Buyer's Advice | FerrariChat

Buyer's Advice

Discussion in '206/246' started by Desirider, Mar 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Desirider

Desirider Rookie

May 2, 2008
    Danville
    Full Name:
    Dee Dhaliwal
    I have been considering a Dino for quite some time now, and have decided that now is the time to start my search. I have come across a Dino that is close to my home, and figured that would be a good place to start, Is anyone familiar with this particular veihcle - the S/N # is not listed, but I know that there are a lot of F-chatters here is the Bay Area. Any information is helpful. Thanks for you time. The ebay item number is: 260361483371

2. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #2 SonomaRik, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
    Palo Alto is very close to you [about 30 miles] it should be an easy view. Go there offer for a PPI locally and good to go.

rik

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Serial # 03064

4. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
    If in fact it is 03064 (hard for me to make out the second to last digit), I was the original owner in the 70s. I bought it from LeMans Motors in Denver (distributor: Modern Classic Motors). It was Rosso Bordeaux which from the photos looks to have been changed. It also had a black interior. Only owned it for a few years, but there are records of it on the Dino Register to 91. During my tenure there were no issues/problems/damage. It did not have headlamp covers. My eyes aren't the best, but the front turn signals look european. Can't make out what's in there now, but new the radio was my choice (maybe a Panasonic cassette deck which could record and came with a suction cup mounted mic.......I used to stick it out the window and record the symphony of my exhaust). I had only the original factory speakers, but there are obviously aftermarket speakers installed now (pity). If you should end up buying this car, please pm me and I'll give you another interesting piece of information (which would in no way affect your decision to purchase). Good luck in your quest.

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    We're all family here....

SPILL!

6. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Not to derail the thread, but did some Dinos come from the factory with speakers? I was not aware of that fact, and mine certainly did not.

7. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
  8. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Just regarding the whereabouts of the original warranty card.

9. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Interesting question. My only choice when I purchased 03064 new was the type of radio I wanted (arrived with a mouse hair covered blank) and antenna. I never had to choose speakers, and as memory serves me they came installed behind the circular perforation area in each door panel on new Dinos, but I could be mistaken. Certainly was not the case with yours. Perhaps they were something the distributor installed (Modern Classic Motors for that car), but I doubt it.

10. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    My '74 GTS had Ducelier speakers. Don't know if they were original.

11. Desirider

Desirider Rookie

May 2, 2008
    Danville
    Full Name:
    Dee Dhaliwal
    Hey Guys - Thanks for all your help on this vehicle, but I decided to pass on it.

12. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Interesting. My car might have had the perforations in the door panels (but no speakers), but soon after my father bought it he had a Blaupunkt AM-FM cassette installed, and with it a pair of Blaupunkt speakers, which required cutting away the door panels. He had the set-up for a few years, but everything was stolen while the car was in transit from Europe to the US in the late 70s.

13. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

would love to know where it is. i own 03064

14. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    Hey Guys
    I have oscillating to buy a 246 for a long time. The market has pulled back somewhat since last year.

I am not sure where the Dino market if headed. Now that the British Pound at an all time low and the Euro also really low. It leaves US buyers only for the most part.

I have a lead on a European Version 246GT getting restored at shop. They will be asking
    275-285K. If the engine, brakes, suspension all the basics checks out. I am wondering if this is a buy now or hold off and wait to see what this market will do?

15. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Ice I bout a 246GT a few weeks ago, I paid a tad more than the one your talking about.
    Having said that I wouldn't buy a Dino for an investment purpose, Id buy one because its a car you love and will keep for a while and enjoy.

Having said that I dont think the good ones will come down that much, nor will sellers down their prices.....they will simply hold and wait until the market rebounds.