Euro Grill Dimensions for 85 QV | FerrariChat

Euro Grill Dimensions for 85 QV

Discussion in '308/328' started by Johndahl, Mar 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Johndahl

Johndahl Karting

Jan 31, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Does anyone have a template for the vertical and horizontal bars of the QV Euro Grill? I really don't want to trade one of my body limbs to purchase one of these so I think I will try to make one.

If no one has a template, would someone be so kind at to give me some measurements and close up picks.....or make a template :)

BTW, this grill has the 4 horizontal bars, lower 3 are all same length and upper is a bit shorter. There are 7 vertical bars. All look similar except for the bracket locations.

This would be a great resource if we could get this template posted for use by everyone who can then take it to a fab shop!

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i have a euro 308 gtb Qv and i will be happy to measure mine for you.

3. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #3 thecarreaper, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    turned off alarm, opened shop, uncovered car...... :)

the bottom 3 slats measure 35 1/2 inches long, using slats that are 1 1/2 inches wide.

top slat is 30 inches long, completing the 4 horizontal pieces.

vertical slats are 5 1/2 inches tall.

spacing of the vertical slats is 4 3/4 apart.

first vertical slat is 3 1/2 inches from the end of the part, hence the 4 3/4 spacing.

i checked and measured 17 3/4 inches from the end to the center post where my horsie is mounted on my center grill post.

if you make one of these, let me know how much you would sell one for, even if my car sells i am sure i will have a few more 308's. and i have a ton of spare parts i am sitting on for my future use ! :)

hope this helps,

Michael
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    +2 John please provide me with the cost you come up with as well.

5. Johndahl

Johndahl Karting

Jan 31, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    #5 Johndahl, Mar 2, 2009
    Michael, That helps out a bunch!

I will try to estimate the cost to make and post when I have it.

The verticals look to be the tricky ones here! They are cut at an angle. Will you bare with me for an experiment.....

Can you take a ruler and place flat on one of the horizontal pieces. Then take a protractor and measure the angle from vertical (or from horizontal) of the piece (see diagram). I am also showing 5.5 inches along the vertical (not actually the vertical dimension)...please verify this is how you measured. Could you also provide the spacing between the horizontal slats and a reference measurement of the bottom or top slat to the bottom or top vertical piece. Thanks!

It looks like the grill is completly flat once assembled. Correct? All flat cuts on top and bottom of vertical pieces? Horizontal pieces look like they have 45 deg cuts to shape edges.

I really appreciate you uncovering it again :)

John

6. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    sorry, i have been tied up with work. i will get some measurements for you in the next day or two.

glad to help,

Michael

7. Johndahl

Johndahl Karting

Jan 31, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    No Prob. Thanks.

I have been continuing my research on this. From what I can tell, it looks like the grill may have some curve to it like my US grill in order to conform to the valence opening. My current plan of attack will be to use one of the horizontal slats from my US grill to trace the template for the horizontals of the euro. I will just shorten them so the fog lights will fit on either side (to your prior measurements). The verticals should be straight forward once I have the angle. The other part on the verticals is the fold over tabs (3 total).

Once the pieces are cut, assembly will be easy. I'm thinking of powder coating with silver color for a nice clean look. Other option is anodize following a powder blast(or bead depending on finish).

I can make some extras. I figure that they would be about $500 / grill. I plan to sub out to a water jet shop to cut pieces out. Keep in mind, may not be exact to a Euro QV grill, but should be really close. That is what i'm going for anyway. No horsie included.

Measurements still needed:
    Angle of vert and spacing of horizontal bars (see picture above).
    A measure of the amount of curvature (maybe a string across back and measure dist from string to center vertical). That way I can make sure this is as close to the real deal as possible.

thanks again

8. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i am willing to take my grill out of the car, and will get some better shots for you.

things are really rough at work, 15% layoffs announced this week. i am in R&D again, so i should be ok, for now . i have been really busy, and very stressed, so it may be the weekend before i can touch the car.

9. Johndahl

Johndahl Karting

Jan 31, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    No worries. I appreciate it. Doesn't sound fun but I think you echo what is happening to quite a few of us, including me. I'm trying to take 1 day at a time. Things like this site have been wonderful to help keep mind mind from spinning out of control.

10. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    checking back on this thread - I'm very interested in replacing my US front bumper with a fiberglass Euro version.

