Update on my not running right | FerrariChat

Update on my not running right

Discussion in '308/328' started by GrayTA, Aug 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    So, during my last round of questions I thought it could be an electrical issue due to heavy rains. While it may still be electrical I made an interesting discovery today and wanted to ask for more insight into what may solve my problem.

If I remove the air cleaner box cover and filter there is a round plate that seems to be vacuum operated. When I start the car up if this is held open around 1/16 of an inch the car holds idle and sounds great. While I am holding it open if I manually depress the throttle cable the car slams that plate closed and dies. This leads me to believe that it could be the Throttle Position sensor or at least something between there and the intake manifold.

Any further thoughts?

PDG

2. Paul308GTSi

Paul308GTSi Formula 3

Oct 26, 2008
    Queensland Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul D
    ........sounds like you checked the air filter and it is ok !

all I know about the plate, in the injection system you described, should be able to move freely. I think this plate is simply pushed down according to air flow needs and it makes the injection system send more fuel to the injectors ......... more throttle opening > more air passes through the system > more fuel is sent to the injectors.

Have you checked the cold start injector , , , ??
    This is pretty easy
    Start the car and let it idle for a minute or 2

Stop the car

Undo the big rubber air hose that goes form the injector body to the plenum chamber , , , the big black corrugated one about 3 inches round .. Undo it at the throttle butterfly and just pull it gently out of the way

Push the throttle butterfly open and have a peep down inside the plenum (you'll need a flashlight) , , ,

If there is wetness in there it will be fuel , , , pretty much the only way you can get fuel in there at this stage is for the cold start injector to be faulty.

If you need one of these I can send you the contact details of where I got one for $60

3. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Inducted air sucked into the engine opens that plate which has 2 functions. It is connected to a switch which turns on/off the fuel pump when the plate is closed which explains why the engine quits when it slams closed. Holding it open ensures the fuel pump is powered. You can do the same thing by unplugging the light blue connector.

Also, that plate primarily determines how much air is flowing and feeds the fuel distributor this information to maintain proper fuel/air ratio. I can't explain why the plate would 'slam' closed unless by a prefire, or ignition of fuel into the intake.

The throttle simply opens the air path allowing more air in, that plate opens more and more gas is fed to the injectors.

Alternative fuel flow from cold start injector can occur for a very short period in cold conditions. The thermo-time switch and go bad and mess up the on-timing. WUR can allow entry of alternative path air during cold conditions.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Aug 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    When you hold the airflow metering plate a little more open (than it would normally be just from the airflow entering the engine), you are adding a little more fuel.

If your '85 QV is a US version, confirm/deny if the frequency valve is "buzzing/vibrating" -- it should always be buzzing whenever the engine is running (cold or warm). You should be able to confirm/deny this by just feeling it with your fingers. Alternatively, if the engine is running, you can just unplug it -- unplugging it should cause a change in the engine operation -- if no change = bad sign.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I followed Steves idea since it was fairly easy to check and found no vibration at all in the lambda valve, so that would seem to be the problem. I also found that if I manually opened the intake plate and simultaneously operated the throttle it ran and sounded great again.

Thank you for the suggestions. Now to order one and see if it solves the issue!!

PDG

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #6 Steve Magnusson, Aug 23, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
    NO!!!

It's much more likely that you have lost the +12V power to run the frequency valve -- either because the 10A fusible link inside the protection relay has blown or the protection relay is bad.

There are two wires connected to the frequency valve -- one PN (beige/black) and one AG (light blue/yellow). The PN wire should always be +12V whenever the engine is running. Measure the voltage on this PN wire, relative to ground, when the engine is running -- if it is not +12V, then you know that you need to look into the protection relay.

Try a search on "308QV protection relay" and read those threads -- especially this one:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179893

See page 102 of your 307/84 OM for the figure showing where the protection relay is located.

7. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    #7 GrayTA, Aug 24, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009

Ok, thank you for catching my possible mistake. I am a novice here and know very little about car electrical systems but am learning fast, so your help is GREATLY appreciated.

