Mondial QV Fuel Accumulator | FerrariChat

Mondial QV Fuel Accumulator

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by cockrill, Feb 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    #1 cockrill, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
    Hello:

I replaced the fuel accumulator on my 1984 Mondial QV. While it was a very simple process, I thought that I would outline it here for posterity.

PROBLEM:

When the ignition key was turned to the "on" position (where the fuel lines pressurize, but before the car is started), a single "squirt" of gas would shoot onto the floor from just in front of the rear-passenger wheel. The problem was traced to the fuel accumulator.

SOLUTION:

I ordered a new fuel accumulator from Autohaus Arizona. (https://www.autohausaz.com/) The part number I ordered is 0438170004 and cost $160.44 ($167.76 after UPS Blue shipping). The accumulator arrived a couple of days after the order.

I jacked the rear passenger side of the car and secured the vehicle on jack stands. I removed the rear passenger wheel and the front section of the wheel-well liner. (A philips screwdriver is required to remove the wheel-well liner.) The accumulator is clamped to the car's chassis. I loosened the clamp using needle nose pliers. (The nut on the clam is square and I had no sockets that fit.)

There are two braided fuel lines connected to the accumulator. A 14mm wrench and 17mm wrench is required to remove the lines. (I'm going off of memory here, but I think that is correct.) The smaller wrench will be used on the accumulator itself, and the larger wrench on the fuel line connector. It was a fairly simple matter to remove the lines, although fuel will drip out of the lines and accumulator, so be prepared. You can minimize the fuel dripping on the floor by not tipping the accumulator over and immediately throwing it into a plastic bag.

Installing the new accumulator is simply the reverse of removing the old one. The entire process took me an hour or so, and no more squirts!

--Jeremy

p.s. Thanks go out to "snj5" and "fastradio" for helping me identify the faulty component!

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    That's great info Jeremy. Now a keyword search for this problem results in a solution.