Installation Overview: Scuderia Rampante connector kit for the 348 | FerrariChat

Installation Overview: Scuderia Rampante connector kit for the 348

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 3forty8, Mar 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #1 3forty8, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 348 is known for electrical gremlins, and my 1992 348ts with the Motronic 2.7 system is no exception. In the three years I have owned it, I have devoted a considerable amount of time tracking down and attempting to rectify intermittent problems that have caused issues ranging from poor idle, running rich, stalling and having a bank cut out occasionally.

About a month ago I came across some posts from 355 owners who had installed Dave Helms’ test kits and they were impressed with the way in which the kits resolved several issues related to the electronic control system. I contacted Dave inquiring about the kit, and I think it is fair to say I was somewhat skeptical about what the kit could deliver and Dave wasn’t confident I was the right person to test the kit on a 348. Perhaps against his better judgment, Dave sent me a test kit – and here is the good, the bad and the ugly on it.

The purpose of the kit is to replace the existing connectors and boots in the wiring loom with gold plated connectors and boots that fit more snugly than the OEM versions. The rationale is that the Motronic system is looking for very precise inputs from the sensors, and over time as the tolerance of the pins degrades and build-up occurs on the connector surfaces performance suffers as a result. The kit is simple to install for anyone of reasonable technical ability, but it is not easy to install. It requires patience and a significant amount of time to do the job correctly.

Each connector needs the boot pushed back, color and position of wires noted, wires cut, pins removed from the connector, connector thoroughly cleaned, old boot removed, new boot installed, wires in loom stripped, wire ends in loom thoroughly cleaned, new pins crimped onto wires, new pins inserted back into connector, boot slid back onto connector, pins on sensor thoroughly cleaned and then the connector placed back onto the sensor. I replaced the following connector pins on my car:

Crank sensors (x2);
    Idle air motors (x2);
    Throttle potentiometers (x2);
    MAF sensors (x2);
    Fuel injectors (x8);
    Coolant temp sensors (x2) (third coolant temp sensor is not an AMP connector);
    O2 sensors (x2);
    Igniters (x2);
    Coils (x2);
    Phase sensor (x1)

Since installing the kit I have placed roughly 1,000 miles on the vehicle in a variety of weather conditions and driving styles. On a subjective level, the car feels more alive - snappier as if it has more torque. In hindsight a before and after dyno would have been prudent, but this was not a result I expected to see and did not plan to measure for it. So on to some measurable results:

1. Check engine lights: Not one since installing the kit; this is some kind of a record for me. I could always count on at least a phase sensor error code every few hundred miles (despite replacing the phase sensor in the past).

2. Idle: Prior to kit installation my idle was always a little high (1,200 – 1,300 RPM) when the car was warmed up. I have adjusted and cleaned the idle air bypass in the past without an improvement. Once the kit was installed it has reduced to a little under 1,000 RPM and doesn’t fluctuate as it used to.

3. Stalling: Prior to the kit install I would occasionally have the car stall when decelerating quickly to a stop. This has not occurred since.

4. Hot starts: This was a surprising result. In the past, after running my car for 30+ minutes and then shutting down for about 5 minutes, the car would be difficult to start and require several attempts. It now starts immediately on the first attempt, cold or hot.

5. No more bank cutting out: It just doesn’t anymore – period.

The Good: Car is much better behaved while cruising, and feels like it has more punch at the limit. Feel confident going for long drives with the absence of check engine lights, stalling and other gremlins that are now a thing of the past.

The Bad: The kit took longer to install than I anticipated. Some parts of the wiring loom, for example the wiring to the fuel injectors, leaves no margin for error when cutting back the wire and stripping it to install the new connector.

The Ugly: I wish I had known about Dave's kit sooner - would have saved me a lot of grief troubleshooting things and several bucks on sensors I didn't need.

Following is a pictorial installing the connector pins on the 1/4 bank throttle potentiometer:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Eric, I am glad you discovered Dave Helms kit. Dave has created some amazing solutions for us and we need others to discover them so that they also can have many miles of worry free driving.

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Eric,

I did not know you had these problems. If you asked me I would have told you that there is no doubt in my mind Dave is right on. He is a thinker not a salesman. I had early similar problems with my 348 with no Helms solution in the late ninties so instead my car became a racecar. I got similar results to you but not by making the electronics better but by making the electronics less. Somehow I also found I had a snappier more lively motor a that never gave a warning light due to my totally gutted out every single wire in my racecar except the absolute minimum to make the engine run. The only non-essential wiring I had was brake lights and a starter motor. I even took out the ignition switch for a simple push button. Somehow the total electrical load effects these cars in a negative way. Obviously my solution is not possible for a streetcar but it is another datapoint. I do not know if the Helms kit has the two fuel injection half turn round connectors on each side of the oil filter but that is also a problematic connection for electronics to the fuel rail. If that is not in the Helms kit mention those connectors to Dave.

4. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I agree; in talking with Dave over the last month I have come to realize he has a lot of solutions available for some of the most common problems. The main difficulty with a kit like this is to quantify the benefits - it is somewhat a case of "You don't know until you have tried it." These kits are basically for internal use at his shop but I do hope it becomes more widely available.