By the way, your photo was a HUGE help. Thank you for doing that!!

More to follow...

PDG

8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #8 Steve Magnusson, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
    Patrick -- Got your PM, but I'd prefer to just use this thread to respond (as I can post jpegs, make edits, and my PM box is near full ;))

I agree that these "no change when unplugged" results indicate that something is wrong with the protection relay, but it does have a function to deliberately "fail" if the alternator goes crazy and (wrongly) starts putting out a high voltage. So, once you have access to a voltmeter, also measure the voltage between the battery terminals when the engine is running and make sure that the voltage from the alternator is not some crazy high value (at 2~3K RPM, it should be something like ~14V -- not 20V).

If that seems OK, as a different test (in addition to just directly measuring the voltage on the PN wire at the FV with the engine running), you can unplug the (supposedly bad) protection (Wehrle) relay, and, using a jumper wire, connect the large P (Beige) wire (that would be connected to terminal 30) directly to the PN (beige/black) wires (that would be connected to terminal 30a). Connecting the P wire on terminal 30 to the PN wires on terminal 30a is what the protection relay does when it is working correctly. If the engine running is better with the jumper in place, that would be another sign that you need a new protection relay.
    Last information that I have is that you would have to substitute the US 328 protection relay and move the wires around per the other thread, but it never hurts to talk to the F parts suppliers (RicambiAmerica, All Ferrari Parts, TRutlands, etc.) to see if the US 308QV part is now available (unfortunately, I don't have access to the '84-'85 US 308QV SPC so I don't know what the part number is for the 308QV protection relay -- if someone knows please post it).

9. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Finally got my voltmeter put on the 308 and what I found was that when I measured the ACV between the battery terminals at 200 the voltmeter showed 25.7. At around 2k rpm it was showing around 29.

So now does it appear to be my alternator?

I did not check the other points once I saw that result.

PDG

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #10 Steve Magnusson, Aug 30, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
    2 things:

1. It's vitally important that you really understand what the "scale" means on the voltmeter. A displayed measurement of "29" when the meter is set to the 200V AC scale would be disaster (i.e. 29 volts AC), and very unlikely IMO, but a displayed measurement of "29" when the meter is set to the 200mV AC scale is fine (i.e. 29 millivolts AC).

2. While measuring the AC voltage is a good idea (it should be less than, say, ~100 millivolts AC when the engine is running), the DC voltage is more interesting/important.

My advice would be to set the voltmeter to the 20V DC scale (or 50V or 100V) and measure the voltage between the battery terminals when the engine isn't running -- this give you a reference as you know the voltage should be something like ~12.5 VDC so it helps confirm that you understand what the meter is displaying. Then start the engine and see if the meter reading goes to ~14 VDC (which is OK) or something higher (like 20 VDC, which would be bad).

If you make the same measurements with the meter really set to the 20V AC scale, the displayed value should be "0" when the engine isn't running, and maybe "00.02"~"00.10" (i.e., 20~100 millivolts AC) when the engine is running.

11. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Ok, reran the test (told you I was a newb at this electrical stuff). ;-P

The readings at 20 showed that the non-running voltage was around 12.5, and the running voltage was 13.8. So, it seems that that is alright after all.

I should mention that while working around the Wehrle relay it appears that someone had taken it apart before as it has scratch marks and the metal casing appears to be bent to hold it back on.

PDG

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No worries -- it's called gaining experience -- it's a good thing ;)

Sounds like your alternator is fine so please continue. If you do need to go to the 328 protection relay, give a shout, and I'll post expanded instructions with the wire colors for how to hook it up.

13. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    #13 GrayTA, Sep 3, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
    @Steve

I found this bit of information from one of your other posts:

The wiring diagrams and SPCs show that the US TR and the US 328 use the same (and better) STRIBEL part with the external fuse (61766200) and 4 terminals. It's the US 308QV that has the one with the inaccessible fuse link and five terminals (of which only 4 are used); however, as Tom J. mentioned you can use the US 328/TR part in a US 308QV if you move some of the wires around in the socket:

For '84-'85 US 308QV (K-Jet with Lambda):
    terminal 30 = +12V always
    terminal 31 = ground
    terminal 31b = another ground (not used)
    terminal 86 = +12V when the fuel pump is actually running
    terminal 30a = (If the protection relay is working) +12V that goes to run the injection system (i.e., if terminal 86 is at +12V and terminal 31 is at ground, then terminal 30 is connected by the switch contacts inside the protection relay to terminal 30a)

For US 328 (K-Jet with Lambda) and US TR (KE-Jet with Lambda):
    terminal 30 = +12V always
    terminal 31 = ground
    terminal 15 = +12V when the tachometric relay is closed and the fuel pump is actually running
    terminal 87 = (If the protection relay is working) +12V that goes to run the injection system (i.e., if terminal 15 is at +12V and terminal 31 is at ground, then terminal 30 is connected by the switch contacts inside the relay to terminal 87)

so:

wire on 308QV protection relay terminal 30 = connects to terminal 30 on 328/TR protection relay
    ...terminal 31 = ...terminal 31
    ...terminal 86 = ...terminal 15
    ...terminal 30a = ...terminal 87
    ...terminal 31b (not used) = ...N/A

I have now ordered the 328 relay. I was told by a very reliable source that it should just be a plug and play. Is that new information since you wrote the above?

Additionally, if I do need to cut and splice wires I would presume to simply cut off the wires and resplice them to match the above locations? (after disconnecting the battery of course) The information about which color wire goes where would likely be a huge help too.

Thanks for any other information you may have.

PDG

14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #14 Steve Magnusson, Sep 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm 99.99% sure that it is NOT DIRECTLY plug-and-play compatible because the 308QV protection relay has a functional tab in the center position that doesn't exist on the TR/328 Protection Relay. It is plug-and-play compatible in that the various functions on the tabs can be matched up -- but you need to move the wires around.

You shouldn't need to cut the wires (but it is a good idea to disconnect the battery when doing this because the P wire on terminal 30 is connected directly to the battery). I don't have a 308QV to examine, but my guess is that you should be able to move the existing female contacts around in your existing socket to make it work correctly. Worst case, you would remove the female contacts from the socket and then plug the female contacts onto the new TR/328 protection relay (and not use the plastic socket), but you shouldn't have to cut any wires. (Usually these female sockets are removed by going in from the front side with a small jeweler's screwdriver and bending a small metal tab inward. The female terminal + wire can then be withdrawn out the back of the socket. Prior to reinstallation, bend the little tab outward again, and it should "click" into place when you reinstall the female terminal + wire.)

This jpeg is my best cut at a clear set of instructions -- fell free to give a shout if you need something else:

15. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Ok, I got the relay in and switched the wires as you suggested. It didn't change anything. So, I checked it again and the wires were not matched up as you had suggested they would be. So, I completely removed the plug adapter and had just the loose wires with the female plugs and matched them up as you said. It made no difference at all.

It is getting power, as I checked the voltage with the meter. It was getting 12.6 V while not running.

I am at a loss as to what I should do next. Any ideas?

PDG

16. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #16 Steve Magnusson, Sep 4, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
    So, are you saying that the FV is now buzzing (and it wasn't before) -- but the runability is unchanged?

17. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    The FV is not buzzing, its as if there was no change at all after switching the relay.

I did, however, follow Pauls suggestion and removed the hose going to the intake and took a peek behind the butterfly valve and did find wetness there.

PDG

18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    So are you saying that you do now have +12V on the PN (beige/black) wire at the frequency valve connector (when the engine is running), but the FV does not vibrate?

(I don't like your report that you hooked up the wires to the new protection relay incorrectly initially. Have you confirmed that the new protection relay itself is still OK and working? -- that is, when terminal 15 is at +12V and terminal 31 is at ground, terminal 87 is connected to the +12V on terminal 30 -- which should put +12V on the PN wire at the frequency valve connector when the engine is running.)

19. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Ok, so I have gone back over this a dozen times before posting to ensure that I did the right things.

