Ferrari California now at FOW | FerrariChat

Ferrari California now at FOW

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by toggie, Apr 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #1 toggie, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
  3. 360Doctor

360Doctor Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2007
    United States
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yep; posted about it in the "Spotter's Thread".

4. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I missed seeing your post in the Spotter's Thread. But now we've got some pics of it posted. :)

5. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    impressive in black. I approve.

6. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I like it in black, but is it me or does the fender gap in the front look REALLY high?

Either way, certainly worth a trip to FOW to check it out... :)

7. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    maybe a bit.... but compared so some other Ferraris not so much. Looked at a 512BB lately.... or a US 308?

8. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I also went to FoW to check out the Califorinia and to take some pics. But Toggie beat me to it. The car is a real beauty. I wish I could've seen it with the top down...perhaps next time.

Toggie, it was great seeing and talking with you today. Don't forget if you need anything feel free to get in touch with me.

Bill

9. redtrman

redtrman Formula 3
    BANNED

May 16, 2008
    VA - Heart in Pitt
    Full Name:
    Jason Bourne
    Well, I will be the first to rain on the parade, not a fan of this car, looks like a 575 that got rearended. However, i reserve my judgement until I actually see it in person, but based on pics, does nothing for me.

10. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    they had one a cavallino and i never even saw it. that or the 16m. guess i'm turning into a vintage guy. wasn't even interested.

11. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think it is a beautiful car........from the front. I absolutely hate the hump in the back, also the reason I hate 996,997 cabs, it just ruins the car.

12. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    not a fan. the new styling is soooo bland. looks just like every other new car to me..... very lexus'ish.

13. Bobert

Bobert Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Oak Hill VA
    I have seen it in person and driven it. The car is much better in real life than even Toggies photos make it look...and he is a good photographer. For some reason the car does not photograph well. I have seen other cars from other companies that have had that same issue...never could understand why that happens. Car looks and feels smaller than the photos make it look. Rear end is quite nice and I think when you see it in other colours (red, yellow...) it will look very nice as the features of the design will show up better. It looks like a Ferrari when you see it!

It is a great cross between a sports and GT car. It has a nice growl when you step on it and the paddle shifter is lightening quick. Very short turning radius. Top folds down lightening quick and you can talk with it down very comfortably. This is a car you could drive every day and really enjoy.

I think those of you who have one ordered will really enjoy this car.

Bobert

14. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    Why even bother with the back seats? They look entirely unusable. The car itself looks great, if not a bit like a supra however. I'm sure in person and especially with the top down it will cast a much different presence. Behind the wheel I'm sure it look phenomenal!

regards

ken

15. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    The front I don't mind so much. The join line of the rear quarter and bumper cover is a real problem for me. Not as noticeable in black but there none the less...

16. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    #16 StoryBook, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Unfortunately its not just you. Seems "all" modern day Ferraris.......and some past ones have arrived looking like 4x4s. I have other 4x4s......i don't need it in my sportscars.

Heres what it should look like:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. mswiek

mswiek Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    If it was Christmas we could be saying "ho-ho-ho." But, in the case of this car it is more like "ho-hum." To my eye the styling is bland and predictable, looking too much like a knock-off, reduced price 599. When I was in Maranello a couple of months ago, it was hard to distinguish the 599's and Californias on the road with a quick glance. They really don't set themselves apart. I have seen several in varying colors, red, yellow, blues etc., and while some colors are better than others (Azzuro California, for example) it just fails to excite or set itself apart with any distinction. Handling and performance are very good, but still without that drop-jaw styling. Rear seats are completely useless. A better choice, and one that would give the car some much needed character, would have been a nice quilted leather parcel shelf/storage box combination. Not rushing to go out of my way to see this one up close.

18. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I saw it today. Much better in person. Fit and finish on the interior was extremely nice. I even got to sit in it:D

19. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    #19 shahedc, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
    hey toggie... what happened to the red 360 F1 that was sitting in that spot? has it been sold?

or is that it in the far left, in the last pic?

20. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I guess I'll have to reserve judgment for seeing the black one in person. I saw the Cal last year at Quail in a lighter color and did not like it;the rear is really bad, IMO - it's just huge and stripey. Maybe not so bad if it's black.

I get that these cars are designed primarily in conjunction with wind tunnel results and air management philosophies, but I got the side-by-side epiphany down at one of the Cavallino events where there was a 599 parked next to a 250 Lusso. I was standing w/ about 6 other guys who were all looking at the rears of the two cars when one older guy points at the Lusso's rear and says "Venus di Milo", then points at the 599's rear and says "billboard" and walked away.

For me, Ferrari had always been the perfect Italian mix of art meeting the machine. I don't think it would be such a bad thing to bring some of the art back and not so much wind tunnel. How many Cal's are going to be driven at 10/10ths where you just have to have xxxx lbs of downforce?

Also, in Ferrari's first 20 years, he had about 8 different coachbuilders competing with each other to be the designer for the next production model. Pininfarina was the eventual winner by 1970, but maybe PF has gotten a little too comfortable as the only coach designer for Ferrari?

21. Greenpiece

Greenpiece Rookie

Sep 30, 2005
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Carleton

According to the Ferrari configurator website, there are two options for parcel shelves. I agree about the back seats being useless, which is why I would definitely order the car without them.

22. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I wouldn't, I did the configurator and it just looked wrong without the seats, even if you don't use them it looks better than having the shelf.

23. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I like it.

Then again I owned a Mondial and a Maserati so I'm inclined towards 2+2s

-dsd

24. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    As time marches along, I am less and less moved by Ferrari's designs. No matter how competent they may be on the road, I do not covet them. The California is just one more in that chain. Nothing wrong with that, and there are many who will undoubtedly buy one and love it. Happy for them. Enjoy in good health. However, I have less than no interest in them.

CW

25. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    if I may ask, what was the first Ferrari you ever saw, and what year was it?