The issues in my case were so sparodic in nature it was really difficult (for me) to get a handle on it. Hindsight is 20/20 - after Dave explained what occurs it makes all the sense in the world to me now. Bottom line is I am enjoying my car all over again - just got back from over 900 flawless, worry free miles on the Pauper's Run to Vegas and loved every minute of it.

Brocco likes this.
  5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Nice work Eric! :):)

How much for Dave's 'kit'? :):)

6. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm not sure what the retail is going to be (or if it will be offered retail) but Dave has floated some numbers around that sound very reasonable. Part of the tests going on right now are to determine what the essential components are for each model which will have a bearing on the cost. The DIY kit would include all the necessary tools to do the job properly - maybe Dave can chime in with a ballpark number.

I know that's a "non-answer" but I'm still waiting on some 5 & 6 pin boot covers to wrap it up and then settle with Dave on the price - so I honestly don't know at this point!

7. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    No problems mate, thanks for that. :):)

We will see if Dave lets us know. :):)

8. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Dave Helms is a genius.

9. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    No...

He is something far better and more special than that.

He is an experienced, talented, and HONEST technician and business owner who also truly "gives a damn" about what he does and about his reputation ---- an increasing rarity in the Ferrari service community!

Brocco likes this.
  10. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Sounds a lot like Tome Jones and Steve Barney to me.

Oh and Eric, love your OP. It almost makes me think I could do it myself.....

11. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    You're right.

My original accolade was understated.

12. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Great write-up and install pics Eric

This kit is very easy to install with Dave's tool kit. You must pay attention to what you're doing and it's going to take you more than a couple of hours to do....

IF you follow the instructions, I've found absolutely no problems with the installation on the 355...easy enough for a caveman to do..lol

As for the results??? Well,...if you were sensitive and observant of how your car was before the install and the results after, you will be more than pleased and some of the best money spent especially on an aging vehicle.

Brocco likes this.
  13. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #13 davehelms, Mar 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Eric was brilliant in the approach he took with his install and a vast amount of knowledge was gained because of his approach. Folks have no idea from Eric's short post how much extra time he took to quantify his results and his skepticism is exactly what I was looking for. Having someone that expects given results prior to even doing the install has marginal benefit to me from a product tester view point. Because of Eric's extraordinary efforts the kit is now available for the 348's

One for the books that didn't even show a CEL issue yet....but for how long and how accurate was the data stream to the Motronic ECU? I have not even driven the car yet but I will make a bet it has a seat of the pants change in driveabilty in one way or another, yet no CEL.

Gold is not an option for the 5.2 MAF sensor connectors....yet. I'm in the process of having them plated now, of course I waited to do this until Gold is at a high! The newest addition to the pieces being stocked are Gold Connectors, both male and female, for the rectangular main harness and F1 harness plugs in the engine bay on the 355's. After a serious PITA chase the 6 and 7 terminal boots are now in stock as well.

The kit will not fix a flat tire but what it does, it does well. Once the install is done is the time to adjust all other parameters via readings at the ECU, ie..TPS, 2.5/2.7 MAF's..... as it appears a good many of these have been adjusted to work around an issue rather than dealing with the initial base cause.

14. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Those are not in the kit, but they look like the same style of pin connector (not the plastic body, just the metal pins themsleves) as the 355 5.2 MAF pins Dave posted above - so maybe that will be an option in the future when he gets the 5.2 MAF sorted out.

15. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Trust me, if I can manage to do it... this is a DIY project. Time and patience are the keys to doing it succesfully.

16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Eric,

Is the helm's kit just the pins and tools or does it also have new boots and connector plastic housings that fit tighter than OEM?

17. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Dave is installing some gold connectors on my F40 right now to solve an intermittent stumble during idle. I'm very anxious to test the results.

18. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #18 3forty8, Mar 31, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
    New boots, but not new plastic connector housings. The connector housings can be cleaned thoroughly once the terminals are removed, and Dave is trying to keep the cost of the kit reasonable. In addition to the terminals and boots, the tools he provides makes the installation almost fool proof: Crimper for the terminals, aluminum sleeves to stretch the boots onto the wiring loom, wire stripper/cutter, pin removal tools (single and double prong), variety of brushes for cleaning wire, pins and housings, hemostat and dental pick.

The terminals are tighter than the OEM, and once installed the connector snaps into place and fits more securely than before. Unless a housing was cracked/damaged it should not need to be replaced.

19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Eric,

This sounds good. I think there could be some universality to the Helms kit. Maybe Dave could sell a short version of the kit with pins and tools that would be applicable to other Ferrari MAP sensors, O2 sensors and the like. Poor connections while prevalant in the 348/355 are also in the 550/360 etc...

20. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #20 davehelms, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
    The 550 kit will be worked out when the next one comes in the shop. That will require a little effort as I have to use different boots for the injectors as the fit is so restricted but every one of those is bad...heck, they were bad when the cars were still under warranty!

