3-Days In With 2004 360 and Ugh . . Check Engine Light! | FerrariChat

3-Days In With 2004 360 and Ugh . . Check Engine Light!

Discussion in '360/430' started by Barrister, Mar 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Barrister

Barrister Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2008
    The OC
    Full Name:
    "Big D"
    So, I am driving my 2004 360 Modena coupe that I picked up 3-days ago and after we eat lunch I open up the back to show my friends the engine, etc. When I get back in and start the car the check engine light is on! The car was not running hot, there were no odd smells and no leaking fluids. The car started up normally. I drove it to drop off my friend at his office a few blocks away. The check engine light stayed on. When I parked I got out the manual and it said that if the check engine light stays on it means that the exhaust system or ignition injection system might have failed and that the car should be towed to the nearest service center!!! WTF?!

So I call the salesman at the dealer that sold me the car and ask what is up. He says that they check engine light comes on often for simple things as well - such as not tightening the gas cap enough. I tightened the gas cap, re-closed the back, let her sit for about 10 minutes and then restarted. The darn light was still on. So I call the salesman back again. He says that I should drive it and the light will likely go off. I didn't like the sound of that one bit. So he said to drive it in and they would check it out. The car is due for the 5-year service any way - completing the service was part of the deal I struck for the car. I drive about 10 miles to the dealer. The car is running perfectly. I kept the RPMs down but had to crank it up a bit to change lanes a couple of times (OC freeways - ARRGH!) and it ran like a sewing maching and at normal temperature.

When I got to the dealer the salesman reset the car with the switch under the hood. The check engine light went off and did not come back on again. The car is now in for the 5-year service until Friday. The technician and the saleman don't think anything is wrong with the car. I guess I will find out when they get into it.

What do you guys think? Is the check engine light a common thing? Should I be more concerned?

Thanks in advance for reading this long post and dealing with my stress.

2. tiger 6

tiger 6 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    virginia
    Full Name:
    Stephen C Darrah
    Before re-setting[cancelling] the CE light, did the salesman check to see what code was being thrown? I believe this has to be done before the code can be cancelled and the light shut off. They should have told you what the code indicated and if this was a serious issue or not.

3. Barrister

Barrister Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2008
    The OC
    Full Name:
    "Big D"
    He said the technician looked at it and reset it. I didn't ask about the code. I will follow-up and see.

The tech said that if the check engine light were coming on for something serious, I would know it while driving - something wouldn't be right. He seemed like he knew what he was talking about. The owner of the dealership came over to shake my hand and said that it is a common occurrence with his Ferraris as well and that the light will always turn off after a few miles or after about 8 cycles of off and on.

I knew that owning a Ferrari would be like getting married. But I didn't expect marital problems this soon! :)

4. mikebrinda

mikebrinda Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 21, 2008
    #4 mikebrinda, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
    When engine operation does not reconcile with what the ECU is programed to expect you get a check engine light. For example, an oxygen sensor intermittently fails, or exhaust gas content is outside of specs--- which could be anything from an injector to hairline exhaust manifold crack. The light went on for a reason and the error code is the clue as to where to start troubleshooting. Sometimes a reset is all you can do because the component failure remains intermittent. But eventually the part will fail and the reason for the alert can be found.

Mike

5. Barrister

Barrister Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2008
    The OC
    Full Name:
    "Big D"
    That doesn't sound good . . .

6. LABrit

LABrit Karting

Aug 13, 2006
    Los Angeles
    It should be fine Dana, especially since it's going in for the service. Glad you'll be getting it back in a timely manner.

7. Barrister

Barrister Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2008
    The OC
    Full Name:
    "Big D"
    Thanks Josh. I sure hope so. The dealer said that he sees it all the time and that it would not be a problem.

I can deal with a repair. What I hate is not knowing if there is a problem and wondering if I am going to get stranded.

I should have the car back on Friday - hopefully fit as a fiddle.

8. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    Dana...a CEL is kinda like sex....you never forget your first one!!

Really dont think it will be a big deal.

If you do a search here, you will notice a ton of reasons for the CEL to come on...

Ive had 1-360....1-TR....and 1-Stradale (still have the CS...its a keeper) all have had the CEL pop on at one time or another.

PS..congrats on your 360 she's a beaut!!

feel free to PM me and i will help you out the best i can....

NOTE!!! i have ZERO mechanical knowledge or Ability!! but am a good listener.

9. CS 4 ME

CS 4 ME Rookie

Mar 1, 2008
    Allen, Tx
    Does the car have after market exhaust? If so that could cause the light to come on after the dealer reseting.

10. Barrister

Barrister Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2008
    The OC
    Full Name:
    "Big D"
    Everything on the car is stock.

The best advice comes from other owners - technical ability or not. :)

11. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    When this happened to me, my car was 3 days old also. Reason: Battery was low because it had sat for so long. Mine was due for oil change so they swaped out the battery and all was fine.

12. In Transit

In Transit Rookie

Apr 6, 2008
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Full Name:
    'Dre
    Dana keep us posted. I want to see that car in person.
    Andre

13. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    No reason to get upset, the salesman is being honest. He should not assume that the car is perfectly fine, the code should be read but he's probably right. For future reference you can buy an OBDII code reader for $50-150 off eBay and read your own codes. 90% of the time it's a gas cap code or another simple code that will not come back.

Your car is more than likely fine if you don't notice any differences in driving.

I own a smaller used car lot and it amazes me how ignorant the general public is on check engine lights, people pay hundreds of dollars in diagnostic fees when they could just spend 2 minutes plugging an OBDII scanner in to figure out what it is on their own.

