I fixed my windows....Cheap | FerrariChat

I fixed my windows....Cheap

Discussion in '308/328' started by Crallscars, Jan 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    I would have preferred to keep my car stock, all original, I have worked hard removing the "shade Tree Mechanics" trails, but I was tired of pulling up and pushing down my windows. As Brian told me, you can go to a junk yard put a half charged battery in any Ford and the windows work.

Here is my cheap fix. I spent about $7

I bought the relays at Parts Express, it takes 4 of them. $1.69 each
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=330-073

A few feet of #12 wire, a few spade and ring lugs, I chose to solder them on for a better connection, then used heat shrink to replace the insulation on the lug. I chose to use Red for the (+) or Hot wire and White for the(-)Neg.

1.The relays are SPDT, use 2 per window.
    2.The NC on both relays contact gets the (-) the NO contact gets the (+).
    3.I connected the motor wires to the wiper position on each relay.
    4.I connected the wires from the up/down switch to one side of the coil on each relay, the other side on both relays I connected to (-) Neg.
    5. I a 20 amp circuit breaker in the fuse area, I then connected the red hot
    (+) wires to a 20 amp circuit breaker connecting the other side to the large battery connector on the fuse block.

Before I started I had 5.7 volts on the window motors, when I finished I had
    11.7 volts.

I can give a better diagram / pictures if someone needs

Doug

2. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
  3. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    I take some tonight

4. rockford

rockford Karting

Jan 23, 2009
    houston, tx
    Full Name:
    rockford woods
  5. cessna

cessna Karting

Dec 4, 2008
    Malta
    Full Name:
    Stephen Grech
    Although my work perfectly, if this is relevant for a F328 GTB, kindly add me to the list of interested guys.
    Thanks.
    [email protected]

Regards,
    Stephen

6. ferrari3.2T

ferrari3.2T Rookie

Nov 22, 2007
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Full Name:
    Charles E Jacobs jr
  7. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    I'll take pictures of my project tonight, and if I can figure out how, I'll add a schematic too and post them tomorrow

8. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
  9. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
  10. magnum

magnum Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2008
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Mine are bad working.

So please, send this precious info and shots also to me at [email protected]
    Good work.

Many thanks!!!

11. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
  12. shawxhurst

shawxhurst Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Steve Hawxhurst
    +1 Mine are bad working too! Hope you can post details or e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks!

13. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
  14. ferrari_rich

ferrari_rich Karting

Oct 1, 2006
    Southampton, NY
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Please post more info and pics if possible. Sounds like there's lots of people interested in this fix for an annoying problem

15. ckracing

ckracing Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Great job Doug. Its nice to have windows working.

Charles

16. vetconstruction

vetconstruction Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Michael A. Whitlow
  17. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Doug,

I think that a Procedure Write Up is necessary here. Heck, you never know....Birdman might pick it up and publish ya!

:)

JIM

18. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    #18 Paul_308, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm quite surprised there are so many cars which haven't been taken care of already. This has to be the most frequent post and deserves it's own list category...slow windows.

Great if you do the window mod, but I'd advise cleaning the old grease out at some point. Adding relays will absolutely speed up the windows but may make the motors work pull too hard.

The drawing below is from my package

Racing-Baker likes this.
  19. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    All this mod does is use the switch that is normally connected directly to the window motor to drive a pair relays instead. the relays then control the motor with power coming directly from the fusebox or even right from the battery (with an additional fuse for safety). It cuts out the resistance and extra wiring associated with the switch itself.

This is a slight improvement over the window accellerators that switch the ground locally however, they are a little more tricky to wire because you need to bring another circuit in from the fusebox.

Now if someone were really clever, they would build/market a nice neat little waterproof box that can mount inside the door and make this mod easy for the non-electrically-inclined to wire.

HINT HINT!

Birdman

20. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    I bought the 'old style' accelerators for my Boxer, cleaned up the caked on gunk, rewound the motors and they honestly were 75% faster. My driver's window was a joke; now it goes up silently and smoothly every time.

This go round, I took the Birdman's (and other's) advice and got Rodney Dickmans versions. Should be in by next weekend and will report. Since I am electrically challenged, I figured the $99 was worth it not to burn my car to the ground. Yet, the solution on this thread for DIYers just shows the great diversity among this crowd. Value everywhere.

21. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Doug,

It would be great if you could post some pictures of the installation/mods. I assume the wiring diagram that was posted is consistent with what you did, so seeing a couple of pics of where you put things, how you wired them, where you ran the wires, would be of great help.

Thanks,
    Steve

frostpinfold likes this.
  22. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    #22 Crallscars, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As promised, here is a step by step of how I cured my slow windows. The schematic in the previos postings is very close to the text below and i would recommend you copy and add to your folder.

**As others have also recommended, if you haven’t cleaned out the old grease from the window motor gear box, that should be the first step in the procedure. It is very important, once this modification is complete, you will provide sufficient voltage/current to damage the window motors from the excess load from hard grease.

Parts required for modification:
    4 relays, 30 AMP DPDT, http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=330-073
    1 20 Amp circuit breaker, a simple automotive breaker with threaded studs and 2 mounting tabs
    10 feet of black or red # 12 fine strand wire, 5 feet of white #12 fine strand wire
    3 feet of black # 16 fine strand wire, 3 feet of white #16 fine strand wire.
    12 Female spade lugs, 2 Male spade lugs, 4 Ring lugs
    Black electrical tape, various tie wraps
    *note, I did not crimp my lugs, I soldered mine on so I also used ¼” heat shrink for insulation

Pre-wiring relay:
    1. Tape 2 relays side by side with electrical tape.

2. Cut a 4 inch #12 red and #12 white wire, strip the ends. Crimp/solder a female spade on only one end of each wire. Strip the end of the long wire and insert it along with the remaining end of the short wire into a female spade lug. Crimp or solder. Install the short red wire from one NO contact on the relay, the other NO contact. Install the short white wire from one NC contact on the relay, the other NC contact.

3. Cut two 8 inch #16 black wires, strip ends. Crimp/solder a female spade on one end and a male spade lung each black wire. Install one short black wire on just one side of the relay coil connection on each relay. Cut one 4 inch and one 15 inch #16 white wire, strip ends. Crimp/solder a female spade lug on one end of the 4 inch wire, insert the other end of the 4 inch and one end of the 15 inch white wire into a female spade lug, crimp/solder. Install a ring connector on the remaining end of the 15 inch white wire, crimp/solder. Install the short white wire from the remaining coil connection on one relay to the same connection on the other relay.

Relay Installation:
    1. Remove the door panel, there are various screws, 2 nuts under the arm rest & mirror control
    2. Remove speaker in door; expose the 2 wires that connect the window motor.
    2a. Route the long end of the red #12 and white #12 through the speaker opening and out through the edge of the door along side the factory wiring into the body of the car. Route the red to the fuse block area, the white will connect later to the large Phillips screw just inside the dash area. Disconnect the 2 wires to the window motors, connect the two #16 black wires from the relays to the harness ends and re-install connector covers. Connect each motor wire to a relay common connector. Loosen the nut on the window guide and connect the white #16 wire.
    2b. Remove fuse panel cover from car; install circuit breaker under convenient mounting screw. Connect a #12 red wire from main power connector module to circuit breaker. Connect the #12 red wire from the new window relay to the circuit breaker. Connect the #12 white wire from the new window relay under convenient large mounting screw.
    2c. Turn on cars ignition, operate window control, note if window goes in the opposite direction, reverse the #16 black wires on the relays.
    2d. Using a tie wrap attach the relays to the large wiring harness in the door, re-install speaker, re-install door panel
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Doug;

Why wouldn't this work on newer models, like the Mondial T series/348's? I am starting to experience window lag now that it's a daily driver, and the top must be up in the rain [ :( ]

rik

24. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    Rick,

I know Brian says these cars won't shrink in the rain....but do you really want to chance it?

Mine stays in when the sun isn't shining, if the 308 gets any smaller, the wife will be the sole driver.

As far as the windows in your car, the way I did it, you can easily return the car back to ''un-touched stock''

25. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I know Brian says these cars won't shrink in the rain....but do you really want to chance it?

Mine stays in when the sun isn't shining, if the 308 gets any smaller, the wife will be the sole driver.

As far as the windows in your car, the way I did it, you can easily return the car back to ''un-touched stock''[/QUOTE]

Shrinkage? No! Bigger is better....seems mine get bigger when driving it [ :\ ]

And don't think you want the wife in the 308, but guess you couldn't get her a LM003, as I heard someone is buying them up, and well, in short supply.