Installing a Bend Pak MD-6XP Lift!! | FerrariChat

Installing a Bend Pak MD-6XP Lift!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by kerrywittig, Jan 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #1 kerrywittig, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well here ya go....this is what it takes.

First ya get a demolition saw and cut a rectangle out of your garage floor. Bust up the concrete and remove it. Then ya dig down 16 inches using the same Makita electric jack-hammer to break up the dirt and stones that you used to bust up the concrete. Then I as a 56 year old, shovel the dirt into 5 gallon sheetrock buckets and carry it outside in the 10 degree cold and dump it. It takes 3 days to compete because I am old, out of shape and did not realize how much work this really could be. Now construct a 3" X 3" angle iron frame to inset into the 42' X 88" opening in the floor to protect the edges from getting chipped up. Cost: $111.

Next have a buddy of mine come in to mix and pour the Sakrete so it will be level and exactly 3.5" below the original floor. Buddy estimates that 10 bags of Sakrete will be needed..........then says I think we need 5 more.......and then says, we might need 10 bags more.......F it I go back to Loews and get a pallet of more 20 bags, in the end...........we use 11 more, a total of 26 bags, only 16 more than the "original" estimate....... I return the 9 that are left. Next...................
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #2 kerrywittig, Jan 19, 2009
  3. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #3 kerrywittig, Jan 19, 2009
    Well the lift got delivered way ahead of schedule. And it arrived on a pallet at a friends business that has a loading dock, as well as a forklift. We rigged up some spansets and clevises and set it in the back of my truck. It's been super cold here and so the John Deere tractor with the hydralic bucket... well ....the diesel gelled up (forgot to add anti-gel) and so it doesn't wanna run......so the 900 lbs. of Bend Pak lift resides in the truck bed for the last week, (providing excellent traction and a very smooth ride!!) just waiting to be put in place. The TR is covered with snow, coz it's just such a wimp in the snow (see pix).....no traction....I use a winch (note the tow eye in place and a strap attached) to pull it into the garage so as not to spin the wheels and abuse the drivetrain. Maybe by weeks end the lift will find it's resting place. Next project...fabricate a "rack" to store the lift attachments.

4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Looks good - the TR will now drive over your rack! I made some wood ramps to get the TR over the scissor. Your solution is much nicer!
    ~ On the Western scissor, the hose routes out the side of the front stationary tube - if yours is the same, will it clear your pit?
    ~ Any steel in that concrete?
    ~ How thick was your pour?
    ~ did you lag any reinforcement steel into your existing slab before the pour?
    ~ did you adequately compact the dirt before the pour?
    ~ did your original slab have any vapor barrier (plastic)? If so, was it replaced under your pour?

Sorry to ask these questions after the fact.... but eventually I hope to duplicate your design. I especially liked your angle iron solution for the sides of the original slab. Did you have them powder coated?

Thanks for sharing your Ben-Gay project!

Rgds,
    Vincenzo

5. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    #5 jratcliff, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
    Whats that white stuff all over your car and truck? :)

John

BTW a lift is Gods answer to you getting older.

6. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #6 kerrywittig, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
    On the Western Scissor, the hose routes out the side of the front stationary tube - if yours is the same, will it clear your pit?

Wow, I hope it clears!! If not I will either modify it's path or modify the framing of the pit. I was not even considering that. Bend Pak said make the opening 88" X 42" X 3", no mention of the hose outlet........!!!!!

Any steel in that concrete?

Yes, I laid in a rebar grid that is 12" on center after 4" of concrete was poured.

How thick was your pour?

Bend Pak suggested 4"- 6" thick. I chose to go for the 6" dimension. I used 26, 80 lb. bags of Sakrete rated @ 5000 lbs. per sq. in. at a cost of about $5 per bag.

Did you lag any reinforcement steel into your existing slab before the pour?

No, I was assured it was not required.

Did you adequately compact the dirt before the pour?

Yes I did. I also put in a 4" layer of #1 stone on top of the dirt, about 1/3 of a yard of material.

Did your original slab have any vapor barrier (plastic)? If so, was it replaced under your pour?

No it did not.

Did you have them powder coated?

No, that was the plan, but with the cost involved and my past experience with powdercoat I chose to just paint the frame and slab with a good oil based paint.
    When powdercoating gets gouged or cut it's difficult coating to repair/seal. I figured there would be enough abuse of the steel, so when wanting to "tidy" it up it would be easier and quicker to just brush on the paint. Also the frame can be removed very easily..it just lfts out. The pit area is the same oil based paint.......Rather than a $40 gallon of garage floor paint..........Paint for this project, $10 for a quart with a 1/4 qt. left for touch-up.