14. Motorsport

Motorsport Rookie

May 15, 2008
    dana keep us posted. and please let us know how much the bill was.

i made a thread about maintenace and repair cost. I just want to see how much it would cost to fix such problem.

I thought u were getting a 430? didnt u like the f430 better than the 360? what made u decided to get the 360 instead? i assume ur 2004 should be around the same price as a 2005 430.

15. Barrister

Barrister Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2008
    The OC
    Full Name:
    "Big D"
    #15 Barrister, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
    As I understand it - and I could be wrong - The 5-year or 30K mile service runs between $4K - $6K. It is a "major service" where they go in and change out all the belts - including the engine timing belts. I believe I am right on this, although others may know better than me. I made a deal with the seller to include the service in the price of the car.

I indeed would have liked to get an F430. But the deals are not there for the F430 like they are for the 360 right now. A similarly optioned 2005 F430 is still going to run you $150K. A 2004 360 will run you around $100K or less. The deal I struck for the 360 I purchased was too good to pass up.

It is just a first step for me into the world of Ferrari. I will enjoy the F430 when the time is right. That is, of course, assuming I am not hit with a several thousand dollar bill to repair the 360 after 72-hours of ownership! :)

I am definitely pick up an OBDII code reader as soon as I can.

16. bizz

bizz Formula Junior

May 26, 2008
    Redwood City, CA
    Full Name:
    joe B
    Mine comes on about every couple of weeks. I drive my car more-or-less as a daily driver, and I have still not been able to get anything on OBD2 besides an o2 sensor code and there's nothing consistent about when/how/why it clicks on. I've replaced, and yet it still comes on. I don't know how to reset the light so I just drive with it on. I don't care, the car runs like a champ. I see it and think to myself "hey, self, check OUT the engine. that thing sound cool!"

17. Barrister

Barrister Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2008
    The OC
    Full Name:
    "Big D"
    I wish I could do that. I really do. But I am a big stress pot and it would be hard to overlook. I admire your fortitude though.

Does this look like a good unit??

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LHW9YG

18. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    with all the cars I have( with the mods they have on them), I get a CEL at least twice a week. If there is one thing I will say about the 360, if there is something really wrong, chances are you'll feel it before that light even goes on.

19. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    +1.......my cel goes on/off whenever it wants. Car runs great and have done over 180mph with the light on. By the time I bring it to the shop it's off......don't stress, like everyone has said it's probably minor...:eek:

20. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Big D

I wouldnt stress about it. Mine has come on once in the last 3-4 weeks but goes away. I think sometimes even suspect fuel can set it off.

21. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    If the CEL goes on but oil pressure, water temp and oil temp are ok, and the engine sounds and feels ok don't worry about it too much. No need to immediately pull over. It is frequently just a bad sensor. If you get the SLOW light that is a more serious issue.

I had a '99 360 and the CEL came on so frequently that I ultimately actually asked the dealer to cut the CEL light wire because I was sick of looking at it, I said I would prefer to just watch my old school analog gauges (he wouldn't do it). Some causes were bad 02 sensor, bad cam timing sensor, gas cap loose. Frequently after a few normal driving cycles the CEL would go back off.

22. slice

slice Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2008
    Connecticut, US
    Though not the CEL, I have received, on more than one occasion the "SLOW DOWN" warning at idle during warm up, which you can search these forums on (typically a faulty reading)...moral of the story, in my opinion: these cars are (obviously) different than your Honda's, Toyota's, even Porsche's...they are crafted fairly raw - and in small numbers - with weight savings and the like in mind.

In other words, I think Ferrari puts all their time and effort into beautiful design and engine performance, moving quirky electronics to the back burner. Compare the 360 engine bay, in all it's beauty, with say a Lexus and one can easily see how the Ferrari has the potential for grounding issues, faulty readings with all those electronics exposed to the elements.

As others have said (and I am no technical expert either) - so long as you use common sense, the water/oil temp are normal and the engine sounds like it should, I wouldn't run out ASAP.

23. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    #23 RobD, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
    Yeah.. my 430's cel sometimes stays on after I get gas, even though the gas cap is turned so it clicks. It takes a couple drives for it to clear (restarts from cold).

We can't pump our own gas here (it's rediculous..), but I always make sure I hear the clicks when the guy puts the cap back on. Yet, even though he turns the cap so it clicks two or three times, sometimes it's not enough and it throws a code. Lately, after the guy puts it back on, I've been turning it myself so it clicks plenty of times before I start the car. I haven't had it come back on.

Also, I've encountered another problem when getting gas. I've stopped popping the gas door while the motor's still running. Unfortunately, the gas door won't open with the key all the way off (as one would normally shut off the car). The problem was that the gas attendant was sometimes so fast to open the gas cap that I hadn't shut the motor off yet, then I'd have the cel when I restarted the car. Now, I shut the car down first and pop the gas door with the key at position 1.

24. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    The light could be on for as simple of reason as trying to start the car without hitting the botton on the Key first and trying to start it - That sets off the light on my CS and will not go off before resetting the codes

25. Barrister

Barrister Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2008
    The OC
    Full Name:
    "Big D"
    You may have something here. I have been a bonehead several times and forgotten to do this, turned the key and the car fails to turn over. Then I remember to do it and it starts right up. Yesterday, just before the CEL stayed on, it took me three tries to get it right. This very well may have been the problem. I sure hope so.

I want to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for all of these responses. I am very happy to be a part of the F-Chat community and hope to contribute in a big way once I get my sea legs with the car.

Forza Ferrari!