Who has the best knock-off remover? | FerrariChat

Who has the best knock-off remover?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Daryl, Jul 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    I'm looking for the best tool for loosening/tightening 3-eared knock-offs without the traditional bashing of the lead hammer. Anyone have suggestions for the best tool and source? Thanks.

2. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Hi, Daryl - I know I'll get crucified for this but I've used ONLY a lead hammer to remove the knock-offs on my car (330 GTC) - for the last 28 year as a matter of fact. Since I've put over 100,000 miles on it, you can bet that the wheels have been off and on MANY times. The knock-offs are like brand new.
    When I had my restoration business, I actually restored knock-offs by rebuilding them with weldment and then chroming. All the ones that were damaged were done so by brass or copper hammers.
    For what it's worth.
    Bob Z

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  4. Colin Angell

Colin Angell Karting

Jun 17, 2004
    Hi Daryl, I have a 365 GTC and I have in the past made up my own lead mallet by removing rawhide from a Thor hammer and casting in a lead head, but I now use a rubber faced dead-blow hammer which is filled with lead shot. It weighs about 2.5 lbs and is a really good bit of kit. I never leave home without it.

Colin Angell

ps You can melt lead in a saucepan, but it's a bugger to wash up afterwards!

5. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Colin - that's exactly what I've been doing for years. Works perfectly, has never damaged a knock-off. I recast it when it mushrooms out.
    I'm sure the torque wrench and adapters work well but the hammer is quick and positive. Also, a lot more compact.
    Bob Z

6. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    I had always used lead hammers on Dunlop wire spoked wheels, but that's because the Dunlop spinners stand quite proud of the rims, and Dunlop wheels on Jags, etc. are all steel. In the case of the 6.5 and 7.0 Borranis, however, the spinners are quite recessed, so the concern is not so much damaging the spinners, rather it is denting the aluminum rims.

After hitting the rim once or twice I wondered if there would be a better way than the brute force of the hammer. At the time I didn't know there were knock-on tools on the market, and I set out to make something that would resemble a socket. What I ended up with was a foot-long piece of four-inch diameter aluminum pipe with notches at one end to fit over the spinner, and through holes at the other end where a lever bar (a piece of 3/4 inch pipe) would go through. It works perfectly. I slip a rag over the spinner before slipping on the "socket" to avaid marring the chrome plating of the spinner.

john

7. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    I use the tool from Stainless Steel Braking Co. Works great.

8. catman60957

catman60957 Rookie

Feb 20, 2004
    Paxton, Il
    Full Name:
    Tim Lewis
  9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    This is the tool they developed for me. It works on my Lola, MK-IV, and P3/4.
    It's very trick.

10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Napolis,
    With the 3 "bent ear" knock offs, will that tool remove AND tighten the knock offs?
    TIA

11. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Here another view of Napolis' knockoff tool (hope you dont mind Jim).

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Yes and it imparts the correct amount of force very easily without too much force. The non marring Delrin head which also comes in black works on all my cars and they can custom fab it to work on any knockoff. The sprint car guys use this tool and it's super.

13. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    Thanks for the input everyone. It looks as though I'm gonna have a new "favorite tool". I'm calling Custom Fab and Welding in the morning to have them make up a unit for my old Lamborghini.

14. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Well all this makes the Ball Peen and the 2x2 piece of oak that I use pretty sad.

15. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    A ball peen hammer? Really?

16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Maybe if enough people are interested, we can get a group buy discount.

17. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

If anybody is interested I am offering my official Ball Peen and oak 2x2 system in a leatherette bag for only $250. It is really a vintage look, and this is how it was done in the old days!

18. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The one from Stainless Stell Brakes has a built in torque wrench so you can tighten them enough, but not too much.

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I will have mine at Monterey for those who wish to see it.