If assembly would add more than $100 I'd prefer to do the welding myself, should save a bit on shipping as well.

salud
    Kurt

11. Johndahl

Johndahl Karting

Jan 31, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    A few ways to achieve the "Euro" look.

1) Drill out shocks for US brackets and push bumper in. Still have US Bumper but more of euro profile from side view.

2) Buy aftermarket brackets that achieve the same as above (call John at MACARBON).

3) If you want Euro Bumper with out US Buckteeth look, then fiberglass aftermarket bumper can run $400+ and only slight bracket fab needed to get to fit US brackets. I'll let you know for sure since I will be doing this in about 1 month. Keep in mind, if you change the bumper to Euro, the grill should also be changed as well as passing lights (fog lights) to get the entire front hole filled. Also paint or rubber coating on the bumper. So it does have a bit of a trickle down effect. I'm will be making a Euro QV Grill for mine since the replacement is so expensive.

Cheapest way by far is #1 if you are ok with the look of the US bumper.

12. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    John.....any further along with the Euro grille???? I just PM'd you.

13. Johndahl

Johndahl Karting

Jan 31, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm final stages of gathering info and making templates to make sure it is correct. Made a foam core template from the info I had and some measurements from my old gril. Came out pretty close but needs a few tweaks. Check your PM.

14. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    thanks, but the mounts where the bumper attaches to the posts is pretty mangles on my QV, plus getting rid of ~40lbs on the tip of the nose sounds good to me.

Where do you plan to purchase your fiberglass Euro bumper?

I really wouldn't mind ditching the front bumper alltogether and replacing the slotted grille with one large enough to fill up the whole opening as has the gold GTB I posted some pics of, but don't really have the tools to cut/mill/weld aluminum at my disposal right now.

Kurt

15. Johndahl

Johndahl Karting

Jan 31, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I got my Euro Bumper from RennSpeed on EBay. They have some on there now last I looked. The one they sell is threaded so you would have to use bolts into the bumper rather then the other way around (US bumper has bolts imbeded). If you need new brackets, I would suggest MAcarbon ([email protected]). Like I said before, only slight easy mod expected to get the Euro to US bracket mount.

I'm not brave enough to stray from what Ferrari intended on the grill. It can obviously be done as you can see in the pics before. :)

16. Johndahl

Johndahl Karting

Jan 31, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Update on Progress:

I have the grill in CAD so i'm on my way to the CNC Water Jet shop to get a bid. Should turn out very nice. Hopefully the price will be reasonable. I do plan on making multiple copies if anyone is interested.

Keep in mind this is the QV Euro grill and not the 2V Euro grill like Newman has done (a great job at that).

Let me know if you have an interest.

17. regisgtb4

regisgtb4 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 20, 2007
    tx
    Full Name:
    willis
    Making sammies into euro is a most admirable pursuit,you will be very busy for a long time,FORZA,grazie

18. Johndahl

Johndahl Karting

Jan 31, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    You learn a lot about the car in the process. It has been really interesting and fun.

I will basically end up with a euro front on a us QV. should be exactly what I want.

19. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    John,

You know I'm interested

20. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Interested.

Would it be difficult to have the grille stretch the entire width of the opening for those not planning on installing aux lights?

I'm actually leaning towards losing the bumper alltogether, since ~$500 for a fiberglass bumper that doesn't serve any function other than appearance doesn't appeal, but I'm assuming adding 2 or three more horziontal slats to your design isn't in the plans, or?

thanks for the work, looking forward to a price.

Kurt

21. Johndahl

Johndahl Karting

Jan 31, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Got the quotes back for production of the QV Euro Grill. Will be trying to get a batch in by the end of the month. I've PM'd those who have expressed interest. Anyone else, PM me and let me know.

Thanks,

John

22. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    good work. thank you for keeping us posted. i am still interested in one.

Michael

23. Johndahl

Johndahl Karting

Jan 31, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    #23 Johndahl, May 1, 2009
  24. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    beautiful !

looking forward to mine!

i hope others take advantage of this.

perhaps you can call T Rutlands and GT CarParts and see if they would buy some from you.

25. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    John,
    The grill is perfect! Looks as good if not better than the original. Will post pics as soon as I get time to finish install. Can't believe I left those big USA bumpers & small grill on so long. Definetly a must do mod in my opinion. Car now looks like Pinninfarina intended.
    Thanks for fabbing them
    Bill