TR/Boxer crown and pinion solution! | FerrariChat

TR/Boxer crown and pinion solution!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Dec 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #1 Newman, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a custom made gear set that was machined using an orignal ferrari set for use in a boxer or TR. Brent Pilon here on F-chat has hooked up with a friend to have this made. Brent and I are going to be testing the new gearset in his TR this spring at which time, sets will be made to order for anyone interested. To make things even better, custom ratios are also available. The gears are incredible to see, the quality is amazing and exact in every detail. Ill be having a custom set made for my boxer in a different ratio for more out-of-the-hole go, something like a 3.71 from the stock 3.21.

Also I took some shots of the famous welded carrier for anyone not familiar with the flawed design. Also sitting in the carrier supports.

We plan to make carriers too, solid one piece with the bolt on end cap like the 512M carriers. Stay tuned!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    If everything goes ok, any idea of the cost?

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    $5K a set cdn money, thats half the cost of ferrari.

4. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Man, this is cool! Thanks I'll keep posted on this!
    Thanks in advance...I mean if ever I need it!

5. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    #5 willrace, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
    All I can think to say is.......is.......is........Bless you!! Could be the miracle we've all been looking for, for that piece of mind that the tranny grenade has done been exorcised!! Hallelluja!!! Let's all join hands and sing "Kum Bai Yah"....... :D

For those just tuning in - potentially solving this dilemma makes me happy.

6. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    I think my TR just moved up in value event in this gloom and doom!
    This is the kind of news we are looking for!

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Im just as excited, taking a $10K hit on a gearset for my boxer if the need ever arose wasnt sitting well with me. I can think of other things in life to drop $10K on instead. The carrier should be easier to make than the gears. Now that the first set has been programmed in the rest are a cake walk even with a ratio change.

8. Skogens Baron

Skogens Baron Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2006
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Looks nice!

is there a common problem with the crown an pinion on the testarossa? Please enlighthen me :)

9. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
  10. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Will these fit the 92 512TR? If so I may grab a set just in case. I like the idea of a different gear ratio! Can you show where on the carrier it is welded?

11. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Out of adversity, brighter ideas emerge. Sorry that he got boned, but if it had gone 'perfectly', these wouldn't have been made. Exciting stuff. Looking forward to the follow-ups.

12. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Potentially a very nice thing to develop. It will be interesting to see how well they mesh together and how well they fit into the gearbox. Can be a tough part of reverse engineering a gear set.

What is the metallurgy and surface treatment of the gears?

13. Skogens Baron

Skogens Baron Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2006
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Thank you guys!!

When I read this post I', really not so conserned anymore..

If being driven as it should with no tyrekicking and brutal handling of gearbox it should be fine.. But if it should happen it sure is a great opportunity to buy a kit from you..

Please keep us posted about how the new kit works on your cars.

best regards

Daniel

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ill get the metallurgy info since that was left to the guy that knows the business and builds gearsets for race cars. As for mesh, on the machine that checks them for the patterns, he couldnt have been happier with the outcome and the dye is still on the crown gear so I could see the pattern too. Looks perfect as well, the suggested backlash setting is engraved on the pinion gear. I have no concerns but testing is needed to back it up, we'll set them to spec and do some testing in the coming months.

15. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Nice job. How much more do you think it will be for the carrier? BTW can you point to where the weak spot is on the carrier, I dont see any welds on it?

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #16 Newman, Dec 22, 2008
    You can see the weld along the edge of the carrier near the bearing. The M carrier has no weld. If Brent wants to reuse this carrier its his call, his car but I would at least have it magnafluxed first. I plan to have a carrier made provided it isnt cost prohibitive so if that pans out it will probably find its way into his gearbox.

17. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    #17 jratcliff, Dec 22, 2008

John

18. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    That's 5k for the gear set? or 5k for the carrier?, or 5k for each?

Either way that's great alternative.

There are the carriers made by http://www.modenaengineering.com.au/ for 7k AUS as an alternative. I have heard good things about those as well. With the exchange rate it's pretty attractive.

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    $5K for a gearset only. The carrier price is undetermined since were in the research stage right now. Ferrari sells carriers for $4K so I dont understand the Modena engineering price. That price from ferrari may or may not be the upgraded one though, im not sure.

20. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I think the Modena price (in Australian dollars) is for a "more than" bulletproof example in lieu of the standard from Ferrari so the price could be in line.
    I am still waiting to hear back from them on some questions I have about their unit. I'll let you guys know.

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I agree its bullet proof. A friend of mine has installed them in the past and cant speak highly enough about the quality. The part is over-kill which is fine but the price seems very high. I think it works out to $8500cdn by the time its here in our hands. If the ferrari price of $4K cdn is the M part then thats more than good enough. If I can produce a stronger part for less than the ferrari price then its a win win situation. I could get blown away on the cost once I have it figured out but I have to at least go down that path.

22. 512bbnevada

512bbnevada Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2007
    las vegas
    Full Name:
    Biff
    I did some research on this before having them made, I posted on it in the old F talk site a guy who quoted me around $3500 for a set, he has made many for Daytonas and such, Ferrari uses a unique gear design which is why they are a pain to reverse engineer, I hope yours works well and lasts but not to be a downer from what I have learned from the pros such as Francorchamps is the re engineered sets are never the same quality as Ferrari and just don't last, lets hope they are wrong

23. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Agreed. I just hope I don't have to seriously consider it any time soon.

24. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Is the original gear set weak as well as the carrier? Can you just use the 512m carrier and bolt on the original gear set? I thought the problem is the carrier that breaks, not the gear set?

25. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    very nice Paul.