Pumpkin removal etc for Dummies | FerrariChat

Pumpkin removal etc for Dummies

Discussion in '348/355' started by notbostrom, May 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom Formula Junior

May 8, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #1 notbostrom, May 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok gang... after fretting over it for the last couple weeks I took the plunge. I had some offers of help but being so far out in the sticks it's been hard to coordinate schedules. My car had never leaked a drop of anything so seeing fluid under it was like watching an old friend bleed to death. I grabbed the few tools I have and headed out to the storage unit to ponder the idea of working on it myself. I must admit I sat there staring at the car for half and hour afraid to dive in. I started by seeing how hard it would be to loosen the clamps at the cat/muffler connection. To my surprise with just a little effort the all came loose. I kind of said what the heck and dove in. Being alone I knew pulling the bumper was risky since it was heavy and would be easy to drop so I left it on. I sat there puzzled for a couple minutes wondering what to take apart to remove the muffler from the cross beam it hangs from. The light bulb went off and I decided to remove the whole beam. 4 bolts later it was loose and had a nice handle on it ( the cross beam) to use to lift the muffler free from the cats and then lower to the ground. I put a piece of old carpet under the car and just slid the muffler out from under the bumper. Next I checked to see how tight the nuts would be on the pumpkin. They loosened up so I put the only thing i had ( a few wood planks) under the pumpkin to support it. I removed all the nuts and pulled the 3 bolts from the starter. I taped the pumpkin with a rubber mallet but it didn't seem to move. I jumped in the car and gave a very slight press on the clutch pedal. The pumpkin was now about 1/2 an inch out and slid right off. I rocked it back and forth to work it onto it's back then slid it out from under the car as well. I was shocked that this whole job could have been done with just the tools in the Ferrari tool kit under the hood. (Those are not the tools I used but it's need to think I could have) The TO bearing appears intact and I didn't see the tell tale sign of where my leak was like I hoped. Maybe some of you can chime in with your thoughts on the photos. The triple seals seemed a little wet and the only possible place I see clutch fluid could have come from is the seals inside the TO bearing itself. I slid it back and forth a couple times and there might have been a touch of fluid on the Slave shaft... Can any of the stooges chime in??

A HUGE THANKS TO ERNIE WHO GAVE ME THE COURAGE TO GRAB SOME TOOLS AND START PULLING THINGS APART.

I will take more photos as I reassemble and re enact the diassembly to show how I did this with NO JACK and without removing the bumber.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. notbostrom

May 8, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #2 notbostrom, May 17, 2009
  3. leorosa

leorosa Karting

Feb 26, 2008
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Leo
    Good info notbostrom..!!I have to check mine cause the throw out bearing do not sound very good..!!Keep em coming..

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Ata boy Ben!!!

Keep the pics coming.

5. notbostrom

May 8, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Is it just me or does there NOT seem to be any evidence of clutch/brake fluid leaks?? Other than the grease slung everywhere it's pretty clean.

6. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    No it's not you.

However, there is a bit of crud built up at the base of the slave cylinder. From what? I dunno?

7. notbostrom

May 8, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    yep, saw that.. dried clutch fluid and dirt?? that is the only area that looked like it might have had a little leakage?? if so then the seals inside the TO bearing would be the source

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I never took the bumper off to do this job. Use caution when splitting the case with clutch pressure if you don't intend to R&R the throwout bearing. You did it right just cracking the case with it. I ususally just pry it apart with a wedge. Anyway there is only the T/O bearing for fluid to come from or tranny fluid to leak down the triple seals into the flywheel and out the flywheel to the ground. You can carefully look for leaks on the backside of the T/O bearing like radial lines of dirt coming off as a clue or that front lip being wet at the 6 oclcok position. You could have a friend push the clutch in slowly while you wrap a towel around the spline shaft and clamp a vise grip on there to block the T/O bearing from moving but pressurize the fluid to see if it leaks under pressure. For me I don't mind going back in again. for other they want this to be a 1 time job. If the latter just change the T/O bearing and think of it as part of the clutch change and move on. Look around for other leak places like bleeder or top of pumpkin area on the gearbox. Once I fixed a car that had crack in the case but that is pretty rare. Also look to make sure you did not mistake a clutch leak for a mainseal leak or???? Sometimes a leak will fool you as to origin.

9. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Ben also has to repack his flywheel Chubba.

But like pretty much everyone else he doesn't have the ring nut socket to get it off. I suggested he go buy an impact socket and then grind it to shape.

Yo Ben, did you call the mechanic at that shop your were telling me about to see if he would zip it off for you?

