custom Ferrari bike | FerrariChat

custom Ferrari bike

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Mr Aryan, Jun 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr Aryan

Mr Aryan Karting

Sep 23, 2008
    Bahrain
    Full Name:
    Mr Aryan
    #1 Mr Aryan, Jun 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    #2 Choptop, Jun 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
    sorry to say something bad about your friends bike... but...

meh... cookie cutter chopper with a ferrari sticker. I'm sure its made out of nice components... but... meh.

choppers like this have plummeted in value. I see them for $15-20k at auction, if they meet reserve.

3. Nuno42

Nuno42 Rookie

May 5, 2009
    If i was the Ferrari President i would sue the builder =)

4. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    What are those bikes like to ride? They give the appearance of significant straight line speed with the huge rear tire, but what's the reality like?

5. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith

not comfortable at all... and realistically, not all THAT fast. Lots of torque, so you get a good punch off the line, but from there on out it runs out of steam pretty quick. Inline 4 will be faster in the end, but not give the initial impression of speed.

Most dont handle or stop for a ****e. They are made for looks only. Riding position? forgetaboutit. It sucks.

fun for about 10-15 minutes.. bar hoppers only.

There are some notable exceptions. Confederate Motorcycles are pretty damn usable, they handle pretty well. I ran one up and down Deals Gap and had a great time with it.

6. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #6 UroTrash, Jun 15, 2009
  7. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My problem is that archaic motor is about as far from Ferrari technology as you can get.

8. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    #8 SRT Mike, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
    They suck to ride.

The long front end makes the bike unstable and makes for a HUUUUGE turning circle. Most builders have never heard of the terms "rake" and "trail", so they weld on what looks cool. Also, most of these bikes (this one included) are hard-tails. No rear suspension. Hit a bump and you literally lift a few inches up off the seat.

Riding one of these after riding a 250 would be sort of like having a Ferrari 360CS as your daily driver, before your friend gives you the keys to his '65 Mustang with a bad steering rack, bald bias-ply tires and the Cummins diesel engine he shoehorned into the frame with 25hp and 850lb-ft of torque. You'd wonder why on earth anyone would want one.

As for the power - they aren't fast. The main thing is V-twin, so two cylinders. There is only so large you can make those cylinders, and only so much stroke they can take. with the stroke they put in them, at high RPM's the piston velocity is usually more than an inline 4 cylinder bike. Considering the pistons are >4" diameter on the bike displacement engines, that is a relative crapload. And that's why they don't last. The big engines from S&S and TP and Ultima don't even have warranties, and they blow with more regularity than a jones'ing crack whore.

They look good (sometimes), but that's about it.

9. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Oh the engines aren't all that bad. A 100ci enigne will make 100hp all day long and that makes a pretty fast motorcycle. There are other options that are faster, but a 100 hp motorcycle is really quick. Choppers just plain suck to ride but it's not generally the engine's fault...it's the whole idea of a chopper that sucks.

10. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    LMAO!!

11. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I always call S&S motors "Shake and Shrapnel"

12. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    The engine doesn't make it suck to ride, but 100ci choppers are most certainly NOT fast.

Because they weigh 1000lbs with rider. That's about as fast as a 1992 Corvette. Wow, impressive (dripping sarcasm).

The fact that they must be V-twins is what holds them back. You gotta make giant pistons and stroke the hell out of them. That is not good for longevity... which is why, as I said, the big motors from S&S/Ultima/Revtech just do not have any warranty at all.

The other problem with huge diameter pistons with a long stroke is you can't rev it at all, so you end up making tons of torque, but it runs out of breath *really* quickly. So it's got lots of get-up off the line, but absolutely nothing beyond that.

Just doesn't make for a good ride at all, in my experience.

The factory big displacment cruisers are better than just about anything else I've ridden from a custom shop.

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Just woke up missus wax after I busted my gut, too. I'll be sleeping with one eye open...

14. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #14 Ducman491, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009

15. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I ran into a guy I've known for a few years (328 owner about 10 years) at a car show. He was riding his new "Ferrari" Chopper that he had built by one of the local chopper shops. The car show was primarily Ferraris including a Lusso, 250 California and '57 Testarossa as well as a few 355s and 308s. He left the 328 at home and showed up on his new ride instead.

I was gracious and the young kids thought he was cool but the whole time I was wondering: what was he thinking? Does he really think putting horsey shields on a fake Harley (that's what they are isn't it?) makes it a Ferrari?

16. Willybeen

Willybeen Karting

Aug 18, 2009
    Vero/Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    William
    ^ my thoughts exactly...

when i picture a "ferrari motorcycle" i picture a sexy italian v-twin that revs to 12k+

not a chopper.

17. vreynaud

vreynaud Rookie

Jan 20, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    #17 vreynaud, Sep 20, 2009
  18. vreynaud

vreynaud Rookie

Jan 20, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    #18 vreynaud, Sep 20, 2009
  19. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
  20. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    A 300 size rear tire and 3 feet of trail on a 7' wheelbase certainly makes it nimble like a Ferrari, huh?

21. lurker80

lurker80 Karting

Nov 29, 2006