FIA/FOTA UPDATE June 9th (At Day's End) | FerrariChat

FIA/FOTA UPDATE June 9th (At Day's End)

Discussion in 'F1' started by RP, Jun 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #1 RP, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
    The FIA has hinted that slight progress has been made in its row with the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) over the future of the sport, after claiming that a response to its request for teams to lodge unconditional entries for 2010 was 'not entirely negative.'

With FIA president Max Mosley having asked FOTA's eight members to let him know by this evening whether or not they would remove the conditions attached to their entries to the 2010 championship, the teams' organisation duly wrote to the governing body.

No details of the contents of the letter have been made public, and FOTA was unwilling to comment about the situation, but it is understood that the teams made it clear that they were not in a position to be able to drop the conditions attached to their entry yet.

However, having laid out clearly in the letter and various attachments what teams would like to see in place for them to commit, the FIA says it has seen some signs of encouragement in the latest stance.

A spokesman for the governing body said: "The FIA has received a letter and various attachments from FOTA, the contents of which are not entirely negative, and we are currently examining the details."

FOTA has been keen not to adopt an aggressive strategy with the governing body over the matter, and believes that the cost cut proposals it has put forward are exactly what is needed to help secure the sport's future.

However, the bigger issue for the teams remains governance of the sport. That is why the signing of a new Concorde Agreement to unify the teams, the FIA and the sport's commercial rights holder is so important.

Toyota vice-chairman John Howett said in Turkey last weekend that sorting out how rules are framed in the future was a priority.

"It's about fundamentally governance; there are also one or two issues of methodology of managing, shall we say, resource control, or reduction," he explained. "And I think the FOTA requests are extremely reasonable."

2. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
  3. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #3 jknight, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Surely the FOTA teams aren't that stupid to think that there will in reality be changes after they swallow the bullet, drop their conditions and enter on/before Friday? Just a way for the iron hand to have it's way. I sure would feel more comfortable if they have it in writing from FIA/FOM that on X day there will be discussions held and changes would be made per unanimous decision. If the new folks don't like it, well, they can take their toys and leave.

I find part of this a bit disturbing on the part of Max already canvassing some of the prospective teams (should he not be saying anything to any prospective applicant at this time?) Bad business IMO, he should sit back and zip it up until the announcement is made. I guess for now the good part is that FOTA makes up the unanimous decisions (assuming that Williams and Force India would be siding with the three new teams - FOTA 8 - Others 5.
    In the letter, Mosley said article 66 of the International Sporting Code prohibits the FIA from tearing up the 2010 rules, including the plans for a budget cap. But he said that if the FOTA teams drop the conditional status of their entries, all the confirmed competitors for next year can then unanimously make amendments to the document. The Briton indicated that most of the alternative FOTA rules will be accepted. "We have already canvassed the views of some of the likely new entrants regarding the proposed measures and the feedback is broadly positive so a solution should be relatively simple to achieve," Mosley wrote. KEY WORD HERE IS HIS 'MOST'.

Sports cars are definitely looking even brighter and brighter to me than they already are!

Carol

FIA/FOM VS FOTA
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I have a strange feeling that the FOTA have told Mosley where to jam his stupid ideas. I have found out, again from a good source that Ferrari have no intention of winning one race this season and are just going to go through the motions. They want Mosley gone period.

5. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    I just want this soap opera stuff to end.

6. merismus

merismus Rookie

Jan 20, 2008
    Why should mosley agree to change any new 2010 regulations after team sing up for the 2010 season!!! They battled for the past 3 months in regards to this budget cap and other issues related to the new 2010 rules and he just refuses to back off!! What would make him change his mind once the other 8 FOTA teams submit official entries for the new season?

In his letter to FOTA teams Mosley explained that the Formula One Teams Association members could only negotiate amendments to the regulations once they had confirmed their entries!

Thats a lot of nonsense he is talking "ALL LIES", Mosley knows that F1 can not do without Ferrari, BMW, Mc Laren, Toyota, Renault....... etc.

F1 without all those teams and most importantly without Ferrari F1's icon will be just another racing championship!!!

I hope Mosley will be sacked!!