10. notbostrom

May 8, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Ben

He actual saw the thread and PM'd me. Says he can do it in 4 hours and it'll be good as new.

Looks like this may actualy turn out to be just leaking triple seals as the TO bearing looks ok. I need to "pressure" test it as FBB suggested.

If I cover the bearing well, is it otherwise safe to sparay some break cleaner arouond in there?? will make it easier to find any seeping fluid if it's super clean to start with.

11. notbostrom

May 8, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    The more I think about this I'm leaning towards my leak being from triple seals and not clutch. Another look under the car and the fluid seems to be to thick for brake/clutch.

12. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    And there you have it. Which would also explain why your flywheel is also leaking.

So..............

Replace the triple seals and then repack the flywheel.

13. notbostrom

May 8, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #13 notbostrom, May 18, 2009
  14. leorosa

leorosa Karting

Feb 26, 2008
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Leo
    HMMMM..!!Any link associated with the FW repacking....I have to take mine tomorrow..

15. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Yes.

I don't remember the link off the top of my head but there have been some post on how to do it. Run a search of the archives and a couple should pop up.

16. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
  17. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Good looking out Eric.

18. leorosa

leorosa Karting

Feb 26, 2008
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Leo
  19. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Nice work there Ben. :):)

I told ya it was easy. ;):)

20. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ben, you're the man! I'm inspired to start tearing mine apart tonight. My issue is most likely the bearing failure as what I lost was definately not trans fluid, and I've been keeping up with the weekly running of my car (bring it up to temperature etc.), I have noticed that my brake warning light is illuminated obviously due to the lack of hydraulic fluid in the system.

I was figuring since I'm taking the housing off and such that I'll replace the clutch while I'm at it, however, I started adding up the prices (new Hill Engineering bearing $$$, new clutch $$$) yeah, money does not grow on trees like it used to! :)

Seriously Ben, if there is anything I can do to help, you should have my cell number.

21. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Another option is to have the existing clutch rebuilt - this can be done for a fraction of the cost of a new clutch pack.

22. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ben, et all. I finally dug into my clutch project. Ben, the Ferrari gods must have been with you, mine was a little more effort than I had expected. Not too bad, but I still don't have the housing off yet. I had to remove the front muffler heat sheild to help get my muffler out, I also removed the muffler cross member as you described - awesome idea, gives you something to hang on to as you remove it.

The clamps at the muffler and cats were difficult because of the angle that they were installed, a little persistance and I had them off.

The bolts were on pretty tight for the housing, but I was able to get them all removed.

So, I tried prying the housing, I beat it a bit with the rubber mallet, and I still was not able to get it to budge. I can't even try your trick (even though it sounds like it isn't advised to do it that way) by pressing a little on the clutch to get it loose as my pedal has no pressure in it at all.

Any advice or ideas? I thought i was hitting it pretty hard, I certainly don't want to break anything. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike

23. notbostrom

May 8, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #23 notbostrom, May 21, 2009
    Last edited: May 21, 2009
    Mike,

I noticed the rubber mallet didn't do much for me either. It's not a lot of force thats needed it's even force. Find something a little bigger that will fit into the slot openings on the sides. They (the openings) should be about 2 inches top to bottom and 1/2 inch wide. Try gently prying both at the same time. For that matter top and bottom together would work but harded to reach at the same time. The ckutch trick worked because it pushes from the middle. I was so worried i was getting into something fragile but that just isn't the case. Nothing falls apart as the pumpkin comes off it's all one piece. It is heavy and will probably be greasy so be ready for a 50 lb greased pig. I had some 1x6 planks under mine so it was resting ever so slightly on them. Once loose I just pulled the planks back with the pumpkin resting on them.

Ben
    newly crowned king of pumpkin removal

24. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Ben, that's good advice, I was trying from the top, bottom, and both sides, but not more than one at the same time. I'll try doing the L and R sides at the same time, or Top and bottom. I have the back of my car on jack stands so it is a bit more accessible (especially with the muffler heat deflector removed) for me. Obviously, I've been a little concerned about putting too much muscle on it while it is on the stands so I may lower the car off the stands before I really apply some brute force.

Did you also remove your heat deflector? That really opened it up for me and I was able to get at it.

Have you gotten any further in diagnosing yours? I really have the incentive to get mine buttoned up with the weather as nice as it has been lately. I won't be able to get back to mine until much later tonight (if I still have the energy).

Once we get them back on the road, we'll have to get them together for a nice drive in the North Georgia mountains!

Mike

25. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #25 348_Spiderman, May 21, 2009