Need 308 Heater Blowers switch | FerrariChat

Need 308 Heater Blowers switch

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Verell, Jul 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    My heater blower (the 3-position one on the left of the row of console switches) disintigrated (literally, plastic pieces went everywhere!) when I tried to clean it. Apparently the old lube was all that was holding the plastic case together!

ANYONE HAVE ONE THEY'LL SELL ME?
    (Email [email protected] if you do. )

Went to Ferrari.uk's site, but none of the 308 catalogs list the switch in the price/description column (item#25, TAV113 for most models.) Usually a bad sign indicating it's NLA.

Have sent them eMAIL, they haven't had a chance to reply, but I expect they'll confirm that they're no longer available.

I'd make a new plastic housing, but this ones so shattered that I wasn't able to stick enough pieces together to even think of making a housing mold.

'gards,
    Verell

2. Trinacria

Trinacria Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Baldassare Guzzo
    I'll go through my box of F parts in the morning. I may have one. I'll let you know asap.

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    That'd be wunnerful if you do! Tnx for looking if you don't!

Btw, not many GTBis out there, even fewer in fly yellow looks sharp!.

4. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Hi Verell,

The folks at Maranello Auto Parts (T Rutlands used parts division) might be able to unearth one for you?

:) Carl

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Tnx Carl,

I've got the phone #s for the aftermarket suppliers, have delt with most of them over the years.

Wanted to see if anyone had one they wanted to sell 1st before I started calling. Also, I don't yet have a final word from Ferrari.uk, but am not hopeful of getting a new one.

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    BTW, the switch I need is for a '82 Euro 308 GTS QV,
    It's a 3 position (off-I-II) two speed switch.
    The carb'd 308s used a 2-position (on/off) switch.

Still no bottom line from Ferrari.uk.

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Verell, I assume you have tried the "usual" sources? I got lucky and found an attenna switch from Dennis McCann about three years ago...

I learned that these are Lucas switches and were used in some British cars too. Someone once told me they were used in Minis...and maybe even Rovers, but I was never able to confirm that, or get much help from the British parts houses.

Dave

8. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    The switches look a lot like the ones in my dad's Austin Healy, which I assume are Lucas.

9. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The switches are most definitely Lucas....the antenna switch I got came in a Lucas box.

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Should have just searched the archives for 'switch', rathar than 'heater switch'.

Found this recent related post w/some possible leads:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/234311.html

However, the plastic switch body looks very different from the bodies on my switches. Of cours, Lucas may have changed the design at some point.

11. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    http://www.vintagemotorspares.com/clientph/brmm4.nsf/supppages/hodge?OpenDocument&part=4

Verell, #297 might be the one....at least it sounds like a "three position". If #299 is spring loaded...that might be the infamous antenna switch...but that would be too good to be true...

12. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #12 Verell, Jul 28, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Still looking for a complete switch.
    Still no word from Ferrari.uk.

Best I've got is the link in the prev. post,
    & Brian Keegan @TRutlands has found me an intact plastic housing
    from an unknown broken 308 console switch. Should arrive
    Sat. Hopefully I'll be able to reconstruct how the misc. giblets fit
    together & use it. However I'd really like to get a complete switch just
    in case...

14. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

But won't that be below the console, and thus unseen?

15. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    That's what I meant by "there's room for it."
    (ie: below the console)

16. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The switch housing came in from TRutlands yesterday.
    Got lucky, the housing is not only a LUCAS housing, but it's a heater switch housing! Saved drilling out rivits & replacing the contacts in the housing.

Drilled out the rivits holding the broken cover on.

Then,spent all AM cleaning the housing & movable contacts. BTW, re-asembly is a real PITA, the movable contacts are spring loaded & at the least excuse the springs pop out & dive under furniture(don't ask).

One of the nylon pivots for a movable contact shows signs of overheating. Possibly why the switch went flaky. Am going to have to watch that pretty carefully. When I changed my fuses to glass GBCs, I noticed that the blower switch had a 20A fuse, possibly indicating an over-current problem.

When I pulled my spoiler to R&R it, I oiled my heater blowers. Greatly reduced the rolling friction. Hopefully reduced the current draw also. Guess I need to pull the fuse for an ammeter test tho. Best also make sure I don't have a blower squirrel cage rubbing against the housing.

I still want to come up with a complete switch as I don't trust that over-heated nylon contact pivot to hold up.

BTW, it does look just like #297(below) when assembled.

17. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    While doing a final check of the switch, I discovered it wasn't operating correctly. Ended up disassembling it again, with the usual small springs & nylon pieces going in many directions. Again, took me about 4 hours to reassemble the 4!#% thing so it worked correctly.

It's now in the car & working, but I decided I'd order a #297 from Vintage Motor Spares as a hedge. Will let you know what I find out when it arrives in a couple of weeks.

'Gards,
    Verell