CAlling 328 GTS 89 owners .... very welcome new addition - 89 328 GTS | FerrariChat

CAlling 328 GTS 89 owners .... very welcome new addition - 89 328 GTS

Discussion in '308/328' started by redgear, May 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redgear

redgear Karting

Jul 18, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Alan S
    #1 redgear, May 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Had to share this with you - drove her all day Saturday after picking her up on Friday nite!!
    1989 328 GTS, Australian delivered - took delivery last week.

It's my first 328 - (2nd Ferrari)....and I can now FULLY understand the appreciation for this machine that I see as a conisitent theme in other posts.

It would be great to hear from other 328 owners (especially other 1989 models) as I have a couple of questions that I would appreciate being able to discuss with more experienced owners.

PAP - don't worry - I have still got the 348!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi Alan. Beautiful 328. I too have an '89. I don't consider myself an expert by any means but if I can awnser any questions I'd be happy to help. This community is full of guys that can and will help.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Congrats on your 328! I'm sure you will enjoy it. Its interesting to see that although your car is not a US spec car, it has the U.S. spec style side mirrors. My 328 is also an 89. What questions do you have about the car. I'd be glad to help you if I can.

Best regards,
    Dino

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A VIN number would be nice.

5. newgentry

newgentry Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    Full Name:
    Robert
    +1, I've had my '89 for about a year and a half now, would be glad to help in any way I can.

6. redgear

redgear Karting

Jul 18, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Alan S
    Yes... oversight in the post - VIN # 80823

Note it does not have ABS - (It is said...) none of the 89 GTS's that came to OZ as "Australian Delivery" had ABS.

7. redgear

redgear Karting

Jul 18, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Alan S
    Thanks - how long have you had yours?

My question relates to the steering and tyres...I notice that any attempt to turn the wheels (during 3 point turn or doing a reverse park) when the car wheels are not rolling, is almost a herculean effort - I am fairly solid - consider myself to have fairly good arm and upper body strength and find that the steering is infinitely heavier under these conditions than the 348 under similar circumstances. (Tyre pressure 34psi). Michelin tyres - correct sizes - four years old tyres on front - almost 5 year old tyres on back

Any thoughts or comments?

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thanks for that information.

Do you know why they didn't have ABS? Did any other cars come to OZ with ABS at that time? I am curious if it was some sort of law of yours or a decision on the part of Ferrari or the Ferrari importer.

BTW If you are interested your car was built in March 89.

9. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Nice Ferrari and welcome to the '89 club!!! Yes, these are little bit different from the earlier 328s. I have mine for 10 years but I'm still a newbie.

I love those wheels!

10. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #10 Ron328, May 12, 2009
    Last edited: May 12, 2009
    Congrats! Mine is '89 (#80938)- built Mar '89. Your observation on steering and tyres are "normal" for the car...at least that's my experience the past 6.5 years. Have had Goodyear and Pirelli tires (33/37 psi) -same feel.

Ron

11. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    # 80184. January '89 - same month and year as my first born son. I've had it for about four years. I had an '87 for a couple of years before this one. Yes the steering effort is pretty taxing at parking speeds but you get used to it.

12. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    How does the 328 compare to your 348? On paper the 328 dosn't seem to be at much of a disadvantage. Is there a substantial "seat of the pants" performance difference ?

13. Easyrider7467

Easyrider7467 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    Congratulations !!!! Beautiful Ferrari...

My 328 is Serial # 79984.

Interesting to see the close proximity of the numbers.

Thats how close they were together during production... Very Cool..

ENJOY !!!

14. judrick

judrick Karting

Jun 7, 2007
    Knoxville,TN
    Full Name:
    Rick Haynes
    Nice Car!! My 89 328 is vin#81851 June

15. redgear

redgear Karting

Jul 18, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Alan S
    Great Question... and one I am stiil processing. I can make a few observations however they are not exhaustive.. and none of the below is intended to lead you to think that I prefer one over the other - they are just quite different in feel and effect...

1. The 348 is MUCH more sensitive to the throttle - feels like there is MUCH more power in the low gears at low speeds - seems to want to "spin" the wheels quite effortlessly in first gear for eg

2. The 348 has the feeling of being much BIGGER inside the cockpit - feels like there is more space in every direction, and lots more headroom - in the 328, the dashboard design (rakes out and downwards towards driver and passenger), makes you feel more "immersed" into the car wheras the 348 does not have the same feel as the dashboard is smaller and less of a feature - you feel like you are sitting in a more "open space", particularly on the passenger side

3. 348 steering has more feedback and feels more "twitchy" than 328 - certainly not as heavy at parking speeds as the 328

4. 328 is GREAT to drive on the highway - actually feels like it has less body flex than the 348 (both being "targa" and not having the rigidity of the GTB/TB variant)

I am sure there is much more I will realise but these are my first observations after first experiences with 328.

