Need your Ferrari serviced in the Bay Area? | FerrariChat

Need your Ferrari serviced in the Bay Area?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by GTO84, Jul 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    If you need work, or maintenance on your Ferrari, I am very available.
    Pm me, Email or call (510)760-1471 My cell.

I have 308, 328, 355, 512 experience. I am ASE master certified. Timing belts, water pumps, whatever you need. $75 an hour is my rate. I will come to your house, as long as you're in the Bay Area.

Kris Newell

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Perhaps you can elaborate on your past experiences with them?

--Dan

3. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Dan,

He did some work (rebuild) on peter's 308. Peter's car is running great with no problems. i do not know about his experience on the other models.

Are you looking for a mechanic?

BTW. Just ordered my V1 for the trip out to ft. collins. Overnight so hopefully tuesday. Now I need to figure out how to get into the dome light. Any ideas?

Sorry about the beast.

4. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Kris,

I'm assuming you have all of the tools. How would you do engine out stuff in-situ?

thanks

5. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Ferrari experience:

Model:

308 Engine and transmission R&R
    Clutch
    Shocks, A arms, R&R full suspension
    Full coolant hose replacement
    Water pump
    Timing belts
    All engine seals
    Axle boots

328 Water pump
    Shocks
    Door striker re align
    Scheduled maintenance

355 F1/Spyder/coupe
    Engine cradle R&R
    Shift rod adjustment
    Clutch F1 trans
    Clutch 6 speed trans
    Slave cylinder replacement
    Water pump
    Exhaust manifolds R&R
    Convertible top hydraulic system bleed,
    and sensor replacement
    Scheduled maintenance
    Axle boots
    Tubi exhaust installation/ with test pipes
    Capristo exhaust installation/ with test pipes

360 Modena
    F1 trans removal
    throw-out bearing replacement
    Slave cylinder replacement

512 BBi
    Maintenance

Testarossa
    Engine cradle R&R
    Clutch
    Valve lash check
    Ignition components R&R
    Valve covers
    Cat install

6. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    I'm building the Ferrari specific tools, but I have everything else. As for engine out stuff, If you have access to a lift at a friend's house, or if you have one, a lift is the only way to go for a 348/355/TR engine removal. People have done it on the ground, but I feel I can have proper access on a lift.

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Kris, very good of you.

Vincent: I can walk you through the V1 install. If it's anything like the 550 (I suspect it is), you will find that the dome lighting up there is always on, so there's no ignition-switched 12v. Just tap in, ground it (you may need to get another splice crimper to connect to a grounding wire), and then put your cable in. It's all very simple once you see the parts.

--Dan

8. jester1

jester1 Karting

Jul 24, 2004
    Toronto
    Hi
    Dont want to start something but cant help it, this is been bugging me for a long time!
    People think that the working physics behind a Ferrari are different than that of lets say honda for arguments sake. Wheels are wheels and brakes are brakes an internal combustion engine is still an engine. The differeces are cosmetic, a little more refined, bigger brakes etc; 6 piston calipers stop better than your grocery getter they do it the same way they create friction. What Im trying to say its the individual mechanic that makes the difference not nessesarily the experience. Ive never had the oppertunity to work on a Ferrari but I can sure as hell say that Im better than some ferrari mechanics out there with their precious trainning courses! Bold Statement I know! Im not trying to be a prick im just saying, next time you go to your favorite dealer/garage and you see the mechanic drive your car into his bay or roll his box next to your car ask yourself this, is he good, or is he just a person with a company crest and number? Asking a person what experience he has isnt that bad until you tell him "well you touched most ferrari's but never and Enzo" so your not good enough to change the oil in my 308. A good mechanic will be insulted, however a S!#t one wont because theres always another customer with money standing inline when you leave.
    I guess Im just venting, I havent been able to work or do anything for a month, a 69 copo camaro decided it wanted my finger for an after lunch snack :(.
    In the end its the individual, and everyone is different.

9. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I have to disagree with you. I used to work on cars myself and Ferrari is no ordinary car... I give you an example, I used go to wheel works and do all my tire stuff for the 996, 328i, discovery and so on... I asked them if they could replace a set of wheels on my 360. Of course they said yes, as you say what the hell is the difference... Well, the Ferrari will not go over their lifts in any of their bays... They brought the floor jack... They started with the rear, the cup was so big that they could not fit it into the underbody opening and so on and so forth... Of course, when you change one set of spark plugs you have changed them all. But getting to them and knowing how to disassemble the seats, dismount the firewall in the back to get to them is the real challenge... Again, if a mechanic just watches someone else do it with proper tools and patience he can do it too. But to get to that point, I don't want him to experiment on my car... even for those who claim they work on Ferraris and they are all the same, I always ask them how many 360s they worked on and what specifically they have done before I trust my car to them. Otherwise I can go through a trial and error procedure and finally figure it out myself. This is just part of the story... Imagine you bring a sick Ferrari to the shop where they work on Hondas and BMWs... They have to have some diagnostic tools to begin eliminating the possible problems. Mechanic goes...let's take the spark plug wire and see if there is spark... then let's disconnect the fuel line and see if fuel is getting there...darn what could it be, it turns over, it gets spark and gas but doesn't fire up... But that's generally my experience and I am sure there are Honda mechanics that can figure anything mechanical provided there were enough time and resources.

10. cal355

cal355 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Cal
    You are absolutely right!Ferrari's are a different beast and require knowledge of Ferrari's logic of design.One needs a mechanic that really understands Ferrari.Which is true with most other exotics such as Lamboghini,Porshe GT2,SaleenS7,Aston Martin,etc.

11. jester1

jester1 Karting

Jul 24, 2004
    Toronto
    I knew I started something:)
    Ok first before someone says Yes I can do it (regaurding wheels) they should have looked at your car first not after you said go ahead and change them.There an honest mechanic would have looked at it first and said yes I can or sorry but I cant help you. See yes is always the answer when the dollar signs appear.
    I also agree with you that no one wants the $200k car worked on for practice.
    how many times were you lie too when you asked them for their experience?
    A good shop will have the nessesary diagnostic and specialty tools but do you know whats more important the maintenance manuals to you specific car, unfortunatley cowboy mechanics dont like to look at them but rather tear into the car.
    With regaurds to the honda/bmw shop well again a good mechanic would tell you well we can fix it but we lack the nessesary resourses, but what you already found out is a bad shop will say sure we can, just come and sit in our waiting area or can we drive you home and well pick u up when its done.
    In your ferrari the seats and firewall have to come off granted but they only come off one way. In other cars the wheels have to come off and in some cars you have to drop the engine craddle its all relative to the car.
    Again yourself and alot of other people including myself dont want their cars to be the first one and that is totaly understandable.
    By the way Im a licenced automotive service tech and aircraft mechanic.
    I apologise if I Pissed anyone off it wasnt my intention, nor am I trying to come off as some conceded loser.

12. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Hey jester- What does this have to do with my thread? Start a thread on your own... unless you would like me to do some work. No hijacks here. I let the V1 install thing above go without notice because bobbafett is a cool guy.

13. jester1

jester1 Karting

Jul 24, 2004
    Toronto
    Hey gto84- My apology I didnt even realize I just hijaked your thread, sorry wasnt my intention! I just hate it when people use experience with a certain product to pass judgment on your skill level in general if that makes any sense. Well again my apology it wanst my intention. Case closed.

14. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Experience with these cars is everything. Honesty is first though. I learn so much every time I work on one of these cars. Experience is priceless, and the key to efficient repair times. Working on Ferraris I feel is a privilege, not a job.