There are so many slight variations from model to model and then again 2.5 vs 2.7 vs 5.2....its a logistic nightmare but we keep plugging away. Each time I set out to identify a new connector it requires ordering hundreds of each variation and then one has to be chosen as the "Best" one. In the case of the 5.2 MAF Sensor connectors, the best one is not Gold Plated and I am having that done after I purchase them and of course I waited to do this until the price of Gold was really high... The release tools are not easily located and when they are they cost stupid money so I am having to manufacture those..... It is a daunting task but one I have decided to follow through on with each model as this has come of time and is required if we are to keep these cars running properly. I look back to the problems we have been dealing with over the years and can now see where I dropped the ball years ago. One owner of a 94GTB will be getting the install for free when his engine next comes out...I owe him that because I now understand what I was chasing and why.

I have worked out the TR kit last week because I had one in the shop where the igniter terminals were green as the dickens with a fine growth of fur and the car had an intermitant no start condition. Do one plug or do the whole car? I did both igniters and left the rest as the budget only allowed for that. Eric defined what the 348 kit will include, variations of that will cover the Mondial T's yet those require additional connectors due to common problems I have identified. Another owner that installed the kit is working on all of the 355 F1 to identify what is needed there. I have now located and verified the connectors, both male and female in Gold on the rectangular plugs for the car harness to engine and the F1 trans to car on the 355's.... Make no mistake, this is only coming together because of a great many owners pitching in to help me exactly like Eric and Dave did. Heck, there is even a VERY generous FChatter friend that patented it for me. If I factored my time investment into the kit cost no mear mortal could afford it and thats not what this is all about. Yes, I have a "For Profit business", Kris has to keep reminding me about that but I am trying my best to control the costs. Doing this on the small scale that this market demands does have its challenges to all of us trying to design improvements, dont even get me started on the fuel system components, that battle is in full swing with more meetings scheduled for today and tomorrow!!!!

The 360's represent a whole different set of challenges and require completely different approach and contacts due to the Micro Mini technology used in that model. I stated on that project years ago and there are a number of issues I now understand that require redesign. Thank goodness I have an entire notebook full of notes on the 360 problems and my findings. I expected to follow through on that but there were other fires to put out at the time...I will get back to that when time permits. Simply put I focus on what is in the shop at the time. I had terrible troubles with a 95 2.7 355B and a Mondial T coupe and that is where this whole concept started. Based on the results of those two I moved on to a couple of other models and again the results were terrific....tried it on the F40's..... If you can feel a change seat of the pants, then you really have something. I can and I do and am just too damn stubborn to give up on a problem.

Doing a short kit will only assure failure of the concept as who chooses what kit and why.... next thing I would read is the damn thing doesnt work, it made no difference on my car.... Did you do the whole system or just the ones that were easy to reach? You can see where that would go, no good can come of that. As it sits, this project is not for everyone, it requires a good deal of patience and effort to assure it is done correctly and that positive results are obtained. Anything less than perfection on the install and it isnt worth the effort. In a great many instances this is a project best left for a technician that knows the system and has the focus and want to see the project through to its proper completion. For some very focused owners it is a rewarding (said with a smile, like beating ones head against the wall because it feels good to stop) experiance.

Brocco likes this.
  21. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Well Dave,

My 550 works fine but maybe I don't know what I am missing. So if you need a 550 guinee pig I'm your guy and I'll be glad to pay for parts. My current project is messing with the 550 exhaust...it is too quiet.

22. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    I might take you up on that, nothing like a well driven subject as a test mule . I am having a hard time right now identifing a few contacts to expand one of the current kits and am too damn stubborn to know when to quit. Once that headache is past I will be looking forward to the next challenge. I have to complete this before the weather breaks as at that point Kris' foot will come down hard.... she still thinks a business owner should have a real life.... no idea where she came up with that. I think I will blame Bruce...ya, its his fault, he isnt here to defend himself.

Look at Troy's offerings, very well thought out and executed.

23. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Why not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You blame me for everything else that goes wrong.......I'll defend myself as soon as I can get Maule Aircraft to loan me a plane for a trip to Boulder. If you think those 355 head nuts are a pita just wait until I show up in person.

BTY..I eat 9MM rounds for breakfast..lol

24. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Tell them to write the plane off if it comes this way. I am purposely staying clear of them...if I touched one it would be all over and I would have some splain'in to do with the Boss.

Spoken like a true Texan...or Georgian.... or where ever it is you hail from. Come on over, neither of us are getting anything done on our own cars!

25. hacker-pschorr

hacker-pschorr Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Land of Lambeau
    #25 hacker-pschorr, Apr 3, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
    This is single handedly one of the best offerings for a late model vintage car I have ever seen. Too many people ignore and over look basic electrical issues.

Over in the Porsche foums we constantly have people posting strange intermittent problems. Suggestons like cleaning the electrical contacts, checking grounds etc... usually fall on deaf ears.
    It seams people would rather replace some very expensive parts versus some good clean up work.

From now on, I'm sending people links to this thread. :)

The cars I work on go back to 1978, so take your worst 355/348 plug and add 10+ years of corrosion!

Brocco likes this.