4. 328 under acceleration seems to build strongly and steadily in speed - 348 seems to have more of a rapid "woosh" factor under acceleration - non linear if that makes any sense

16. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Great inputs, and if you don't mind sending me a PM with some more data, I am on the same path and intend to keep my 348 as well. Really appreciate the inputs and look forward to speaking with you.
    MB

17. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    Yes, the steering takes a while to get used to. Suggestions/observations:

* when starting from standstill, don't try to turn the steering wheel. Get the car
    moving, if only at a snail's pace, -then- turn the wheel. Much easier. Damned
    near impossible to budge the wheels/tires if the car is not moving.

* for normal steering, adopt the 'Italian method' - hands in a 'V' shape on lower
    half of wheel. Turn left by moving wheel mainly upwards via right hand. Turn
    right by mainly moving left hand upwards. Avoid 'straight arm' approach or
    anything where your hands are at the top of the wheel. Think as Guido would:)

18. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I hope you will share your thoughts with us as they pertain to the performance differences of your two cars. I'm considering adding a second F-car to my garage ; maybe a 355, but I also think a black 348 spyder would be nice.

19. redgear

redgear Karting

Jul 18, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Alan S
    Really pleased you mentioned the 355, as I also had the opportunity to consider a yellow 355 berlinetta(?).
    I do not know if it was the particular car that I drove that was in need of some work ....but I found the 355 had a different feel - light clutch, light steering, but it seemed emasculated on power (especially compared to the 348). It did not thrill me at all - it was incredibly pleasant but REALLY lacking in GRUNT compared to the 348. Got out of the car, walked away and never had the urge to go back (and it was for sale for $130k - just a tad more than what a the best 328 asking prices are in this part of the world - so it was nOT a price thing)

The 348 is a true "stallion" - you start it up, it comes alive and impercetibly vibrates with unbounded energy and agression - just waiting for the signal to go, and you touch the throttle and it takes off like the best most responsive horse you have ever ridden, as if you are weightless and it is about to take off and start flying- it is as close to a plane on take-off as I have experienced in a car - it wants to spin the wheels, without even going anywhere near trying - so the 328 provides an incredibly rewarding counterpoint of linear but strong steadiness, beautiful burbling engine noise at low revs - steady but not twitcht steering - still responsive but less feedback from the road.

I drove the 328 on the weekend around some mountain narrow roads - it was amazing to handle - precise, responsive, great adhesion, predictable, very solid and now surprises.

20. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I think I would do well to drive them both before I make up my mind - I can be kind of impulsive at times . Based on what I'v read the 348 would be easier on the wallet from a maintenance and repair standpoint. As for your observations so far, I agree the 328 is a suprisingly nice car on the highway. My wife and I made a 1200 mile round trip last month and felt better and enjoyed the drive more than we have making the same trip in her Caddy STS.

21. DAC

DAC Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2008
    Regina Canada
    Welcome to the 89 328 club! I’ve had mine since July last year, VIN number 83003. I am no expert but will answer any questions I can. I agree with the other opinions on the steering, it is very stiff at a standstill. I think yours is normal.

22. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    Very nice... Have Pap go and inspect that car.. He will tell you what to look for. I showed him mine when We flew him over here a few years ago...

23. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    My 328 steering is exactly the same - a serious handful when not moving! One thing I've noticed with mine on cold starts which might be helpful...

When starting, if I turn the key to the on position while I put on the seatbelt or in any way have the key on for several seconds before actually turning it to the "start" position, the engine has to be spun for 5-10 seconds, maybe more, before it will actually start and run. And at that, it will run rather roughly for a bit. If, on the other hand, I get in, get situated, and then turn the key from off directly to start, it will start immediately and smooth out within a few seconds.

I'm ASSUMING that leaving the key on for any period prior to starting applies electric heat to the KJet's warm-up regulator which then reduces the enrichment needed at start though I haven't checked to be sure that's the reason. I was a little concerned about this initially but once I realized out that my 328 does not like having the key on at all prior to start, and starts immediately otherwise, I quit worrying about it.

24. redgear

redgear Karting

Jul 18, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Alan S
    Thanks for the warm welcome and pleased to share the pleasure of one of life's great joys - the 89 328 GTS!
    YEs, interesting about the mirrors, I will look into that... see if I can find any other OZ delivered 89's to compare..

25. redgear

redgear Karting

Jul 18, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Alan S
    Thanks for the tip! Any other bits of useful data like that greatly appreciated... I can't wait till the week-end to get driving it again.
    What year and VIN is yours? can we see some pictures? How long have you had it?