15. jester1

jester1 Karting

Jul 24, 2004
    Toronto
    Experience is priceless, and the key to efficient repair times, thats so true.
    I just dont like it when people quick to judge on a persons experience and no disrespect to you or any of the othe members who posted wasnt my intention at all. The gentleman bobafett had every right to ask for your experience any smart person would. Going back I take it that my post was just a little over the top, and in the wrong area. Actually come to think of it I shouldnt even said anything wasnt my place. Ive had some bad luck with high end shops around here quick to pass judgment on where you were employed vs. the quality of work you can produce gets to you after a while. Good luck too you and your endevors!
    Goodnight

16. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    You'll find a shop that recognizes your work quality. You just have to keep working as hard as you can to get your cars out so people will see them and talk about you. Build your individual reputation well.

17. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Kris,

My apologies on diverting the nature of the thread.

I do think what you're doing and offering are a very valuable and much-needed service. I sincerely hope it works out best. Hey, maybe we can tinker on the 550 when it's back (whenever that might be...blargh).

Here's a new concept for me: warranty! 360CS has it, apparently! Of course, that just means I don't pay when the factory guys screw up the car even more! :)

--Dan

18. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I first met Kris at his last job in Livermore, where he worked on my car. What I liked about Kris is the fact that his heart is in his work. When I pulled my 308 from SR Exotics (Because Wayne Hynes was not getting the work done), Kris made two, two-day trips to my house in Sonora to put the car back together from about 9 boxes of parts. He put everything back together and did not have even a washer left over!

It was great having him work on my car. He knew his way around every bit of the gearbox, engine, AC, carb linkage and electrical. The cool thing was the fact that I could ask him questions as he went along and he provided detailed answers that even I could understand (Try to get that out of a $145 an hour mechanic!).

He buttoned up my 308 and EVERYTHING he touched went without a glitch. He cut no corners while he advised of better replacement parts to use at less money and why those options were better. He is also savvy about getting information off the web. He found a few real off the wall sites that gave him specific tourque spec's on flywheel bolts, etc and he knew how to convert the Newton kilogram values into plain English (That one killed me!).

Ya, Kris is good. His ability will impress the hell out of you!

Ps: Have a six-pack of good beer handy. He likes a cold one when the day is done!

19. sjtom

sjtom Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Kris, I'll apologize in advance if this is a hijack, but......

Wouldn't it be beneficial if those of us in the Northern Cal region could have a single thread listing shops and independents (like Kris) that F owners have had good experiences with - as well as bad experiences such as Peter's with the Livermore shop? A focused thread like that, IMHO, could only benefit the owners as well as the mechanics. Who thinks this is feasible/valuable?

Tom

20. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Actually, Tom, that's a great idea.

21. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    This should be routed to rob329gts, right? I think it's a very good idea. There have ben discissions along these lines, and this is a very important subject.

BTW< Kris saved me at CI in Monterey this weekend. My 328 overheated and was leaking water. Luckily for me, Kris was at CI, so I got on the cell and called him as he was starting to think about leaving. He drove to where I was and diagnosed a split in the hose for the water heater. Fortunately, it was at the attachment point, so he cut off the damaged part and reattached it. Because the hose was obscured by other hoses and parts, it was a hassle to get at.

22. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Glad to hear Kris is doing a job well done. Kudos.

--Dan

23. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I trust you bought him a bunch of beer for that one!

24. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    Did a lot more than beer. I paid him substantial cash that went far to pay for his wife's and his trip to CI plus their dinner in Santa Cruz. He seemed happy with the amount. His help saved me a very large amount of hassle and money. I remarked to him that it was an example of maintaining honest relations with people--keeping the connection righteous (unlike our mutual acquaintance in Livermore, who will soon be dealing more and more with the courts, the CA BAR, probably a probation officer, bankruptcy court, bill collectors, etc).

25. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    "(unlike our mutual acquaintance in Livermore, who will soon be dealing more and more with the courts, the CA BAR, probably a probation officer, bankruptcy court, bill collectors, etc)."

HAHA!!! This will get better, trust me!