Total cost for this project:
    Lift $1699
    Concrete $130
    Steel & Rebar $122
    Paint $10
    Outside Labor $80
    TOTAL: $2041

7. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Kerry
    Once you get it in, could you post some pics of the TR on the lift-I would like to see where the pickup points that you use are.

8. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #8 kerrywittig, Jan 20, 2009
  9. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #9 kerrywittig, Jan 20, 2009
  10. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #10 kerrywittig, Jan 20, 2009
  11. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Absolutely, I plan on "storing" the TR on the lift when not in use for long periods of time when I am away on biz. Figure it will alleviate the tires from flat-spotting and keep the suspension "unloaded".

12. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Some thoughts... I have the same lift and love it...

Can you make some kind of anchor system, so that the car can't fall off the lift? I was thinking about eyebolts in the concrete with chains to each wheel so it can't fall to either side when at the top...

Perhaps some way to anchor the lift physically to the ground...

The lift has a small footprint, and the testarossa is quite tail heavy... Heaven forbid you were under the car and yanked downward on the exhaust, I could see the car flipping backwards. It would take quite some force, but it could happen...

Consider some additional safety measures :).

13. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Crazy things can happen with a car on the hoist. I've seen 2 cars fall off and it's not pretty. One was a Chevette on a single post lift with 4 legs - with the mechanic really tugging on the breaker bar, the car slid part way off, and one of the hoist pads went up through the floor of the car. The other car was a Dodge Aspen on a 2 post lift - somehow the front end slid sideways off the hoist quickly followed by the rear, the car bounced VERY hard on the floor and upon rebounding up in the air, the transmission had broken off the motor and was left laying on the floor, then the car came crashing down on top of it only this time there was no bounce at all, just a solid "thud". These two incidents have left a lasting impression on me and I never take chances with a car up in the air.

Kerry, your doing a terrific job.....and thank you for posting the process. If I was near you I'd be happy to pop over and help out if I could.

14. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    GOOD IDEA - perhaps four simple bolts/ fender washers buried in the pour and then two pieces of c channel across the top of each pair and then very loosely snugged down to the front rotating tube (not the legs that roll forward as the lift goes up).

The loads would likely be relatively low to prevent accidental overturning - unless somebody was truly struck by a case of 'stupid'.

1/2" bolt/ studs should be plenty.

Great Idea - thanks for throwing it out there!

Great ideas too on the rack to hold the accessories.

Perhaps the pit could (next time) be made 5/8" deeper to allow a sheet of plywood to be laid across the top of the lift when it is not in use. It would prevent tripping hazards as you move about the garage. Heck - paint an F-car logo on it! It would effectively make the lift 'disapear'!

Thanks all for this thread - great stuff!

15. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    You can only sink it so far...If more than 3" you would then NOT be able to swing the arms out without them hitting the floor of the garage. Trust me if there was a way to easily sink it lower and cover it................it would have been done.

16. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    Congratulations on great work so far! Oh.... also congrats on having an even scarier Avatar than Robbie!!! Simply hideous!! :eek:

17. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hey Kerry...what happened to the driver's door mirror on your car? Did you remove it....?

18. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig

I am waiting for my new mirror lenses to arrive. I ordered some wide veiw replacement mirror lenses from a company called Multivex in Detroit. They make all the lenses for F1/Indy/Cart etc..
    I'm the first to have TR mirrors done so it will be a couple weeks. Also I have "tuned-up" the remote mirror motors and also have replaced the heating elements for $40. Tinker, tinker, tinker!!

19. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yep....you do tinker a lot. Kerry....you might make some waves here on fchat that occasionally stir up the soggy bottom club, but we ALL benefit from your "outside the box" thinking. It's good to see you back, even if you post only occasionally. I mean, who would have actually gone to the trouble of sourcing wide-view mirrors for the TR, who even thought about it, the mirrors will actually be useful now! Great idea! Remember those TR intake duct sleeves you made - they looked better than the o.e.m. accordian part and worked great. The recent odd relay that you sourced and shared with everyone was very nice. Okay....I could go on, but I wouldn't want your head to get sooooo big and heavy that you need to use your new lift just to stand up. Excellent write up on the lift by the way.

20. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    perhaps raise the lift a few inches before you swing the arms out?

Thanks again for the post!

Rgds,
    Vince

21. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #21 kerrywittig, Jan 28, 2009

Here ya go JayF........a pix of each point. I think I could also use a different point on the rear pick-up locations. ie. use the jack placement points, just as I did in the front. Hope the info and pixs are informative and helpful. If anymore questions, just ask and I will do my best to get ya an answer and/or pix..

By the way, this is fantastic! I now can get to just about any area and start cleaning and refinish items now with ease. This is gonna be a great and worthwhile investment.