The first time I disconnected the wires:

30a was a black wire
    31 was a large beige wire
    86 was 2 tan wires
    30 was the three wire black/tan
    31b had no wire

I switched them so that the wires interchanged with the locations you suggested.

Locations of 30 and 31 were switched and 86 became 15.

At that point I had:

87= black wire
    30= 3wire black/tan
    21= large beige
    15= two tan wires

At this point there was no change in how it ran. Then I saw that the colors of the wires did not match up with how you had described them. So, I took them all out of the female harness and set them up so that:

31= black wire
    15= two tan
    30= large tan
    87= three wire set

Hope that makes sense.

PDG

20. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Additionally there is no power showing at the FV.

PDG

21. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #21 Steve Magnusson, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
    I understand your description of events perfectly clearly, but it doesn't make sense how your protection relay was originally connected -- not only because it doesn't match the schematic in your OM, but because these terminal numbers (30, 31, etc.) have industry "standardized" uses/conventions associated with them that just don't make sense for how you report that they were originally hooked up.

I'd also be concerned that the way that they were connected, your car has had the mixture intentionally mistweaked (with the FV not working) so, even if it was warm-running OKish before, it was running as a K-Jet without Lambda. Maybe something has now gone wrong with your WUR so even that (uncorrect K-Jet without Lambda) mode is now not working well, so, even if you get the FV working as it should, you may have other problems that need to be addressed and/or need to have the mixture retweaked.

However, I can say, with certainty, that your FV should be vibrating whenever the engine is running (i.e., there should be +12V power on the PN wire at the FV) so IMO you have no choice but to keep digging until you get the FV working. If it still runs poorly with the FV working, then you (or the Mechanic) would go to the next step to confirm/deny the various fuel pressures (cold and warm control pressures and the regulated supply pressure) and retweak the mixture if necessary.

My suggestion would be (with the key "off", and the engine not running, but with the battery connected, and the FV unplugged) to remove the new protection relay and use a jumper wire to directly connect the large P (beige) wire from terminal 30 directly to the three PN (beige/black) wires from terminal 87. Using your voltmeter then confirm that:

1. The large P wire is +12V (relative to the large N, black wire and another ground -- like the cylinder head casting), and

2. The PN (beige/black) wire in the FV connector is also +12V relative to the large N (black) wire and another ground.

If those two conditions are met, plug the FV back in and start the engine (with the jumper wire still in place) -- confirm/deny if the FV is vibrating when the engine is running.

If those two conditions aren't met (with the jumper in place), you have some very strange wiring problem (and we'll go from there ;)).

22. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Patrick -- any new information? Did you give up?

23. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    No new information yet. I don't have a jumper. I am not sure what that is to be honest. I have not had much time to do a lot with it with my work schedule. I have not and will not give up. I waited too long to get this car to give that up.

PDG

24. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #24 Steve Magnusson, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
    Nothing too special -- can be a simple as a short piece of 14~16~18 gauge wire with 1/4~3/8" of the insulation removed from each end that you would touch/mate to the female spade contacts in the relay socket in order to electrically connect them. Something a little more professional would be a short piece of 14~16~18 gauge wire with male spade terminals on each end that would better mate with the two female spade terminals in the relay socket. Here's an example of an illustration from a F WSM where they are instructing the Mechanic to remove a (different) relay and use a jumper wire to connect the 30 terminal in its relay socket to the 87 terminal in its relay socket:
    No rush -- give a shout when you know more.

25. Paul308GTSi

Paul308GTSi Formula 3

Oct 26, 2008
    Queensland Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul D
    I am watching this thread with great interest , , sooner or later I will need it.

I hope this is an additional help , , I recently got a colored wiring diagram from this site....

http://www.ferrari308gtbi.com/Wiring308.php

.....Wow ! Why on earth were wiring diagrams ever drawn in black and white with silly codes to keep searching for.

I got mine printed in A1 size (about 24" x 36") and it's easy to read. The print guy used to be an auto electrician and immediately went ahead and laminated it with a satin plastic so it will endure workshop life and be easy to read.