7. Alesnik-MD

Alesnik-MD Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    West coast FL
    Full Name:
    JPA, MD
    This is F1. There is a new soap opera every year. :(

8. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Mosley has proved again and again that he can't be trusted. Why would it be any different this time? I really hope FOTA doesn't fall for it.

9. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246423

Looks like FOM is now in the FIA's corner. Please, in reference only to F1, give me an example of when Mosley has lied to any of the teams, or when he has done anything to suggest he can not be trusted.

Imposing new rules without any negotiation is not a lie nor is it a reason not to trust. It is a reason to be pissed and wonder why you did not sign the 1998 Concorde.

10. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    The last sentence is probably true.

But I really doubt everything else. Ferrari still likes the money they get from FOM and some of that depends on where they finish in the WCC. And I am guessing that Ferrari will sign on for 2010 with no contingency.

11. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    "The teams had a chance to sign the 1998 Concorde Agreement which would have protected them from Max's technical changes, but they said no."

(important to understand where the responsibility for this mess is based, and its not all the Max Mosley)

12. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I didn't say he lied, he's too clever to do that. But he did imply he would step back from his position at least two times. Give me one reason why the teams should believe what he says?

13. finlandese

finlandese Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Finland
    Do you know how bad the 1998 concorde was for the teams? More BS from Marnie..

14. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1,000

F1 was also a *lot* different 10+ years back - The major manufacturers had yet to join, at least under their own names as entrants.

MM and the evil pygmy seem to be getting "nervous". I can see the pygmy joining with FOTA and turning against the FIA if his cash cow gets threatened.

15. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

Changing ones mind about returning to a position is hardly a reason to mistrust someone, especially if they were asked to continue by those in the sport. Which on at least one occasion is true for Mosley. If there is a settlement of all of this current crap, I do see Mosley retiring in October.

I don't have one reason why at this point in negotiations, the teams should NOT believe Mosley.

But I do know that the FIA has confirmed that as far as they are concerned Ferrari has a valid contract, that "includes their ongoing veto right to proposed technical rules changes". That's my one reason the teams should trust Mosley.

So what's to fear? I am not a deterrant nor fan of Mosley, I just prefer to get past the emotions and see the facts. At the end of the day I am an F1 fan first, a team fans second. So I will question the validity of any statement.

Yet the real question for the other teams, is not do you trust Mosley, it is do you trust Ferrari?

I would. Unless I was a team that wanted budget caps.

16. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

Don't underestimate Ecclestone:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246423

17. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hell no!

That's my point - If he sees the writing on the wall he's a big enough scum bag to drop his buddy MM and go with FOTA - If it suits his agenda (where the $ are), he'll bring his TV contracts / track agreements with him and screw the FIA......

Cheers,
    Ian

18. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Nail on the head.

Bernie is an opportunist. I said previously that of the three entities, FOM/FIA/FOTA, any two can generally win out against the third, with the exception being FOTA in this case.

I think that if it suited Bernie, he would join with FOTA and stab Max right in the back. The only thing preventing that is that it is better for Bernie to side with the FIA right now, since a big part of FOTA's beef is TV revenues. I have no doubt at all that Bernie has been trying to work a deal with FOTA, and one that includes cutting out the FIA would be no problem for him.

I am not sure it is a reconcilable position given what FOTA wants and FOM wants. If they can meet somewhere that excludes the FIA, that's probably what will happen. Same with FOTA and FIA, if they can come together first and stiff Bernie, that will likely happen too.

19. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    First, last and always Bernie's a businessman. As are they all.

20. Jbuffa

Jbuffa Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Joseph Buffa
    Who owns the right to call the championship Formula 1? FOM or the FIA.

21. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #21 kraftwerk, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
    Trust Mosley LMAO. Ask his wife she would know.

Yeh he is clever, so clever in fact that when he was told he was bieng followed when he went for his frequent a$$ slapping sessions in a Chelsea flat, he took no notice. and I don't care what anyone says google his name now, and still Mosley is at the top of the rankings with :

FIA President Max Mosley has been caught on film allegedly taking part in what UK tabloid News of the World has characterized as a "Nazi orgy

That is his greatest achievement live with it.

So to say it doesn't matter is Bullsh!t: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

22. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I believe FOM.