Bumper Trim Repainting | FerrariChat

Bumper Trim Repainting

Discussion in '360/430' started by alex360S, Feb 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Has anyone repainted the front bumper black trim underneath the car? If so, please share what methods and products were used. As we all have experienced, this area gets scraped all too often. Just wanted to spend some time with my car during these boring winter months.

Thanks,

Alex.

2. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I used to touch up mine all the time. You can buy spray cans of some stuff called "Trim Black" at an automotive paint supply house. The problem went away after installing skid pads.

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    paint is satin black

4. fredf355

fredf355 Karting

Nov 1, 2005
    Dallas Texas
    About every 3 months I get out the black magic marker. The exposed white material absorbs the black perfectly, deeply and quickly.

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    #5 RayJohns, Feb 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is what I use for the underside of the 360 in front. Works great to touch up the white scratches that you get when clearing driveways and what not. Dupli-color trim paint.

Most hardware stores or Autozone sell it.

Ray
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    A little OT, but does anyone know what paint to use to touch up the flat black paint in the door jams (of a 430)? Is it a type of undercoating or something? Mine is coming off in a few spots. I don't know why the factory even put it there, there's body colored paint underneath it. TIA

7. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks guys for all the replies. I did get some Satin-finish Black paint but I also decided to get trim primer seeing that I am repainting the whole front bumper trim from end to end. I used a flexible putty to fill in the gaps left from the rubbing, trying to do as perfect a job as I can. I'll try to take some pictures and post soon. Concerning those skid plates, are they really safe? I heard one guy cracked his bumper after the plate hooked onto something. I'm contemplating getting the skid plates but not interested in increasing my chances of damaging my bumper.

8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I personally don't care for the skid plates because they just reduce the clearance. I mean, unless you are going off-roading in your 360, you shouldn't really need them. The front of the 360 has actually pretty decent clearance - especially if you use a 45 degree approach for any big incline or dip. Every now and again you might scratch the black part under there, but it's easy to touch up with a spray can.

I looked into the skid plates when I first purchased my car, but ultimately decided they only created more problems than they really solved. I know some people like them, but I don't think the trade of is worth it.

Ray