Mega Thread: The 430 Replacement (F450, F500, etc) | FerrariChat

Mega Thread: The 430 Replacement (F450, F500, etc)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by marknkidz, Aug 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    I cant believe it.. I just got back an email from Scottsdale Ferrari (where i purchase my first 2003 360) I asked them if they were taking any deposits on the NEXT GENERATION CAR AFTER THE F-430. To my surprise, i was informed they already have 150!! deposits, that is their complete alotment. And needless to say the F-430 is completely sold out. Is this possible? 150 deposits on a car that is at least 4 years away from production. Assuming each person gave the customary $5000.00 deposit, thats $750,000.00 the dealership gets to sit on for at least... 4-5 years. Wow, what a business!! This just might push me over the edge. (Luke I am your Father!!)

2. JustinS

JustinS Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Justin S
    There are dealerships that do have 430s for sale at this time.

3. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Total lunacy. They're just saying they don't want your business IMO. Plus they are not supposed to sell out of their area ;)

4. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Do you live in their market area? If not they probably don't want to commit a F-car to you. Whilst knowing their local customer base will definitly consume the entire allocation of the new model.

5. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Yep, believe it. I live in Scottsdale and deal with Scottsdale Ferrari. Their 430 replacement list is SOLD OUT. They have around 150 people on that list who have put down deposits. Putting down a deposit does not guarantee you will be getting a car. I have a friend who was on the 360 spider wait list for 5 years and never got a car.

6. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    shoot that dealer

7. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    The factory giving him some more allocation would help towards satisfying the heavy demand.

8. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
  9. FloridaChris

FloridaChris Karting

Nov 22, 2004
    Gulf Stream, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris Wheeler
    New? Who, where? PM me if you don't want to publically post. I have a check in hand!

As far as out of area issues...I will rent an apartment and establish residency to get my hands on a new F430 ordered the way I want it...

10. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    That's my understanding as well. Totally sold out. If you know of a dealer that will take an order at sticker, let us all know and we will go there in the morning.

11. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    I would!

12. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    wtf are they thinking. Has the factory allowed them to do that. I know at Algar they wont even let you on the list until they get offcial word that it will be produced from the factory. E.g. no 600 deposits yet, i think.

13. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Scottsdale Ferrari, like most other F car dealers has a core group of customers who always buy the new model. The deal is that as they take delivery of the newest car they do not factor their deposit into the purchase, but simply roll it over, not to the upcoming replacement of the car they just bought, but onto the one that will replace the replacement. It doesn't take much to see that if a buyer has $10,000 on deposit with the dealership he is always on the list not just for the replacement model, but the replacement of the replacement. That's why a new buyer has almost zero chance of getting on a list for a car that is 5 years out. You have more chance closer to the time of launch as buyers do fall out. Some sell their spot, others simply relinquish it and let the dealer fill it.

Well-heeled Ferrari buyers are happy to invest $10,000 as a deposit to ensure a steady supply of cars at MSRP. Not a bad return if you factor in the potential profits as well as the enjoyment of a brand new car.

You get onto the list by purchasing a used car or two from the dealer, as well as giving hims first dibs on buying your car from you. The system works well for all concerned, even the newbies who are simply "paying their dues".

14. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I'm sure Algar has their "preferred list" already in place for the new Maranello replacement.

15. infinity

infinity Karting

Apr 14, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Dries
    How much 430's do you want? We export exotics to the US and can even get you new cars and try to meet the specs you want as closely as possible. Give us a seek-order and we will get you the car, ship it for you and help you convert it to meet US regulations. If you PM me i can get you our further contact details.

16. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Yes I'm sure they do, and in fact in some ways I can not blame smaller dealers who do. After all most of their business come from service and used cars, not new cars. They need to pay closer attention that the cars stay in their area.

17. SELLER

SELLER Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    Chicago

Yep, ive delt with them before, they are Deposit Whores. And its usually hard to get low on a list because they never disclose when they will start taking deposits on new cars.. "Probably sometime next year". I have a deposit down there for the 575 Replacement, got 'somewhat' lucky.. 2nd year production.

18. SELLER

SELLER Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Thats just dealer management telling you how "They Operate".. Ferrari has no say, and no control over a dealer taking deposits (they dont mean anything until it actually comes time to order anyways)

19. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Don't you all wish you had the same system we have here in Blighty?
    You go to the dealer, ask nicely if you can place an order, give them £5000 (about US$9000), go home, wait about two and half years, go back to the dealer, spec up your car, including choosing the gearbox! and give them another £5000. Up until the time you spec the car, your deposit is refundable (without interest). When speccing the car the smarter buyers put an additional deposit on their next car for 3 years time. If the current model is sold out, you are near the top of the list for the new model!
    Franchised dealers are NOT allowed to charge over list price for cars currently in production.

20. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    Lamborghini's making some nice cars nowadays...

21. motion

motion Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    At the track
    Full Name:
    Motion
    So, these "hard core" purchasers have invested 5k or 10k for the privilage of getting their hands on the new cars at MSRP... for what? So they can put 1200 miles on them and hand them back to the dealers in pristine condition? Doesn't sound so hard-core to me. If I had an unlimited supply of clams, you can bet I would drive every one of those cars into the ground, squeezing every last bit of joy out of them. Hell yeah, I would. :)

22. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Motion,
    My 430, now 2 weeks old already has 750 miles on it and the only reason that is so low is because I was traveling for 5 days during the period. It will have 1K+ by Monday. Some buyers do actually drive the crap out of them!

DAve

23. SELLER

SELLER Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Yeah well squeezing every last bit of "joy" would also be squeezing every last "Dollar"..

These people give back their 'pristine' Ferrari's for a check between $15,000-$20,000 (more with an F430 Spider). The Dealer makes a TON reselling the car (far more than they got for the original sale). By doing this the client gets a brand new car 6 months later. They drive the cars just as much as you would, they just do it 1500 miles (per car) at a time.. and get PAID to do it.

Once you align yourself nicely with a dealer.. you could have a solid 2nd Income "Driving Ferrari's"

24. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    This does not really work this way, after all expenses and commissions, it still costs plenty. Its a losing proposition, maybe if you do not drive the car at all you can do it, or maybe the first couple of people, but to get those cars, even good customers don't qualify.

Its a very expensive pass time no mater how smart you are. Fun though!

25. shin

shin Karting

Apr 8, 2004
    Full Name:
    Shin
    What I would like to hear is some info about the car itself, even if it's just rumors. It's going to be a new platform as the 360/430 platform has served two generations so it will be revolutionary in terms of design.
    Heard that it's going to have a compact V-12 and a single bodystyle combining berlinetta and spider by using a modified folding glass roof experimented on the 575 Superamerica. Ferrari is eager to combine the two bodystyles to save production costs significantly and explore new design possibilities...