carefully for any play in the bushings and ball joints, as excessive wear in these areas will make alignment an exercise in futility, as the settings won't hold true due to excessive suspension free play.

10. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    My ruler was broken..., actually the ground is perfectly level, and I have the shop manual for specs. Ferrari didn't make this a scientific adjustment as there should be a threaded screw for precise adjustment. It's the old remove or add shims as necessary. I wasn't "checking by eye' the level was only on the rims, so although the car is prefectly level it wouldn't have a huge effect on the rim angle unless it was drastic anyway. I'm going by the angle of the passenger side as that tire it wearing perfectly. Don't be afraid to work on a car it isn't brain surgery.
    The proper toe-in value is 2.5+/-0.5mm
    Negative camber is the problem, although it should be negative, not as excessive as it is.
    And I don't mind paying for a wheel alignment, but I won't learn anything having someone else do it for me.

11. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You'll learn if you stand there with him and watch and ask questions. Most of the wheel alignment places I've been to are hopeless, so you'll be struggling to find a good one, so ask around. There's NO WAY you can start removing shims to change your camber without affecting toe as well...so unless you know what you're doing, know how to setup to check toe AND camber AND know for sure that your floor is flat (which is unlikely) take it somewhere good for the work to be done properly. Sounds like you have no idea what the toe is at the moment anyway.

12. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    Take it to the F-car dealership and have the tech that works on the 355 Challenge cars do your alignment. While you stand there and watch you will be able to answer all the questions the tech will have as to how you want the car set up. This will take some time, however. Don't rush it. It took 4 hours to set up my car the way I liked it and it was WORTH IT.
    Heck, they are going to need a weight in the driver's seat, so it might as well be you!

Incidentally, I had the same wear pattern, driver's inside rear showing cords, other side showing rather normal, but negative camber, wear.

Let us know the remedy.

Pino

13. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    They don't just set it up to factory specs? How did you want yours set up? What was the cause for your inside drivers tire wear? Will what they did correct this, or was that side set up intentionally to wear like that?

14. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA

In my case, too much toe-out ruined the inside of the R/R tire. It also caused the car to veer to the right as it crested over hills. Weird sensation.

My car still had all of the factory "hash marks" on the shims and bolts indicating that it had never been touched since it left the factory. The bushings shift/wear as the car encounters road irregularities causing the alignment to go out of spec. (So I was told, anyway)
    Yes, they can set it to factory tolerances, or move it around to reduce tire wear (to certain point, of course) while still maintaining some decent handling, or you can go balls to the walls (tire wear be damned!) for that slot car-like feeling.
    I went with the former, and was still mightily impressed with the changes (for the better) the car received when all 4 wheels were going the right direction.

I hope that info helps,
    Pino

15. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    Merdave,

I spent many hours adjusting the suspension of my 355. It started adjusting because of too much inside rear tireware. Then new tires made my car twitchy, then I almost killed myself driving to fast around curves. Mitch Alsup really help me in this thread:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13258&highlight=355+alignment

Basically I found a shop that had modern alignment equipment. The shop insisted I sit in the car with a half a tank of gas and then attached devices to all 4 wheels and did the alignment using a computer.
    My current settings are:

Left Right
    Front Camber -.6 -.6
    Front Caster 7.1 7.0
    Front Toe .01 .01
    Rear Camber -2.3 -2.3
    Rear Toe .01 -.01

Which are just perfect for my car.
    --tony

16. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    If the excessive tire wear is smooth it is camber relatated. If it is featrhered it is a toe in/out issue ( or both could be out of whack).

The ride height must be set FIRST to get the car properly aligned. The ride height will affect the camber setting.

Camber is the inward/outward tilt of the wheel at the top. Caster is the forward/backward tilt of the wheel at the top (viewed from a side angle). SAI (Steering Axis Inclination) tells you if any of your compents are bent. The car will pull to the side with the most negative camber or positive caster.

Regretablly, there is no way to get the specs in tolerance without using an alignment rack.

Also, with an Independent Suspension, at rest (versus on turntables) the wheel will actually be more bowed in (positive camber) then when driving.

17. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Interesting, why is this?

18. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
  19. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    The rear end of an Independent rear suspension squats under toruqe. Remeber the old VW Bugs when viewed from the rear. The wheels were bowed less as the car accelearted.

The turntables on the aligment rack allow the tires to move outward on the contact patch as it is similar to your car moving down the road versus static at a stand still.